Author Topic: FC Rallycross/Stage Rally/Ice Racer  (Read 11059 times)

Offline fidelity101

FC Rallycross/Stage Rally/Ice Racer
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:03:24 AM »
I\'ve had this car for a long time so here it goes.

Sold my 240sx for more money than I bought it for (thank god for the fast and furious movies) and bought an rx7 along with some toys for it.
only have a few of the two together

I am the 3rd owner, the 1st owner drove it and the rear rotor went out on it and it sat in their backyard in South Carolina until that person sold it to the guy I bought it from in boystown area Chicago.

I bought it in the spring of 2006.

it didn\'t start out to be a rally car but its making its way that way now as the years move on, its had a crazy life and lots of changes. Gotta love this chassis.

it started out as this to me:

it had knock off crappy beat up \"racing\" seats and with a smokers grey interior but working ac, ran kinda crappy but had this motor rebuilt on it with about 55k miles, and yes that is some home made vent he cut in the hood.

The guy I got the car from didn\'t know sh*t about mechanics but he managed to put an aktins rebuild but the car hesitated (bad grounds)

ran fine for a while and did some work to it:
PIAA yellow fogs
Atkins streetport
3mm apex seals
Tokicko blue shocks
tanabe GF210 springs
Ported and polished throttle body
momo wood/aluminum steering wheel
battery relocated
Centerforce clutch
Racing beat aluminum flywheel
12a tranny mod (shorter 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears)
Manual steering rack
Air conditioning removal
Air pump removal
ACV removal
Racing beat header/presilencer/cat-back
S4 clutch type LSD 4.10 ratio
Weight reduction (lol)
5th/6th port & sleeves removed
Dual alternator pulley mod
Battery relocation
Audi A6 dual electric fans
NGK plugs/wires
C-Wings GT3 fiberglass hood (functional scoop)
15x6 OZ lancer rally wheels (made by enkei FYI)
205/50/15 avon M500s in the rear
205/50/15 dunlop direzzas in front
wiperless hatch

then after several months later I decided to fix that hood with something lighter, was planning on a molded FC turbo scoop hood but I got this hood from the same guy because he didnt like the way it looked with his body kit.

and then this happened that winter

and that led to primer:

so that leads to Honda OEM Grand Prix White, aka s2000 pearlescent white :) only 900 dollars for everything, labor/parts because I had it done by a friend of mine at school who was going through the auto body program.

updated with S5 tails in the process, even had the moldings painted :D

and then the summer hit...

time to sharpen \\\"Snow White\\\" up

new interior, got rid of the gray and I\\\'ve always been a sucker for the red shag carpet interior in it so I swapped from gray/blue to red/wood

got the wheel from my friends dad who is a big euro car nut and its a real momo wheel that was attached to a momo hub that matched some benz models and the shift knob was made by another friend of  mine\\\'s uncle

and ran like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hN5XoCaW34[/youtube]
The car runs great and kicks ass till next fall around late October and blew up the atkins rebuild, broke the rear exhaust diffuser apart and it was rattling around in the port along with cracked housings around the sparkplugs.

I part out the motor to fund me buying a running S5 NA motor along with some other misc rx7 parts

my closet turned into an engine \\\'build\\\' room, painted some stuff before dropping it in

and if your eye is good enough you can catch the solid mounts dangling on the passenger side... but there are also made solid trans mounts which was free because I had yet another friend who machined them for me for a 6 pack of beer :)

engine bay gets painted to match the rest of the car, very few blue is left...
ceramic coated the header before dropping it in, keep the heat in where you want it.

Offline fidelity101

Re: FC Rallycross/Stage Rally/Ice Racer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:05:33 AM »
updates!

know what that is?

its porting templates!

so I got more practice lapping and began practice porting, fun mistakes happened and etc.

looks like this:

and the housings are now painted!

front cover is primed and I sanded off the 13b mazda on the housings, looks cool.

thats the engine build table, so thats what the engine will look like, black and blue sandwich plates

soft seals for rebuild from rotary aviation (more aircraft grade RE stuff)

and the good/reusable hard seals/springs, rotary aviation apex seals

there is an excess of seals and springs and within spec from tearing down sooo many motors.

I should probably just build a 2nd motor....

updates!

ported the exhaust housings and put in turbo exhaust inserts, nice and flow friendly :)

ported vs stock port with the inserts out

cleaned up, inserts in

much better than this:

they put those in the NA ones for noise suppression, more like exhaust restriction...

megasquirt is on the way as well as some rebuild gaskets.

spring break 2010~!

fully assembled in the kitchen/living room (small place)

and yes my roommates and I like to party...

Megasquirt2 vb3 w/ goodies for ignition and fuel? hrmmmm okay lets give it a shot

but the engine is in the car mounted up fluid filled and etc.

but the body harness is shot which makes things impossible at times...

so with coincidentally I needed a new gauge cluster I decided to finish the wood theme...

Fuel level, h20 temp, oil pressure, tach, wideband. (KISS - keep it stoopid simple)

sicc, right? I thought so :P GO WOOD OR GO HOME LOL!

long story short I have a history of bad luck with electronics so I decided to go this route instead. (and STILL with a bad body harness)

Mikuni 44 PHH racing carb

current engine bay:

current driving condition of rally vehicle.

2 KC 100W spotters and 2 KC 100W fogs, turns night into day and makes it seem that God is coming down your street.

next step/pre ice racing season work:

turbo drivetrain and brake swap from this donor car:
BEFORE-ish

AFTER

powder coating rear suspension, powdercoating front LCAs, powdercoating rear wheel uprights, reinforce diff, poly suspension/diff bushings.

started on it already but I have ALOT more work to do including replace bearings/bushings:

mount studded snow tires on factory turbo wheels
(pics soon to come)

but most importantly REWIRE CHASSIS! clean up the gawdy engine bay wiring as well as remove the useless wires that are in the car doing nothing.

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 08:06:56 AM »
some teaser work:

yes that is part of another engine. details of which are still fuzzy but expect a new engine after a cage gets in there with over 230whp N/A but there are a lot of ideas still in the works.

YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UePtoxDhJSw[/youtube]
well not black and yellow but more like green and blue!

Getting the car ready for ice racing! although the season already started I got this done to it.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

things you may not notice....
poly bushings in the blue swing arms
mazdaspeed front diff mount

more things you may not notice....
KYB AGX adjustable struts (all 4 corners)
mazdatrix adjustable endlinks (all 4 corners)
stainless brake lines (all 4 corners)
rear toe steer eliminator delrin bushings
new wheel bearings

things you may notice
no more 4 lug!
turbo2 drivetrain!!!! (beefy)

ebay/china special on brake rotors/pads:

it sounds more like a snowmobile with the studded tires on the road...

sh*t just got reeeeel

Picked up new gravel tires and wheels (pics to come later)

rhino lined the interior

Just finished re doing the engine bay, stripped and gutted. Just finishing the rewiring this week.
perma sleepy eye setup to come next week, no more bulky motors and pop up system.

Folded aluminum dash and AL door panels in the near future, before the end of August.

until then, I am bored at work:

more updates next week on the rewire and dashzillia.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »
Man that is alot of work you have been puting in.  great job and keep us updated.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 06:35:23 PM »
Wow, its looking awesome!  you've put a lot of work into her!

The colors of the rear suspension pieces remind me of a project I did in college to model the motions of the rear suspension, and the CAD model was all different colors like that.

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 05:19:29 AM »
Man that is alot of work you have been puting in.  great job and keep us updated.

It didn't start out this way, then I look back and have realized I've owned the car for nearly 7 years

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
UPDATES!
July rallycross ended on the 21st, this August's was on the 20th, got the entire rewire and re interior and underhood (except lighting) done in a months time :)

rewired done! (pre-passenger seat)

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 06:07:01 AM »

:D

TIRES!, 25 of them! (organized group buy)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »
nice tires.  i am going to have to get me a new set of rear tires all too soon for the wife's vert, along with new shocks
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 03:49:03 AM »
Nice, you got a ton of spares there! Are they all for dirt, or are there some for other surfaces in there as well?

My buddy was out at the aug rallycross in a white Nissan 4-dr Frontier, he said it was a great time.

Do you work at TRF, or know some guys there?  They certainly seem to do very good work

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »
actually I sold 5 of those sets. Organized a group buy for 25 lightly used gravel tires and for doing all the legwork, I made 40 bucks after breaking even AND 1 mint set of gravel tires.

I have the following sets of tire/surface/wheel

street summers/vert BBS 15"
studded winters/S4 t2 wheels 16"
gravel tires/GTU s5 wheels 15"
w/e the fuck tires for drifting/shennanigans - GXL S4 swasitkas (haven't picked them up, at a buddies place)

I have a tire/wheel combo for every surface :)

I also have Tien springs on vert struts for when I want it for on road looking good mode, but it still sits too high so I may cut them and just throw them on to get lowwwww, or go to drift events.

I saw your frontier friend there and he looked like he was having a blast, you gotta come next time. you can drive my car if you pay my entry fee! I'll take care of the gas and oil.

I met owner at the rallyX and never heard of it until then, he did the dash and I like supporting local friends/business IE the TIM stickers on the car is my friend Paul with Team Illuminata Motorsports.

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 06:54:11 AM »
UPDATES!

okay not really, here are some new shots and here is the to do list to get ready for winter:
(in no particular order)

1. remove sunroof structure/affix sunroof
2. wrap header (have had wrap for quite some time now)
3. fabricate additional skidplate
4. minor gas leak
5. replace heater core

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 08:00:37 AM »
I haven’t updated this in a while but there haven’t been too many changes, but basically I have just been going through some things. I decided to clean up my electrical fuse panel:
Before:

and after

Did some more of this:

Then I went racing, did a 2 day event in Ohio for rallycross. Took 3rd overall in my class for the weekend, would have taken 2nd but I blew one run really bad and almost got stuck. Still had a good time, the 2nd place trophy is not as nice because it doesn’t open beer bottles:

Also from that event it was very dusty and I realized that my air filter had basically failed and I had to create a ghetto filter for the rest of the event.

So after that I do some more racing, go to Muskegon for furrin group’s 1st rallyX. My first run I blew the clutch. 3rd to 1st shifts make clutch angry. It was stuck engaged:

got a little muddy at another event:

Decided to further enhance my air filter situation by longer horns and new filters

then I race some more and loose a nut on one of my suspension bits causing the toe to change in corners and the axle separated:

fixed it and drove home but DNF for that day after the 1st heat.

I have always hated my cooling system, mostly just tired of going through stock radiators. So I call my friends at griffin 

and some help from TRF again on mounting (I cannot weld, especially aluminum)

I never have cooling issues now, except when I went to this magical place called snowdrift!!!!!!

REAL wheel drive 

I required lots of cardboard to keep it from over cooling with the radiator and hood setup.

So here is the current fleet (not in current weather conditions)

except the front bumper is slowly becoming sticker bomb, with actual stickers

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 04:37:13 AM »
Nice, are you going to be ice racing this weekend? I am super excited to make my MIRA debut.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 07:41:35 AM »
So I have not updated this in a while:

You know when your a tire whore when...

You know you are rotarded when...

I've have had these for the longest time but never got around to installing them. I powdercoated them (and the brackets) myself when I had the get up and then had mazdaspeed competition bushings installed.

mmmmmmmm tires...

Normally I reserved these wheels for road tires only but they look too damn cool to be not utilized essentially...

Also not pictured are new 205/55/16 WS60 Blizzaks for ice racing season. (potentially) I should be saving for a house but wheel-to-wheel ice racing during every sat/sun of Feb sounds more excellent...

Completely re-wired and re mounted these:

nice GM sealed weather pack connectors, no more shady trailer plug connector.

oh... herro there...

Just on the backs right now, fronts need attention too.

Did pretty good at the day/night rallycross. took 3rd out of 11, only had 1 clean run all day but it was good for RWD FTD!

lots of blue smoke, burned a lot of oil, hard to start in 20 degree weather etc. Only had some minor drama. Fan control relay failed and the engine overheated, coolant pouring out of the overflow and somehow at this same time the oil pressure sending unit failed but we had plenty of oil pressure.

We ran 3 drivers that day, (my 2 roommates and I)

next up:

front shocks
overhaul engine
rear wheel bearings
misc rear suspension link replacement
overhaul diff (maybe)