Author Topic: LS1 RX7 build  (Read 8936 times)

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Re: LS1 RX7 build
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 05:40:30 PM »
The mufflers are the 2.5 inch inlet which I believe are the NA version.  I think they will be perfect for my application. 

As far at the fan system goes the coolamt temp sensor is a gm part so I am confident there is no problem with that. And I have already checked too!  It is definitely the fan. With that said I think I have suffered from coincidental bad luck with these 2 fans. I have faith that a new oem fan is a quality unit with superior performance to aftermarket BS.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 05:34:05 AM »
I called Racing Beat and they found the flanges I need which still apparently aren't generally sold.  $22 a piece, Ouch! oh well, they should be very nice SS flanges.

I also solved the problem with my radiator fan motor (kinda), autozone lifetime warranty, BADUNAH!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2015, 05:59:46 AM »
there yea go.  that will be a nice thing to hopefully not have to worry about.  if it fails, just get another one.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2015, 06:15:27 AM »
So after digging into a concern of mine regarding my coolant system due to noticing some gunk in the coolant when the line popped off a month ago, I have realized my coolant system needs complete rerouting of the hoses.  I was under the impression that the LS1 was like every other car I worked on before and that water exited the engine at the thermostat.  This apparently it not true, so I currently have my coolant exiting the engine and pumping into the bottom of the radiator an leaving the top of the radiator to back into the engine.  After talking with some cooling system engineers it is clear that the gunk I saw was corrosion from air entrapment in the engine block. Yet another thing to get fix before the dreamcruise. I am also likely going to add a surge tank and emulate the corvette C6 cooling system, this will help to fill it too.

86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »
let me know if you need a hand, happy to swing by and see you too when you get in.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »
So I just got in tonight after 20 hours of total travel.  So I went straight to the garage.  I took my failed cooling fan apart and this is what I found. 

Soldered it back together and all is well.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline dandoe

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2015, 08:34:07 AM »
Nice build!! And i know the feeling of being hesitant  to molest such a clean chassis, you get over it quickly  :)

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2015, 05:22:00 AM »
I completed the cross member and installed it yesterday.  Now there is tons of room and a straight shot for the exhaust.

86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2015, 05:28:38 AM »
Also I talked with a couple exhaust shops that claimed to do custom stainless exhaust.  Unfortunately no one was willing to use stainless wire and could not mandrel bend, so I have decided to buy the bends and do it myself.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 06:59:46 AM »
The cross memember turned out well.  I can help you again with the exhuast.  just tell me when you need my hands.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
I got some goodies for my car this Christmas, so I thought I would update the progress I have made in the past couple days.

Driving the the car from the pole barn to the garage was an adventure on its own.

I started by installing my new stereo. This thing is freaking awesome.  It really brings the feel of the car into this century, with hands free calling, GPS, Pandora, etc.

Sorry this picture is so shitty.

Once I was done I moved on to the next Christmas present.

I adjusted the shifter and now it is perfectly centered, no more banging my hand on the park brake.  I also added a B&M leather shift knob to get rid of the 5 speed pattern. I think it turned out pretty nice and stealthy too.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline dandoe

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2016, 06:03:02 PM »
trans mount came out good! might need your help making mine, going to need a similar design as yours to mount to the chassis 

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 07:46:55 PM »
Just let me know when you want to build it. Should be easier with single exhaust.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2016, 09:16:57 AM »
How many mis matched LS engines you got laying around now? Enough to franken 1 together? I'm really tempted to LS the truck and possibly then add a turbo.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2016, 12:13:01 PM »
I've got nothing extra laying around. Nothing that's mine at least. 5.3L engines, code LM7 are pretty cheap though.  I'm planning to do a 5.3L and a turbo in my old C10 too.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo