Author Topic: Groll's Baby!!!!  (Read 8169 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: Groll's Baby!!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2015, 07:01:20 AM »
Last weekend I had pulled my car out of storage and was prepping it so that my wife could drive it to lansing and back.  After getting the dash put back together and everything working as i t should, i decided to drive it to the gas station and fill it up.  as i took off out of my driveway and got two blocks away, i went to turn on the major road there and the drivers side lower ball joint broke loose.  It damaged my front orginal fender some.  The good thing is Murz was coming by to help with the 84 that i have, so he was able to help my load the car onto my car dolly and tow it two blocks back to my house along with get it pushed into the garage.

I have never replaced the ball joints in my car for the 18 years that i have owned it.  I am sure they are original.  I decided to replace both.  The parts just arrived Monday.  Hopefully i can get them on soon and enjoy my car again.  Murz has some pics of my car.  Hopefully he can upload them.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2015, 08:25:50 AM »
Here she is, the good thing is that this happened near by, rather than on a trip to lansing haha. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »
Hope it doesn't rain this week either :(

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2015, 05:46:56 AM »
It did sprinkle a little bit, last night but with Murz's help we got the ball joints replaced on the Jenny.  the bolt for the drivers side was not cooperating very well and kept wanting to round out.  managed pounding a smaller size socket on it and getting it off that way.  I also found that the bolts holding the sway bar in place had some horrible corrosion, so we replaced those also. At least she is up and running now.  After i bleed the clutch line then it will be all good for the road.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2015, 05:51:54 AM »
I have been doing lots of little work to the car.  I gave it a redneck front end alignment, which was needed after replacing the lower ball joints.  The car really needs a profesional alignment done to it.  I modified the cruise control bracket to eliminate the cold start assist mount since i have an oil blow off catch can there.  Painted the steel of the cruise control unit and painted the bracket too.  I created a mounting bracket and painted it to install switches just under the dash.  The purpose is to install a fuel pump interrupt switch for when the car floods.  Unfortunatly the interrupt switch i picked up at Autozone works in completly the opposite manner.  It is off and completes the circuit when pressed.  I found the right type last night and ordered 4 of them so that i have extra switches that are on hand.  It operates by breaking the circuit when pressed. Unfourtunatly, the nice hole i created will probaly not work for it, but its a large enough bracket that i can create a new hole and utilize the original hole for something else.

I re-connected my SAFC II that i had in my car.  Now i need to re-learn how to use it.  I got power running to my external 6 disc cd player that puts out a RF signal.  That just leaves me to test everything out on my car.  after i install the new switch and learn my SAFC II.

I will try to get pictures later.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
My momentary switches finally arrived.  I installed them the same day.  got the wires tucked away and hidden.  You cant see the switch, but you can reach it and push it in while de-flooding the car.  Then release the button for the fuel pump to kick on automatically once it fires up.  I am very happy with the result and plan to use in on our convertible.  Plus, i can hide additional switches for lights and other features in the same place. 

Now i need to verify what is cuasing my idle to have a little bit of a bounce.  I am not sure if it is the thermowax or the BAC.  If i can get the bounce taken care of, then we will be golden.  Any ideas are appreciated.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2015, 09:17:34 PM »
Here is a picture of the bracket i installed with the momentary switch for the fuel pump.  I had painted it aluminum.

I drove the car to indiana and back this weekend.  It run very well.  For 9 total hours of driving it did burn through a half of a quart of oil.  That is a definite improvement over the very first trip during engine break in when it went through 5 quarts in 3.5 hours of driving. 

The cruise control was working wonderfully too During my trip this weekend.  The wiper control the itswill fixed for me worked great.  I hadnt had intermitent wipers since i bought the car 19 years ago.  I needed it too since the whole time i was driving it was raining on and off fri and sat. 

I still need to really work on tuning the car with the SAFC II that i have. I did some preliminary settings, but need to really fine tune it.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2015, 09:32:55 PM »
What characteristic of you car do you need to tune with the SAFC?
I can't rememember, does it have stock rate injectors in it?  Are the 6th ports functioning or just wired open?

The engine is very stock and you have no way to measure air fuel ratio.  You better be careful not to lean it out and pop your seals.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2015, 09:43:04 PM »
The six ports are wide open (actually removed) and stock ecu, and stock injectors.  I think i may need a new bac or thermo pellet to elimiinate the bouce in the idle.  Right now once warmed up the idle will sit anywhere from 850 to 1100 with some bounce to it.  It changes on where it wants to sit.  Most times its mid 900s. I Want to insure it transitions right and is not. set to rich and definitly not to lean.  Its little stuff trying to weed out at the moment.  Still want to add a supercharger so thats when the safc will really be handy.  Till then trying to properly learn what can do with it.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2015, 10:08:17 PM »
You might be able to do something about the idle with the SAFC.  Maybe you can richen the fuel in the low RPMs to help out with the idle and the lack of 6th ports.  I would only add fuel and I wouldnt touch anything above 1500 RPM to start.

Unfortunately it will not be up to the task if you decide to add a supercharger. 
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2015, 05:56:47 AM »
Last night with the help of Fidelity and his car hoist, we swapped out the gas tank.  I think something did not get connectected properly in the upper part of the fill hose.  I am unable to properly fill the tank while at a gas pump.  Since it was late, we didnt investigate the annomaly when putting gas in the first time.  Other then that.  I am happy to have a new tank that doesnt leak.

Service warning
When the low fuel light comes on, it means get gas immediatly.  The tank doesnt have much of a reserve to really drive far.  Lucky if you get 3 miles.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2015, 07:19:54 PM »
Sounds like a vent is clogged up some where.  Or the pump you filled up at was bad...
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
I had a theory of what the issue was.  When we disconnected the upper rubber from the pass through for the frame rail tube, there was an inner sleeve we removed. My theory was that it did not seat around the fill spout.  That theory was parially correct.  There is actually two inner sleeves.  They connect on either end of the upper fill hose.  The lower inner sleeve must seat around the upper inner sleeve. 

I had to dissasemble the upper hose and reset the inner sleeves properly.  Then re assemble.  It took an entire evening to complete, but now i can once again fill the tank properly. 
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »
This nice weather has had me outside wrenching on a car and enjoying it.  Todays task was to install my power steering ccooling line.  The previous one had rusted through and developed a couple of holes.  I havent used it for so loong, its nice to have that feature back.  May be my toy car, but it do want to enjoy it and keep it.  Now i had long ago eliminated the ac and i have no plans of reinstalling ac into the car.

I took her to woodward cruising with murz, unfortunatly i had my running lights blow a fuse twice on me.  No need to see if i can find the cuase.....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:03:32 PM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2015, 08:08:41 PM »
After messing with some of the light wires, i found one of the side marker lights had some broken sheathing.  I taped it up.  Hopefully that was the issue.  I couldnt get the car to repeat the issue in the driveway.   
"Long Live Rotary"