Author Topic: FC Rallycross/Stage Rally/Ice Racer  (Read 11036 times)

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Re: FC Rallycross/Stage Rally/Ice Racer
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2018, 02:47:49 PM »
Did you get a new Suburban too?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »
I was thinking more about keeping good suspension geometry and avoiding bump-steer or suspension bind once you find a longer strut, both would need to go together

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2018, 02:59:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did you get a new Suburban too?

yeah, sold the 85 because i was tired of working on the truck and wanted some luxury features like cruise control, AC, and overdrive - that and I didn't want to work on an old turd anymore but i spent all last year working on it because the 6.0 in the HD burb went out. So i spent a bit longer and swapped an 8.1 into it. I'll have to bring it by next time you guys work on the NA motor, except right I fix a bullshit fuel leak at the rail.

Pete I'm down to have you help tune it sometime, dyno time is pretty reasonable at my buddys shop in commerce or take it somewhere else if need be. I have been meaning to get the pineapple racing dual EGT gauge, looks pretty snazzy but I have not pulled the trigger on it yet.

My next step when I grab the car is to put an LED inline with the fuel injectors and see if I'm loosing power to them when it misfires because if they don't flicker its my fuel injector driver again is what I'm thinking.

Or I have a loose fuse

:o :o :o

no idea.

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2019, 06:47:13 AM »
Rally-America does this for the overall stage winners: was happy to see this!

Some updates I “made” to frankenburban but in reality: it was just being better organized. I wanted to improve the service tool situation as the first sno*drift was a cluster F and it turned out work great during LSPR .

We even managed to do Recce (both times) with the toolbox in the trunk, its more organized than my boxes at home! But it rattles around too much when empty and basically takes up the whole back of the truck which can be inconvenient…

Some more truck updates to come before Southern Ohio Forrest Rally (SOFR – May 18th) like onboard air and general suspension maintenance that has been postponed
I know it was a few months in between the two events and I mostly didn't waste the free time (mostly) as I did make up a pretty good “TO DO” list:

So I definitely had my work cut out of for me…
I had noticed some play in my steering hub adapter, even so lightly as if it seemed to have play in the splines as you rotate it you could feel it but its hard to tell when you’re bouncing around a stage road at speed so I made it a point to replace this. Imagine my surprise when I saw this!

Replaced it with an NRG hub adapter (billet) and after watching the Ken Block video where the cozzie burns to the ground abruptly out on stage after a brief roll I went with a works bell quick release hub, AWESOME product.
So meanwhile I know I have to do the shocks and one of the tie rod ends was starting to wear so I decided to freshen up the steering system as it will need an alignment anyways and now I have spare tire rod ends if I need to finish a rally – spares are good but hopefully never needed…

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2019, 06:47:54 AM »
But that’s not all for the suspension – I saved the best for last. Bilstein 46mm universal motorsport shocks – custom adapted for the rx7 FC and rally application, the top hats are a custom design from TRF who I had assemble and install these pieces, these things are serviceable with an off the shelf bearing and simple to replace. This allowed me an extra 1.5” of travel and ride height (from stock) so now I won’t be lowered in the front and raised in the rear, the car should handle much better and boy it sure did – noticeable improvements as the next day I took 2nd in rallycross (with 2 spins) and only lost 1st place by 1 cone.

The strut tower tops were already a bit beefy and they got even beefier.
I got tired of throwing cones in the front wheel bearings and if anyone here knows how much of a pain these things are a new hub is about 500 dollars but a new bearing is about 20. Don’t follow mazdatrix’s design of grind at 2 opposite ends and that gives you the space to press out the old races, just get a welder and start making a bead all the way around, then you will hit it with a mallet and it will just fall out due to the thermal expansion, it may take a few wacks but it works, you can get it most of the way and use a punch to get the race out the rest then it is just install races as you would normally would with a press.

With the suspension done it was time to move onto the fuel system.
I had about a 1 psi fuel leak at the sending unit assembly area. The threaded holes are blind and an M3 or M4 fine thread with a very short size overall so very small hardware but if you decide to use a longer bolt (which is easier to install) YOU WILL PUNCTURE THESE BLIND HOLES AND MAKE THEM THROUGH HOLES! Which means that the gasket no longer serves its purpose as it was designed to do. SO I went all out on this repair and was hoping to do it before LSPR but I was able to mend it enough where it was only a weep instead of a leak. Still not ideal though
So I went with the Stu Kelly Motorsports billet aluminum sending unit for AN fittings, also allowing provisions for fuel level sender w/ electrical hookup. Assuming that my existing sending unit was bent or warped.

And a new gas tank! (which you can still order from Mazda) as for me to repair the threads on the old gas tank was not working with epoxy/JB weld, it would need to be braised and repaired accordingly. Not something I wanted to attempt but I’m sure there are places nearby me in Metro Detroit. You do have to swap over those foam pads ontop of the tank as they are needed to position the tank correctly, this sending unit is a bit tall so I had to put more of the foam on one side so it would tilt downward slightly so the fittings would clear the floor, otherwise they were too tall and it was impossible to install the AN hoses. FYI for anyone using this sending unit.

I already had AN bulkheads to getting hoses to make the tank to bulkhead connection was easy. Since I was doing all this work and I wanted to do it once, I replaced the fuel pump with the Mazda motorsports fuel pump (stock 20B pump apparently) Now I have a very robust fuel system and out lots of money but at least it is safe and unlikely to burn down now…
Here is good comparison of it next to the walbro

So with fuel upgraded and an alignment done, wheel bearings replaced in the front the key parts were completed in preparation for SD2019.
Found out I can’t grease my u-joints with the driveshaft installed in the car so I skipped that step and just changed the rear diff fluid because the vent is relocated in the car so I hit water puddles without worrying about water contamination – problem with this is that when you cook the fluid the cab stinks like hot diff fluid which isn’t so great smelling. Never got around to dropping the trans or doing any clutch stuff, everything was working so I didn’t mess with anything, plus if I drop the exhaust I would probably just replace it, it is getting to be in poor shape and I had to patch a few welds to prevent the leaks.
After that it was just remove all of the old Rally-America stickers (that I bought for LSPR… and paid a premium for…) only to install the American Rally Association stickers another big change is going from G2 (2wd limited) to G5 (2d open) because of the rule differences – body work may be modified but must be original material/construction/resemble OEM.

Well my lights are different, the hood is fiberglass, the roof is aluminum and the hatch is plastic.
Also G2/L2WD state no porting can be done but the rule is intended to keep cars under 210-225whp so with the streetport and bodywork and with some recent stage times being overall competitive it was time to go to open class. Now I can loose about 300lbs off the car and still be in the class which will be like adding 30hp in an already quick car for ~190whp.
So Sno*Drift prep is done well what about Sno*drift itself?

1st in class regionally! (out of 3) but the other car got stuck for a long time on day 1 as well and the 3rd car DNF’d due to some car issue on Friday. Big change is that the regionally rally is 2 days long instead of two 1 day rallies.
But here is the re-cap:
Day 1 was WITHOUT HEAT!! (due to my own fault for having the heater core plunger in the wrong direction inhibiting the flow of coolant) and temps were as low as -20F. so stage 2 I stuffed it right out of the hole for no reason other than being a jerk, was able to get pulled out minutes later but ended up holding several cars up, only to crash about a mile later (going about 8mph) due to fogged up windshield with our heavy breathing from trying to be unstuck. Got tugged once more and meanwhile struggling to see and concentrate in the cold I biffed a 90* right hand corner that was deceptive #930 in the honda CRZ K series swap pulled us out with extreme enthusiasm (A+ for effort & force) and a few tugs later we were out! The rest of the day was uneventful and we managed to keep it on the road for the tight and rough stages of day 1.

Day 2. was more promising back up to middle pack out on road (and with heat/defrost!, easy fix Friday night, 5 zipties and beer) and I really enjoyed the fast wide roads but managed to make a stupid mistake on a 90* left hander, went wide and beached it about a half mile from the finish at that point, got tugged out again and carried on but this time we did not hold up anyone. Had really enjoyed the 16 mile stage, took 9th overall on the first running of that stage and was 2nd in 2wd behind #845 in the civic (which is a feat in itself as that guy is a local and the honda makes about 250whp) only to find myself passing by camp 8 on the same spot where we visit the folks of Griffin Thermal Products every year for the past 12 years to get stuck on the icy downhill section (I literally have seen dozens of cars get stuck here over the many years, it was no surprise just hot doggin' it like a jerk) Lake Effect Rally Team pulled us out quickly and then had to get the car fired up quickly (fuel pump relay got disconnected on accident by myself) and we continued on the remainder of the stages without incident and placed 10th overall on bonfire alley which was a riot!

Car came out unharmed and we had a great time! So here are the action shots!

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2020, 09:19:33 AM »
The exhaust is so battered and beaten its time for a fresh start and more appropriate bends/diameter:

modular exhaust manifold anyone? This is in Inconel 625 but I can do 316L SS as well.

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2020, 12:28:49 PM »
So you 3D printed the flanges for a custom exhaust out of Inconel? Pretty awesome! Does your work have a machine?

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2020, 07:22:48 AM »
yup! we have 4 stateside about 8 others in germany, we don't do inconel here in the states. these are to be shipped over soon though. the outlet of the flange mats perfectly for schedule40 piping so the new exhaust manifold is going to be made shortly

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2020, 10:04:58 AM »
Wow, that's pretty awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2020, 02:53:42 PM »
things are happening!

So right now the first 12" are sch40 piping so its a true 2" ID, the inconel outlet flanges taper gradually to this size for a perfect flush fit. the rest of the tubing will be done with 1.875" 16 gauge, my overall runner length is now 1 foot shorter but I have also now made it equal runners. 

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2020, 05:54:04 AM »
That is looking great.  Can't wait to see it finished
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2020, 12:58:30 PM »
its getting there!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2020, 06:40:06 AM »
Wow, looking great! Those flanges are pretty awesome, lots of surface area to shed heat. You may need to do some heat shielding for the intake and vac lines etc above them

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2020, 07:07:54 AM »
we are going to have to test that theory, thermal conductivity of a mild steel is almost 27 BTU/ft-hr-f where as stainless steels around 10 and inconel625 is about 6.

luckily there are no vac lines over there, I just have MAP/brake booster/FPR and they are well out of the way.

The exhaust will also get ceramic coated once done so that will help too.