Author Topic: discussion: playing with the idea - radical port  (Read 990 times)

Offline fidelity101

discussion: playing with the idea - radical port
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:35:25 AM »
SO I keep tossing around build ideas for the next motor, I have a few solid pieces to start but I cannot think of what port style

street port
peri port
half bridge
semi PP
some strange mix??

Now I'm thinking of what I got to make something interesting. Ideally I'd like to have a 9000rpm limit, Not looking to do balancing because it would be extra expensive. I do not mind however upgrading the oiling system to help achieve this.

I still plan on running a carb 50mm weber side draft DCO style.

I've been thinking of doing this
do not use center iron ports
bridge/sp the secondarys
small PP the housings.

thoughts, comments concerns?

Offline toplessFC3Sman

Re: discussion: playing with the idea - radical port
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »
Disclaimer: I have no experience porting a rotary engine - I do have a bit of experience modeling volumetric efficiency with cam timing on a piston engine and have a firm grasp of the physics involved

I've always thought it'd be a good idea to just slightly port the primary ports, mainly for a little bit of flow so you only lose a little bit of low end & idle stability due to lower primary velocity, but to go a bit more wild, like a large street port or a bridge on the secondaries of a 6-port so that once they open up (and keeping the vacuum or solenoid actuators to only switch them at high RPM, maybe with one of the aftermarket Vtec controllers), the engine really wakes up has seemed very appealing.  That way you keep the idle & low-speed drivability for the most part (you lose a little compression ratio if you change the secondary closing timing), but get a lot more up top.  Also, playing with the shape of the exhaust opening could be cool to allow a slower opening & play with the exhaust sound.

Anyhow, go for it!  Experimentation is fun!

Offline fidelity101

Re: discussion: playing with the idea - radical port
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:55:30 AM »
I'm likely going to do half bridge w/ oil mods, new exh/int manifolds and a properly sized carb to call it a day.