Author Topic: Groll's Baby!!!!  (Read 8184 times)

Offline awfc3s

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
  • ~Keep It Sideways~
Re: Groll's Baby!!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 07:55:47 PM »
It sucks that we couldn't get that thing to work. I think we all were hoping that it was gonna just be a weekend project. Well at least you can help yourself in the long run by building a somewhat more reliable engine. Those 3mm seals will be way better for the "you know what."

Keep your head up.
'88 SE LSX (Dead)
'87 LSX drift car
'90 TurboII vert
'94 Silver Stone Metallic Touring

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
The car is back at my house for the winter.  Hopefully we will get a new engine together so that we can install in early spring.  Until then it will sit in my driveway waiting patiently for its next chapter in life.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:06:10 PM by ITSWILL »
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »
Its amazing how Woodward gets your ass motivated to work on a car.  I have started cleaning the housings somewhat, trying to ensure all major gunk is removed.  I will be inventorying my rebuild parts soon.  I know there are a few parts iI have to buy, but have not bothered purchasing them yet.  The important aspect is I have finally started in the rebuild of the original engine to my baby.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
Amazing story! Can't wait to hear more
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 05:54:23 AM »
Well Things have finally began to move again on my mythical beast.  The original engine i have for the car has been in peices for many many years.  As a birthday gift from Will an Andrew, they bought me coolant seals that i have needed.  so on sunday Marcth 9th, I took my engine over to Will's place to begin the assembly process.  We checked the clearances and they are appearing to be in spec.  I had cleaned the housings and irons at the end of the summer, but we still media blasted one iron and one housing and painted them.  The Iron got a nice Red coat and the housing didnt shine up as expected for a clear coat so instead it got painted and alluminium color.  They are looking super sharp and I couldn't be happier.  I will post some pictures later, but since the last used engine i installed didnt cut it, the new one should.  I had the rotors milled out to 3mm many many years ago.  I am looking to eventually put a supercharger on it.  We will see on how the build progresses.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 07:51:20 AM »
Well last night did some more media blasting a painting.  Here is the results of the work.  Ther two irons and housing on the right we painted last night.  The iron and housing on the left we did last sunday.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »
I just placed an order for a few missing internal parts from the dealership.  I hate ordering from their but i figured it was my best bet and I dont have to worry about shipping.  I can take my pieces in and compare them to ensure they are correct.  I should get them in about a week.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 08:07:30 AM »
Saturday, I went to the dealership to pick up the parts that i ordered.  Everything was correct except the the Apex seal spring.  I needed the 3mm 13B apex seal spring and they ordered in the 12A 3 mm seal spring.  I have to wait a few more days for that peice to come in.  As soon as i get my coolant seals then i can begine assembling the engine with Will.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »
Come fix your engine! 
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 09:17:08 AM »
Need to plan a couple of days to get the keg together.  Maybe we can do this sunday
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 04:18:05 PM »
Last night's rotary madness. Progress was made, would have finished the keg if it wasn't for a cracked corner seal.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 07:58:12 AM »
Thanks for uploading a couple of the pics of our progress.  Also, thank you for coming out and helping.  I will get that corner seal on order so that we can get it finished. 
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
Quick update, i got the 3mm corner seals in and the engine mostly together.  I have the tension bolts hand tight while i awaite for the tension bolt washers to come in.  the ones i had were looking really ugly and the rubber on them wasnt any good.  Atkins had the set for a fair price.  Then the wife decided to order the rotor cake pan and two of the larger cookie cutters at the same time.  That way when its running, we can celebrate with cake!!!!
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »

It's best to somehow label the top of the bolts, just makes it so much easier and harder to get confused. I torqued them down to 10ftlbs in the pattern before i finished them off.

Bolt #17 is different. Also, make sure the ends of the bolts are clean and oiled.

Torque specs! 23-29ftlbs for the tension bolts.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login This will come in handy from here on, I also have a dial indicator and pilot bearing puller, which will make life easy.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »
Today Will came over and with some help from my neighbors, and my daughter steering the car, we moved it out of my back yard and onto Will's Trailer.  From there, Will and I unloaded it at his house where my half assembled engine is currently located.  We proceeded to remove the radiator, engine and transmission out of the car.   I have attached some pics of the new engine and the last attempt of making my car run.

On a sad note, I looked at the last expiration tag on my license plate which expired on March of 2006 and realized that the last time my Red car has been driven on the road was in August of 2005.  It has been at least 9 years that I have not been able to drive my baby.
"Long Live Rotary"