Author Topic: s4 n/a with s5 n/a swap  (Read 2620 times)

Offline RX-7racer

s4 n/a with s5 n/a swap
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »
soo about a week ago i picked up an s5 n/a engine with roughly 60000 miles on a rebulid, transmission, driveshaft, ecu, and harness for $375. Engine was really dirty but seems to be in good condition otherwise. Unfortunately converting completely to s5 involves more than what i have and the cost to obtain the rest is to much right now. So i did some research and found that i can swap in just the s5 block, manifolds, and fuel rails (the main parts improved from s4 to s5) as long as i retain the s4 throttle body w/TPS, s4 ecu, AFM/intake tube, OMP (which im gonna remove to run premix), wiring harness with injectors, and front cover with water pump. While i have everything apart im going mad cleaning everything to make it look near new and fixing any broken lines and replacing all the vacuum lines and removing emissions stuff/ installing appropriate blockoff plates. Also im gonna get the atkins aux port sleeves (better flow) to replace the carbon crusted stock sleeves. as of right now i have it stripped down to the block. ill be reassembling everything after its all clean and i get all new gaskets, vacuum lines, and fuel lines (removing vacuum rack for emissions)
 so thats my story as of now.

but i do have a couple questions. anybody know of a good carbon remover? and also with my current pojected setup what kinda power do you guys think ill be making? im hoping for about 170-175, but thats prolly a reach with a 60000 mile motor, stock exhaust and s4 electronics.

Offline gzfqy6

Re: s4 n/a with s5 n/a swap
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »
I have had pretty good luck with Sea Foam........ available at most auto parts places.
"No matter how late it is, it's never as late as it is later on"

'84 GSL-SE. ReSpeed, Mazdatrix, RacingBeat, G-Force Engineering bits, Miata gearset, 15" Drag DR-9 wheels.

Offline RX-7racer

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 08:31:48 AM »
do the parts need to be soaked in it, or can it be sprayed on and scrubbed away after a few minutes?

Offline Chad D.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
you can spray and scrub off after a bit
for the inside.
take the plugs out, fill the chambers by manually turning the crank, let it sit for a bit, put a little bit of 2cy in there, crank it again, put the plugs in and "here comes smokey!"
 ;D

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:39:37 PM »
This could be a "good" thing or a "bad" thing. I've seen seafoam work on a rotary engine as well as completely destroy one. The main focus of seafoam is to remove carbon correct?? Well after years of cycles that same carbon build up is more than likely holding your apex seals in their place. So the carbon in that case is actually working in your favor. Now if this engine has 60,000 original miles on it then "me" personally wouldn't do this because that means the engine has been sitting around collecting carbon deposits, I would just let the engine do its thing. Now, if you are taking apart the entire engine and are rebuilding it then by all means go for it. Not trying to scare you but I have seen this happen first hand. It's your car. Like I said there is a good and bad to everything...

Just my 2 cents

Good luck bro, keep us posted
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert
'94 Silver Stone Metallic Touring

Offline RX-7racer

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 07:49:41 PM »
the engine itself has some 120,000 miles on it, but it was rebuilt roughly 60,000 miles ago with new apex seals and rotor housings. but it has beeen sitting for a few years as well. i can see inside the housing and the rotors dont have to much carbon as far as i can see, most of the carbon i wanna get rid of is in the LIM, but i also wanna clean up any carbon internally if i can do it safely. i read about doing water injection (basically running water into the intake via vacuum lines) once the engine is running to remove carbon, but im not so sure right now.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 08:17:56 PM »
Don't do anything, seriously.  Seafoam is bad for rotaries.  I ran it in mine and my car ran like shit for a good month. If you want to do anything to remove carbon just rev the bag out of the engine once a week.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline RX-7racer

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 05:37:14 AM »
im just gonna use sea foam for the manifolds and the 5th and 6th port sleeves. Internally i dont see much carbon. That engine will probalbly see redline several times a week soo internal carbon isnt much of a concern. The LIM, which had qutite a bit of carbon in it, however wont get cleared when redlining. That is where i found most of the carbon when i stripped down the engine.

Offline RX-7racer

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »

intake all cleaned up, TB ported
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:03:54 PM by RX-7racer »

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 01:13:57 PM »
that looks great.  I have an engine that needs a good cleaning that i just got, want to clean it for me?   lol
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline RX-7racer

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:50:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
that looks great.  I have an engine that needs a good cleaning that i just got, want to clean it for me?   lol

lol i barely have time for mine.

heres the block all painted and lookin pretty (well at least for a 60,000 mile engine)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »
That looks pretty
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline RX-7racer

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »
got a shit load of gaskets and misc. parts from mazdaspeed

Offline RX-7racer

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »
heres the block with water pump installed, almost getting there!

Offline RX-7racer

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 09:40:48 PM »
Got my summit rpm switches for the VDI and 5th/6th ports, and a digital water temp. and oil pressure gauge with a dual gauge pod... evetually gonna get everything put together!