Author Topic: operation project 'burban' tow vehicle  (Read 1704 times)

Offline fidelity101

operation project 'burban' tow vehicle
« on: June 12, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
OPERATION PROJECT BURBAN!

Lame name for a fun truck I know but it describes it pretty well.

I acquired this mess of a truck recently and I have begun getting it road worthy as a tow vehicle and random off-road adventure bus.

This truck had spent 90% of its life in Texas until my girlfriend’s family bought it. This is a 1985 ¾ ton suburban that originally came with the 6.2 diesel but it pooped out on it and her folks had another suburban either 87 or 89 350 gasser EFI that had a manual transmission/t-case but the body and suspension was bad.

So the 2 trucks became one, motor/trans set went into the ¾ ton with a good body.

Here are some of the before shots:

14 bolt rear end, needed a battery, tilt steering replaced, wiper motor wires are corroded (work poorly, cleaned up best I could) lots of little minor things.

Offline fidelity101

Re: operation project 'burban' tow vehicle
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
the chassis is clean as all hell, I debadged it and filled the holes and began preppin for paint, and then painted it!

I used muriatic acid on the hood and roof to get the rust off, brushed it on then let it sit for 20 minutes then power wash and brush it off.

that bare metal is after 10 seconds of sanding, at the most...

works great but it is caustic as allllll hell, try not to breathe it, I used rubber gloves and a mask, You should do the same.

here is some general prep shots:

and here is it in paint!

now I just have to finish cleaning up the interior, I have swapped in another steering column, no more scary tilt issue while driving.

GF helping out :)

and viola!

Yes it is bedliner and no it will never rust again.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »
Bitchen burban, Its in really great shape rust wise! 
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:13:38 PM »
yeah thats why i purchased it, i really wanted a wagoneer but the price and condition of them did not compare to how much truck this is for how much i paid for it.

next mods:
a/c
windshield
cruise control maybe???

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 05:31:40 AM »
That is looking sharp.  Keep up the good work on it.  Looks like it will be a fun truck when your all done with it.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »
I'm taking it up to frankfort this weekend for a beach party and do a little off-roading. we shall see how it handles it, great way to test it out but it should hold together.