Generation Specific > 2nd Generation Specific

110 Amp alternator - will it cause problems?

(1/2) > >>

ragtoprex:
Thinking of swapping out my 1988 stock alternator on my vert for a rebuilt one (RX7) that can put out 110 amps - will it cause any problems or mess anything up with the cpu / engine management computer or wiring?

d.yerke@hotmail.com

toplessFC3Sman:
A 110 Amp alternator should be fine, as long as you wire it properly.  Alternators are a bit more complicated than the single-wire affairs that they used to be in the 70's.  You really need to get a wiring diagram from the donor car to trace where each is connected to; generally they have a "sensing" 12V that needs to be connected to a switched power and a constant 12V from the battery, in addition to the thick, charging terminal.  There's a bit of info on RX7club.com in the 2nd gen section for wiring a 130A alternator from an FD into both the S4 & S5 FC's.   I've done this, and it's been going strong for 5-6 years now.

ragtoprex:
Thanks for the info...this is supposed to be a rebuilt rx7 alternator - upgraded to 110 amps.  They didn't mention different wiring - but said it was specifically for a 1988 rx7.

toplessFC3Sman:
In that case, you shouldn't have a problem with it.  If its just a re-would S4 alternator, it'll be plug & play, with a bit more capacity.  The charging wire is thick enough that any additional current draw won't be a problem.

ragtoprex:
Thanks thats what I was hoping...............

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version