Author Topic: 1991 Dark Blue Convertible  (Read 2556 times)

Offline toplessFC3Sman

Re: 1991 Dark Blue Convertible
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 12:58:45 PM »
Yea, it was interesting, especially since my gf at the time was in the car too. To get started, I needed to have the car in first gear, and then use the starter to drag the car along until the engine fired since pressing the clutch did nothing, and you could only engage or change gears when all the shafts were stopped or all the shafts were at similar speeds. Most of the time on the highway it wasn't too bad, since the 2nd and 5th gear synchros were toast anyway, so rev-matching was nothing new. Tolls were difficult though, I was praying the starter motor wouldn't quit or I wouldn't get stopped on an uphill incline.

Since things seized up and weren't dragging or sliding, I think the damage was pretty minimal. I changed the whole trans at that point to get better synchros too, and had no probs installing a new pilot bearing so I think the e-shaft was fine (the pilot bearing shell didn't appear to have spun within the e-shaft). If its just noisy, you should be OK still, maybe a little light scoring on the input shaft.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:04:44 PM by toplessFC3Sman »

Offline murz

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 04:41:46 AM »
After nearly 5 years of ownership, this car found a new owner yesterday. After getting the FD, my attention drifted away from this car, then getting the FC up and coming again, I really didn't see myself driving it anytime soon, even though nothing beats a convertible. I had planned to fix all the things that needed attention once the silver FC was finished, but before I could do that, I had found a buyer, someone that a lot of you have met before too (FCwidman's friend Nolan). I'm fully confident he will take care of the car, and down the road do some modifications that will enhance the car. This car has been a blast, and i'm glad it's getting the attention it needs.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 05:45:43 AM »
Ill force him to make an account on here and to make a new thread of all the restoration and mods we have planned. I drove it around yesterday, I think I need to buy a vert now lol

Offline murz

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »
It's a fun car, easy to drive, and having the top down really changes things. I think with some better suspension it would really enhance all of that.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1