Author Topic: Bella - The 88 Project Vert  (Read 7495 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Bella - The 88 Project Vert
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:49:35 AM »
As most of you know, I have an 88 vert that we have been working on.

2005 - Purchased the vert out of kentucky.  The interior was shot and the engine was trashed.  We stripped both out and began our search for black interior peices. 

2006 - Nothing new
2007 - Nothing New
2008 - Nothing New
2009 - Removed the engine transmission and ecu from an 86 Blue GXL and instaalled it into the convertible.  Spent one entire week doing this effort.  Managed to get the car running at 1am, just in time to be able to drive it down to the Woodward Dream Cruise.

2010 - Added carpet and other interior peices to the car.  Fixed minor items that broke and currently using as a daily Driver.  The top we cheated and just added fabric to it to make it look nicer.  At least not getting rain in through the sides anymore.  Still have to add speakers and a radio and get the climate control fixed.  We will post pictures of the progress shortly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:41:26 PM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Re: The Project Vert for Krazykreiner!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:01:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As most of you know, I have an 88 vert that we have been working on.

2009 - Removed the engine transmission and ecu from an 86 Blue GXL and instaalled it into the convertible.  Spent one entire week doing this effort. 

Sorry I just had to comment, good thing you got that stuff from a BLUE GXL, I hear the RED ones are real shit. LOL.  And why did it take a week to swap that stuff?  What problems did you run into?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:23:48 AM »

Oh i see make fun of the RED ones lol.  I have a RED GXL still awaiting its new engine.  That is a slow process but should be on the road soon.  The red 87 GXL i have owned since 98.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 01:39:56 PM »
If you are anywhere near me and ever want a  :'(hand with something, just let me know. I know it make all the difference sometimes.  Funny I have a red rx7 and a blue one too.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »
Careful  what you ask for.  lol.  I could use help getting things moved around in my garage so i can pull the vert in for the winter and to strip the blue one down for parts.  I am just constantly busy, so i have to plan out my time to make things happen.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 04:25:34 PM »
I hear you about being constantly busy,  I work at least 60 hours a week  and am out of town half the time.

I am usually home on the weekends, let me know if you need a hand.  I am thinking about getting a vert for my lady as well it would be cool to check yours out.  I'm going to be out of town until the 11th but after that I'm sure I could make something happen.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline Kentetsu

• The older I get, the faster I go
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Glad to see you guys making some progress finally. :)
"Learn from the past, or it will become your future...."

'85 GS 12a/Sterling carb/Respeed coilovers/Respeed front swaybar/Respeed adj. rear spring perches/Illuminas

AutoX vids @ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 07:33:15 AM »
Thanks Kentetsu.  we are making some progress.  not as much as i would like, but its a project thats for sure.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:52:08 AM »
I'm still available to help if you need anything. Tonight we are spraying the car, but I'm sure I can make time this week.

I think we should all just group up and knock these cars out one at a time.  Between all of us on here I'm sure we have all the expertise needed to get this stuff done easily.  Also making use of all of our individual connections I bet we could save some money too.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 08:20:24 AM »
Definitly.  this weekend and next weekend i am going to be busy.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »
Well I finally broke down and installed the fan shroud and stock intake back onto the vert.  I hope this makes a big difference in the cooling of the car.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
Yay!! No more overheating for Rich.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert
'94 Silver Stone Metallic Touring

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »
Well time for an update.

The overheating issue has been narrowed down to air getting into the cooling system from the combustion side of the engine.  This had been causing it to push coolant out through the overflow.  For a true fix will require a full or partial rebuild.

As a temporary fix, I have installed a pressurized tank so that it will let some air out of the system first before pushing coolant out.  While re-installing the thermostat, the bolt broke and required to be cut out. (Thanks ItsWill)  The system will still get air trapped into the radiator, but its easier to fix and doesn’t require dumping a bunch of coolant into the system.

I got some new/used shocks and Tien springs from fidelity.  I got the rear ones installed yesterday and that makes a huge difference in the drivability of the Vert.  I was unable to get the fronts replaced becuase of the in ability to get the front lugnuts off.  I am hoping to get to that this weekend.  Otherwise the effort on this car has been slow.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 08:52:34 PM »
Gor the most part the presserized tank setup has been working well.  I am getting some air build up in the radiator.  The radiator does not have a overflow connection.  I tried to install one, but the one i had happened to leak like an open fuacet and no amount of stop leak was going to fix it.  I went back to the original radiator setup. 

AS soon as i can get our mazda 6 back up and running, i can then put the vert up for storage.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 06:20:39 AM »
Well this past weekend i swapped out the radiator, and replaced the battery.  I converted the convertible back to an S4 alternator.  It had an S5 alternator on it that had failed.  Everything seems to be running right now.  I am hoping i have elimintated the coolant air issue.  I won't really know that until i truly test it out.  I did reconnect the thermo sensor on the radiator.  I had to fix a connection first and the temp seems more realistic.  Well testing in the driveway, the temp did spike up a bit before the thermostat opened and then it cooled down.  The thermostat didnt open immediatly as it should have, so may be something that i need to watch.  I am looking forward to being able to drive it again.

I really need to get a new convertible top for it though and an audio system.  That is my next major goals for the car. 
"Long Live Rotary"