Author Topic: Mazda has break through in Rotary design!!  (Read 1395 times)

Offline bruceman

Mazda has break through in Rotary design!!
« on: March 01, 2012, 06:31:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Despite plans to stop production of the RX-8 sports coupe in June and no commitment from management to replace it with another Wankel-powered car, Mazda may be on the verge of a major rotary breakthrough.

Mitsuo Hitomi, general manager-powertrain development, says the auto maker soon will complete development of an all-new rotary engine that meets future fuel-economy and emissions standards.

While Hitomi won’t confirm a completion date, his disclosure is evidence the rotary is alive and well at Mazda and that a new car powered by the engine could be on the way.

“We think we’ve found a way to improve the rotary’s fuel economy to be truly equal to that of conventional piston engines and, if so, we believe we can reintroduce the rotary to the market,” he tells WardsAuto in an interview.

Hitomi declines to pinpoint when that might happen, but suggests the timeframe roughly would be equivalent to any other engine plugged into one of Mazda’s vehicle programs. Best guess is two years, once the application has been determined.

Fuel economy and emissions were improved in the developmental engine “first, by changing the shape of the troichoid housing,” the Mazda executive says.

“The rotary has many seals, and ‘sealability,’ particularly at the apex, or tip, of the rotor has been a longstanding problem” dating back to the mid-1960s and the Cosmo Sport, Mazda’s first rotary car.

“Even with our current 1.3L Renesisrotary, gaps can develop between the apex seal and troichoid housing in light-load operation when imbalances in centrifugal force and gas pressure occur,” he says.

Specifically, centrifugal force pushes the seal onto the housing surface. In low engine-rpm ranges, or under low-load conditions, gas pressure in the combustion chamber can cause the seal to lift off the surface, resulting in combustion gas leaking into the next chamber.

By changing the shape of the troichoid housing, the seals remain flush to the housing, Hitomi says. “In addition to reducing emissions, better sealing improves fuel economy and overall performance.”

A second engineering enhancement focuses on ignition.

“I can’t specify how we plan to address this problem,” the Mazda engineer says, “but the rotary’s spark plug is in a recessed position (below the housing surface), compared to that of a piston engine.

“This causes ignitability problems and increases fuel consumption. We’ve found a way to make dramatic improvements,” he says.

In June, AutoCar reported Mazda would introduce a laser-injection system to replace conventional spark plugs.

Hitomi counters popular perception that a rotary engine’s fuel economy is inherently poor.

“In the past, Mazda engineers made a conscious decision to focus on the rotary’s weaker points – low torque, for instance,” he says. “This led to adopting a complicated and large variable-intake system, as an example.

“Moving forward, we plan to put greater emphasis on the rotary’s strong points – low vibration, compact size and high power output. And in this way, we can improve fuel economy.”

One result of that: Mazda will simplify the intake system, which in turn will reduce engine size.

Hitomi believes the new engine eventually will be adopted for extended-range electric vehicles like the Chevrolet Volt. He doesn’t say so, but that could mean a future RX-8, RX-9 or even an RX-7 EREV.

Offline fidelity101

Re: Mazda has break through in Rotary design!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »
its a lie!!!!

Its going to be a renesis engine :)

from my interpretations/observations:
1. Side port renesis
2. Direct injection
3. this is the 16x
4. change in triochoid shape = longer stroke which = more torque and easier driveability!
5. laser ignition! (they have been in cahoots with audi on this one)
6. by the time this comes out I can maybe afford it...

side note:

Specifically, centrifugal force pushes the seal onto the housing surface. In low engine-rpm ranges, or under low-load conditions, gas pressure in the combustion chamber can cause the seal to lift off the surface, resulting in combustion gas leaking into the next chamber.

yeah this reminds me that I need to buy NEW apex seal springs the next time I do a rebuild, my oil is quite fuelly...

granted the rebuild cost me maybe 150 dollars when I did it.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:17:25 AM by fidelity101 »

Offline Dsrx7

Re: Mazda has break through in Rotary design!!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:33:29 AM »
When the seal lifts it chatters violently. This was the #1 issue they ran into in Hiroshima when developing the first. Once they figured out the alloy and spring density it seemed to clear up. Until pushed with more compression, boost, rpm and wear of the internals. Thus the reason in the change of the HOUSING shape as well larger rotors. This is the first time in history the housing shape has been changed successfully. Very cool. This info comes from a friend of mine that runs the mazdaspeed department in Irvine.