Author Topic: What is your Winter Project?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
What is your Winter Project?
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »
The leaves have fallen and the end has neared where most people put up their cars for the winter snow.  Do you have any winter projects planned to accomplish on your car?  I know i have a few projects planned. 

Black Convertible - Swap new/used front struts onto it.
Red GXL - rebuild its original engine possibly install before spring.
Mazda 6s - Get it back on the road as my main winter vehicle.

I will probaly have more to do depending upon how fast i complete these efforts.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline fidelity101

Re: What is your Winter Project?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:58:43 PM »
I have to remember to start the rx7 a few times a week even when i don't drive it. She does not like to start after sitting for 3 weeks.

Also, I'm just about getting into my suburban overhaul, I nearly have the core support removed and I need to pull that engine out asap.

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »
Well shit just got real, some metal in the oil. 30 psi on cyl 2 and 13 on cyl 4. oil smokes a bit from passenger side exhaust.

So I picked up an incomplete serp belt swap with an complete longblock tbi w/ engine stand for 100 dollars. Real compression #s are still unknown at this time, but I was able to get about 60psi out of it by turning it over by hand, made much friendlier compression noises than the other one.

It looks to have come from a work truck or van, maybe add an oil cooler... otherwise I can plug the one end and the other would be great for a gauge.

I'm just getting ready to get the engine out but I'm not sure if I want to just pull the engine or pull the whole t-case/trans/engine combo, because aligning input shaft splines on the trans to the engine as well as getting at a few of the bolts looks like a nightmare...
I'm curious if my hoist can pull off the job.

I think regardless though I am going to need a few friends and some beer to come over and help.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
Just say when, and as long as my schedule is availible, I am willing to help.  Tonight and Tomorrow, i am booked.  Tonight i am working on the Mazda 6 (hopefully) assuming my parts arrive today as expected.  Your hoist is looking a little sad there.  I do have to say my engine i got is looking a lot cleaner then yours lol.  The important thing is that it works as it should.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »
I'm working on it tonite to the point where I'm ready to pull the engine, hopefully sunday because I will be back in Chicago for thanksgiving wed-sat.  I dunno if I will just pull the motor or the whole trans motor and t-case...

Unless there is some other tricks that I can do by lowering the trans a bit or something else.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:36:54 AM »
Did you really use the hoist to take the radiator support out? LOL

Anyway, I was just about to start this thread but it looks like it was already started a month ago.

I will be putting together my V8 91 and converting my civic to an ice racing machine (basically adding sweet lights and mud flaps and mounting a fire extinguisher).
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »
I hope we get to ice race this winter I'm not sure what I'm more worried about... the ice or my engine tiring out.

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »
Yea, I have to start the 7 every 2 weeks or so and let the battery charge back up - the alarm system seems to be sucking a bit of power, plus I think the batt is a little undersized.  Anyway, the winter project is to hopefully get this into a running state:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Adding fuel injection & spark timing to a 70's bike that I picked up with friends for cheap... cept they've all bailed on the project

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 09:12:07 PM »
Looks like you should have the bike running by spring! cool project.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 06:42:40 AM »
I got the long block in the truck last weekend (thank god) because the weather is just downhill from here. Now all I have to do is just bolt on the accessories and install headers and I should be good to go!

Hoping to be driving around end of Jan for sno*drift.

Offline HiFlite999

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 05:39:54 AM »
A few projects:
Sway bars
Endlinks
Fuel Flow totalizer
New differential mount bushings
MazdaSpeed springs
Have the Volks wheel re-anodized
Lebren rear fog light

Wonder if Winter will be long enough to get it all done?  :)

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
The bike project is finally moving along; a friend at work introduced me to i3Detroit, which is basically a Maker/hackerspace type machine shop that has mills, lathes & machine shop tools, woodworking stuff, electronics & prototyping stuff and a few welders.  Its a pretty awesome community, and I've been able to get a bit of the welding on the fuel system that's been holding me up done.

The 7's leaking, and the floor behind both seats is soaked... well, solid ice at the moment, but some seals definitely need to be replaced.  The battery is completely dead so I'll need to charge that too.