Author Topic: FC Rallycross/Stage Rally/Ice Racer  (Read 623 times)

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Re: FC Rallycross/Stage Rally/Ice Racer
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2017, 07:39:30 AM »
That's pretty impressive for what it is. The torque curve is pretty flat too.  I think it would be very interesting to see it run the quarter mile. Shouldn't have too much trouble running consistently.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2017, 12:26:18 PM »
I think its just barely quick enough for bracket racing so maybe I could earn some cash because being consistent in that vehicle is pretty easy.

Online toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2017, 09:56:15 PM »
Wow, so that wild-ass-guess base tune from the bottom half of my turbo map got you that far? I'm glad you were able to squeeze a bit more out of it, those are healthy numbers! What did you do to bump up the output - spark advance, more fuel at WOT?

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »
Well there is room for more I feel, wanna do a tune session together on the dyno sometime?

because mostly I don't understand the ignition side of tuning the rotary and during a practice rally stage i smashed the resonator and during sno*drift i busted it partially too so my exhaust has been somewhat clogged. I have replaced it with a straight pipe and now its loud as hell and could use a retune.

Went to the test and tune for NASA rallysport a few weeks ago and I had a test stage with unlimited laps! did forward and reverse direction split between morning and afternoon runs. The 2.5 minute stage was brief but fun! sand/dirt/rock/field mix so it was pretty good to see how it did on the various surfaces.

also with NASA you do helmet cam :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The car did great the tune did great, we ended up richening the top end a bit but and I was able to pull all the way to 8500 in 3rd gear through the sand, however it still wasn't running totally right and when I got home I found out why that was. I had dented my spiral flow resonator pretty bad.

A few more tweaks and it should be ready, Going to try a stiffer rear spring because its just too soft and squats and under the woops it tends to bottom out and do a tank slaper. Rear skidplate may see an improvement but maybe not until LSPR. Next true event August 5th for summer sno*drift.

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »

Summer sno*drift is over and it was a complete & utter failure. Some minor tweaks to get through tech (no big deal) and then we were ready but the 1st stage was boulder city - just stones and loose sand everywhere the car shut down about 5 corners in, something with the fuel pump relay - jumped it and kept on going.

about a mile later the exhaust fell off at the v-band due to rocks or something, the car is too low when a full tank of gas and added spare + tools etc with too low of a vehicle to begin with. I will have to upload some video of it - if it was recording... because an open header rotary is loudest thing on the planet, it physical hurt it was so loud but POR! I literally could not hear the co-driver over the volume of it.

Shortly after that the engine died again and sweep had passed us so we we handed in our time card and we were done for the today. Verified spark/air/fuel and determined it must have been an ECU issue. Luckily the exhaust was dragging behind us hanging on 1 rear hanger. Tossed the exhaust section in the back of heavy sweep and the towed us about a mile to a recoverable area as the the stage was about to be re run shortly.

Found the issue by wiggling the connector and the car fired right up, better than push it up the trailer:

so we bust ass in service and get a new v-band on the exhaust, weld the 3 pieces together so they don't pop off and help seal some of the exhaust leak as well and fix the connector so that its properly installed. good to go after service and get to start last but we get to start. 1st stage out we get held up by an accident (spun blocking the road) then we basically transited behind 3 other cars to the end.

After that head to stage 6 and it was a blast! saw coolant temps as high as 220F but I didn't care it was running great and we were having fun. Tulips were virtually useless I don't think my co-driver said anything productive on stage all day. Then we got lost heading to stage 7 because we turned on hardwood hills not hardwood road and then got stuck in the sand, giving us a DNF for the day.

We had issued with tulips on prior transits and caused me to doubt my co-driver. I thought this was the wrong road and we saw some familiar tracks so others made the same mistake but didn't go as far as us, so I went in reverse and kept going the whole way back (1/4 mile or less) then decided to listen to my co-driver once more and went to turn around at a spot but when I lost momentum we were done and just sank.

We missed stage 7 & 8 and didn't even go to parc ferme and did not participate in awards, beaten and ashamed we headed back to camp

but well that's racing... next steps for LSPR? probably not competing - I need to raise this car in the air to gain ground clearance and the proper tow truck needs the engine replaced/rebuilt. it was awful being crammed into an extended cab f150. Probably just going to spectate this year.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »
that makes for some rough racing.  Hopefully you can get the little bugs sorted out and have better luck for the next race.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
Time to make an RX7 lift kit!
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
yup, thats the next step. I think I can get .5 to 1" out of putting spacers on the subframe to lower the car and then get some proper rally shock setup I can increase a few more inches. then we can jump the car!