Author Topic: Groll's Baby!!!!  (Read 8166 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: Groll's Baby!!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »
The last pic is my car parked in Will's half finished pole barn.  When I was up there in the Vert, that made a total of 6 Rx7s at his house.  That is a little more then half the number of RX7s that made it out to dream cruise.  The sad part is of those 6 cars.  Only two of them were actually running and registered to drive on the road.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 07:03:11 PM »
Good point.

As soon as your car is done and I get rid of the 91 the 20B is rolling in to get worked on.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 08:29:21 AM »
Last night i removed the parts that i need from the other engine.  I will be cleaning and preping them for paint tonight.  I have to go pick up some cleaner and scrub brush after work today. 

I would love to have things going back together by sunday, but i know that would be really pushing everything. 
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 12:08:03 PM »
Last night i started painting some of the intake parts along with the oil pan and a few other misc. parts.  I have some more painting and parts cleaning to do.  Its looking good.  I should be able to start assembling the last pieces soon.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 08:04:57 AM »
Assembly of components onto the engine has officially begun.  I took pictures last night of where i left off.  I will post them when i get home today.  I even painted the transmission and mounting bracket.  Mostly to reduce corrosion and make easier to clean and service in the future.  I am making progress, though it is slower then i would like.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:57:14 PM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 10:06:50 PM »
Today a lot of progress has been made.  Murz came over to help me.  Without his extra hand, I wouldn't have made as much progress.  We mated the engine to the transmission.  Pushed the beats from its resting spot into the garage.  Installed the engine and trans.  Finally installed the upper intake.  I started making all of the connections before calling it a night.  Murz did take pics for me. 
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 07:04:14 AM »
Looks good. Keep up the momentum!
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 11:46:05 AM »
Here's the pictures I took, progress has been made! Pushing the car up the hill took a bit of momentum haha.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 05:45:25 AM »
Wish i could have worked on the car past two days, but since My wife hadnt seen me for over a week, she told me i was not allowed to do any work for the last two days of labor day weekend.  I am looking forward to getting back into the garage and buttoning things up to get it running.

Murz, thanks for the pictures. 

I added a couple of pictures i took of the work i had gotten done after Murz left for the evening.  The biggest problem is trying to identify all of the right bolts or nuts, since removal was done quickly without tracking those items.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:57:25 AM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 06:29:47 AM »
No new pictures from last nights work.  It doesn't look like we did much, but we spent the evening attching vaccumn lines, coolant hoses, re-routing some wirng i had done before since we beleived i had connected the fuel injectors in the wrong order.  Murz brought by a missing exhuast piece i needed in order to complete the exhuast.  Thursday I will go on a little shopping spree to the parts store to get all of the things that i know i need.  I also need to dig through my parts in my shed to pull out a couple of things that i have been forgetting to grab, such as the Mass air flow sensor and the connecting tub for it.  The biggest reason for the slow up in work has been trying to locate all of the right bolts and nuts to go back on the car.  At least there is another engine that I was able to start pilfering from.  I try to use it as a last resort when my searches for 10+ minutes yield nothing usable.  Thursday we should be able to fire it up.  There isn't much left to do.  My list of to-do items has certainly shrunk.  My stuff is in Blue on the left side of the pic.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 06:32:24 AM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 06:41:24 AM »
I came across some old school pics of when i first put this same engine into the car (first re-build), before we blew out the side seals that then turned this from a regular toy to a long running multi-year project with two other engine attempts.  I did not do the first rebuild.  My little brother tore the engine down for me and my dad finished the rebuild after it sat at his house for a couple of years and my little brother wasnt going to touch it any more.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2014, 09:45:41 PM »
Progress has been made!!!!  I got the car to fire up for the first time in 9 years.  Managed to get it running briefly 4 different times today.  For some reason it seems to be just dumping fuel in.  So I am getting way to much fuel and just not enough compression to keep it from firing up reliably every time. 

Here are a couple of pics from this evening and an updated to do list.  I am hoping to get the fuel issue solved soon.    If anyone has any ideas, please let me know
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2014, 08:55:34 PM »
It's ALIVE!!!!!  Cant seem to get the idle to hold lower then 1200 rpm, but finally got it running.  it is starting on its own.  I reconnected a solenoid into the vacumn line for the fuel pressure regulator.  3 of the four solenoids for the rats nest seemed not to be working.  Good thing I took that out.  Now have to figure out how to get the idle down and start buttoning everything up and a test drive is in order.

It is a happy evening.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 09:20:31 PM »
Congratulations man this is awesome news! Is it the Idle adjust screw turned open? Maybe a vacuum leak? Glad you got it running man!
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 06:21:27 AM »
Last night, Will and I took it around the block for the first time.  It was great to drive that car.  Oh how i have missed it.  It was a little hard to start, but it ran very smoothly.  We had to make a minor adjustment to the idle when we got back into the driveway.

What is left is bleeding the brakes adding an oil catch can, drilling and tapping the coolant bleed off, swapping tires onto the new rims and adding coolant resivour along with washing and waxing and many other minor things.

The nice thing is Will was able to get his garage back to park his Rx7 in again. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:33:20 AM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"