Author Topic: '85 GSL SA Reversion  (Read 1877 times)

Offline XLNDRVR

• Revotee
'85 GSL SA Reversion
« on: October 30, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »
Here's a snapshot of my current resto project, an '85 GSL with 230K miles, which I originally got for free several years ago and refurbished and drove until I stripped it down to the shell a couple of years ago.

So far, I've stripped almost everything out of the shell.  The dash and glass will stay in the vehicle.  I've refurbished the fuel tank, rear end, and rear suspension links, installing poly bushings.  I've purchased a new driveshaft, new Watts pivot w/Mazdatrix reinforcing bracket, and the Re-Speed R&P conversion kit.

Next steps are to prep the front struts for Re-Speed coilovers, rebuild the brake calipers, rebuild the transmission, strip and mod the Nikki carb, coat the RB roadrace dual exhaust, and tackle the body work.  I'm hoping to stay motivated and have the underbody repaired and coated by spring, paint the exterior next summer, and have assembly completed by this time next year.  We'll see...

I've been slowly accumulating the components needed to revert this FB to the appearance of an SA.  I finally found the last of what I've needed, this week.  I like the interior of the '85, the GSL's LSD and four wheel discs, and the exterior lines of the SA.  90% sure that I"ll stick to this plan.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:15:59 PM by XLNDRVR »
'85 GSL in a billion pieces.  For now - stock 12A, full RB dual exhaust, Re-Speed R&P conversion, 15x7 Konig rims, Tokico Blues, RB lowering springs, poly bushings, rats removal.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Re: '85 GSL SA Reversion
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »
Nice project!!! The more I look at FBs the more I want one.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline Kentetsu

• The older I get, the faster I go
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:57:11 PM »
Respeed R&P = Yummy!  :)

Can't wait to see this thing on the road Mike.  Hurry up so you can come racing with me! lol
"Learn from the past, or it will become your future...."

'85 GS 12a/Sterling carb/Respeed coilovers/Respeed front swaybar/Respeed adj. rear spring perches/Illuminas

AutoX vids @ You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:04:01 AM »
I hope you can make great progress on it this winter.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline pjr

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 06:17:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...I've been slowly accumulating the components needed to revert this FB to the appearance of an SA.  I finally found the last of what I've needed, this week.  I like the interior of the '85, the GSL's LSD and four wheel discs, and the exterior lines of the SA.  90% sure that I"ll stick to this plan.

Mike

Mike, that's a very cool plan. The 84-85 interiors are really comfortable, look good, and are well laid out. And exterior-wise, the lines of the SA really take mods such as spoilers much better than a FB.... very coool!

Offline XLNDRVR

• Revotee
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:43:16 AM »
Mike, that's a very cool plan. The 84-85 interiors are really comfortable, look good, and are well laid out. And exterior-wise, the lines of the SA really take mods such as spoilers much better than a FB.... very coool!

The '84/'85 interior really is the best, IMO.  Thank goodness I don't have a red one, though.  Not crazy about red. 

This week's plan: blast, paint, and install new bushings/ball joints in LCAs.  A little bit at a time...
'85 GSL in a billion pieces.  For now - stock 12A, full RB dual exhaust, Re-Speed R&P conversion, 15x7 Konig rims, Tokico Blues, RB lowering springs, poly bushings, rats removal.

Offline pjr

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:50:24 AM »

The '84/'85 interior really is the best, IMO.  Thank goodness I don't have a red one, though.  Not crazy about red....

OUCH!  ;) Well, it is what it is!

Offline XLNDRVR

• Revotee
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »

The '84/'85 interior really is the best, IMO.  Thank goodness I don't have a red one, though.  Not crazy about red....

OUCH!  ;) Well, it is what it is!

Thought that comment might risk tweaking someone.  Sorry.

Update: De-rusted and coated the RB center section and muffler.  Sending misc. suspension and steering parts for sandblasting.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »
it was a sign of the times!!!!
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline pjr

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »

No tweaking here -- it is what it is. At least it;s not brown! :)

I've been adding tweaks (shifter knob, mats, etc) to emphasize some of the other colors of the interior.... eliminate a little of the RED everywhere.

Offline XLNDRVR

• Revotee
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 05:54:21 AM »

No tweaking here -- it is what it is. At least it;s not brown! :)

I've been adding tweaks (shifter knob, mats, etc) to emphasize some of the other colors of the interior.... eliminate a little of the RED everywhere.

I had a brown/brown FB several years ago.  Wasn't crazy about the brown exterior, but did like the interior.  Wish I still had it - I was t-boned by a guy running a red light.

Red interiors still show up - Porsche Boxter, Cadillac CTS-V, Mustang GT, Corvette, and others, so you're hangin' with a decent crowd.  Probably seems like a good idea when first buying the car, but I'm not sure about the long term.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 09:26:33 AM »
Red interior certainly gives you a dated look.  Not that it is a bad thing but it certaily highlights the year it was made.  Black is a great universal interior color,  White is another one, but much harder to keep clean.  Its all a matter of personal choice.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline Chad D.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 04:02:29 PM »
Red is nice as a highlight colour to a black or grey interior. The rx8 looks nice with the black/red leather interior. I just prefer grey/black cloth because I don't slide around as much.
Faded red on the other hand looks better in a 84 firebird with t-tops.

Offline XLNDRVR

• Revotee
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
Anyone local have or know of someone with a K8 Tornado 7 or 626?  Haven't seen the color in person since the mid-80's and am considering painting my project K8.  I'd like to see it again on a vehicle before committing. 

The alternative would be buying a paint sample, but nothing beats the real thing on an entire car.

Thanks!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »
No clue on who would have that.   If you do find it, it may have some sun fade from the years.
"Long Live Rotary"