Author Topic: Groll's Baby!!!!  (Read 8174 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: Groll's Baby!!!!
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2014, 07:53:50 AM »
Now that i have it running, though it takes a trick with the fuel pump to get going some of the time, I am left with working on little stuff for my car.  It does seem to be burning a lot of oil right now.  After some driving i still get white smoke pouring out of my exhuast.  I am not sure if it is from initialy starting it or not, I dumped alot of oil into it to get the compression up.  The other thing i can think of is maybe an OMP line is stuck open.  Maybe during the camping trip, we can get a few heads on it and get it solved.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »
Took the car on its first road trip and overall it ran well.  The oil pressure was through the roof, which caused me to run through 5 quarts of oil to go from Pontiac to Grand Haven campground.  I provided the smoke screen for the getaway. After getting to the camp ground, we removed the Atkins oil thermal modification from the eccentric shat and it brought the oil level back down to normal.  After running for a little while, the smoke cleared up and the car is running great.  Overall I am happy with my baby (Jenny).
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2014, 10:37:44 AM »
So this is what I had done for the fuel tank repair on the celica, as we talked about this past weekend.

The tank had rusted through along the rear seam & was leaking fuel anywhere over 1/2 tank. To repair it, I pulled the tank and wire-brushed the area around the leaking seam off down to bare metal, then covered that in JB Weld to create some sort of structure & strength there, and then coated that in a rust-inhibiting primer and then underbody coating.  For the inside of the tank, I went with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Its basically a 2-part epoxy-type product, comes with good directions for how to prep, clean & coat the tank, and makes a nice, thick, durable seal.  The sealer requires a pretty thorough cleaning (which you'll want to do on the inside of a 20+ year old tank anyway), and recommended sloshing acetone or lacquer thinner around inside the tank after plugging/taping over the various holes for sending units, lines etc.  I did this a couple times, and then once more with some mildly soapy water, then clean water.  Then I stuck a hair dryer in each of the holes big enough to help dry everything out.

Since the sealer is basically an epoxy, you need to be careful how you block off holes and lines.  With access plates like the fuel pump/evap & return lines, just taping over the hole works since you can cut away anything that hardens over the hole, but if there are small ports that would be hard to open back up (with a drill, knife etc), then threading something through that you can blow air through to keep them clear is useful.

Then, just mix up the epoxy, pour it in, seal off the hole that you poured through, and rotate the tank around to be sure you're coating all the surfaces.

It's been about 3 years now, and the repair is holding fine. I'd also try to replace or make new gaskets for any connections to the tank, and I had re-made the fuel and rear brake lines at the same time, since they were looking a bit rusty.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Took the car on its first road trip and overall it ran well.  The oil pressure was through the roof, which caused me to run through 5 quarts of oil to go from Pontiac to Grand Haven campground.  I provided the smoke screen for the getaway. After getting to the camp ground, we removed the Atkins oil thermal modification from the eccentric shat and it brought the oil level back down to normal.  After running for a little while, the smoke cleared up and the car is running great.  Overall I am happy with my baby (Jenny).

Come on Rich, we all know you just put the wrong fuel in it!

86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »
I thought that was the right fuel for it!!!!!! lol  I am glad it finally stopped burning lots of oil.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
I just love those 91 5 spoke wheels.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »
I went to make my power steering work last night and after installing the belt and putting fluid in and working it through the system, I sprank a leak through the hard cooler lines in two spots.  I need to replace those now.  Will did point out they looked like they could fail at anytime.  I agreed with him, so the failure wasnt totally unexpected.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2014, 02:14:34 PM »
Ouch, seems like a common problem with these, I have the same issue on the vert.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2014, 08:54:43 AM »
The power steering is the one subsystem of my 'vert that I haven't had to touch... I guess the continuously leaking oil has protected those lines from rust?

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2014, 01:54:50 PM »
The oil tends to fend of the water and salt which would cuase it to rust fairly quickly.  My car sitting for so long didnt help the oil stay on it to protect it.  Also it was not garaged the whole time either.  Now i need to find a replacement.  I don't know if i have one sitting with my parts at all.  I have to go digging in my shed tomorrow.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »
de power the manual rack!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 03:14:17 PM »
Agreed, don't be a pussy de power it.  But if you want to be a wimp I have one you can have.   ;)
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »
Thought I'd post this here... So, Rich swung over my place and we decided to take advantage of Veterans day with a free movie and a free meal somewhere RX7 style!  Fury is an excellent film, it was free, but I would have definitely paid to watch it, oh and Hooters food is good. So anways Rich's starter wasn't disengaging... took a bit of getting to speed and popping the clutch until it finally disengaged. Figured it wouldn't fix it self, so off to my place we went, where I happened to have a spare S5 starter. We looked it up, and the NA S5 is compatible with the NA S4, so quick and easy swap, and no more sticking starter issues. We drove to Royal Oak in both of our GXLs and swung back around to Hooters where we eventually went our ways. Here are some terrible pictures that my terrible camera on my terrible iphone took terribly.

Oh and I forgot this from the cruise, you can see a slight blue smokey haze!

1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2014, 09:03:56 AM »
Jenny loves her new starter, thanks Marcus.  I enjoyed veterns day.  It was great to get out and do something during the day that I generally don't get to do.  The movie Fury was exceptionally good too.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2014, 08:26:34 AM »
Well I have been forced to drive my baby for the past week after the wife flattened a tire on the Mazda 6.  Today i found it leaking coolant from the drain plug of the radiator.  I can not tighten it anymore.  it can turn by hand but will not tighten up.  Looks like i will have to get this car put up for the winter and get a new radiator for it along with the many other fixes that have been on hold.
"Long Live Rotary"