Author Topic: New Member  (Read 3829 times)

Offline dyckvk

« on: April 08, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »
Hello - I recently bought an 85 GSL-SE and am looking forward to getting to know others in the Mid-Michigan area with the same interests.  Does the club sponsor any shows or gatherings?  Also, any recommendations on a good mechanic in the Lansing area?  Thanks.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »
Welcome to the Club.  We do host a gathering of rotaries for Woodward Dream cruise in Pontiac and we host a bbq cookout at fitzgerald park in Grand Ledge.  We have hosted other gatherings but those have fallen to the wayside over the past year. 

A quote i saw one time sums up the experience of owning a rotary.  It showed a picture of a second generation Rx-7 on jack stands in a garage with the hood up and it said "Mazda Rx-7, turning ordinary men into master mechanics"

I grew up in the lansing area, but the shop i used to use up there closed.  We tend to meet up together and help each other out as needed with the cars most of the time.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline dyckvk

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 05:36:41 PM »
Groll - thanks for the note!  I'll be very interested in attending the Grand Ledge event and any other mid-Michigan gatherings.  My Rx was supposed to be "fully restored," but it in fact has many needs (long story).  A friend of mine and I have done some interior work, and I have a garage doing some mechanical maintenance. I love the first gen Rx and the rotary and hope to own one from now on - altho probably not this one.   Look forward to meeting others. 

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:07:15 AM »
Welcome! post some pics already!  8)

Offline dyckvk

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:41:51 AM »
OK, here goes... It's a classic 20 footer - if I saw this car in the parking lot I'd be the first to run over to check it out. Working with a friend we've replaced the steering wheel and stalks, pedals, sunroof headliner, broken dash vents, rims and tires, cleaned up paint over spray, etc.  Have to finish replacing larger headliner, various interior trim pieces and replace seats back to stock.  My garage has replaced most bushings, discs and pads all around, plugs, fuel injectors, etc.  Having some paintwork done shortly.  Some needs remain but it's getting better. 

A friend had one in high school in the early '80s and I've loved them ever since.  I'm hoping to find an original low mile example to keep.  Looking forward to meeting others with the same addiction!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 05:48:14 AM »
the car looks sharp.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline dyckvk

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 03:33:42 PM »
Thanks!  Hopefully I can show it to you this summer at some point.  As I said, it looks incredible from a few feet back, but I'm fairly picky about cars.  I drove one for sale in GR last weekend that was very nice, and fast.  Checking out another in the thumb perhaps this weekend.  They're phenomenal cars and it's been fun to search for parts, etc. 

Actually, I have a technical question for someone - I'm looking for a banjo bolt/banjo fitting set for the 84-85 GSL-SE fuel filter.  The previous owner stuck in the smaller filter designed for the 12a.  Any ideas where I can find one?  Alternatively, I have a fuel filter for an '86, but the leads aren't big enough for the fuel lines. 

Offline XLNDRVR

• Revotee
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 06:04:46 PM »
Welcome. Nice looking car!  And garage.
I'm close, in Holt. I have an '85 GSL which I am slowly restoring.
'85 GSL in a billion pieces.  For now - stock 12A, full RB dual exhaust, Re-Speed R&P conversion, 15x7 Konig rims, Tokico Blues, RB lowering springs, poly bushings, rats removal.

Offline dyckvk

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »
XLNDRVR - Holt's not that far.  We should get together some weekend and compare notes.  I was just visiting a friend in Fairfax, VA, and went to a "Cars and Coffee" gathering this morning (Saturday).  I wonder if there is something like that locally or an interest in starting one.

Offline gzfqy6

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 06:58:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks!  Hopefully I can show it to you this summer at some point.  As I said, it looks incredible from a few feet back, but I'm fairly picky about cars.  I drove one for sale in GR last weekend that was very nice, and fast.  Checking out another in the thumb perhaps this weekend.  They're phenomenal cars and it's been fun to search for parts, etc. 

Actually, I have a technical question for someone - I'm looking for a banjo bolt/banjo fitting set for the 84-85 GSL-SE fuel filter.  The previous owner stuck in the smaller filter designed for the 12a.  Any ideas where I can find one?  Alternatively, I have a fuel filter for an '86, but the leads aren't big enough for the fuel lines.

Welcome.  I find Matt Peters 269-948-8311 to be a great source for GSL-SE parts.

OOPS....I just noticed you already had located him in your 1st Gen Specific post.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:02:39 AM by gzfqy6 »
"No matter how late it is, it's never as late as it is later on"

'84 GSL-SE. ReSpeed, Mazdatrix, RacingBeat, G-Force Engineering bits, Miata gearset, 15" Drag DR-9 wheels.

Offline dyckvk

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
gzqwy6 - Yeah, Matt is great and has been my go to guy for almost a year.  Incredible selection at very good prices - I think all my interior replacement parts came from him.  I did finally find a banjo bolt/fitting set up that we think works at speedwaymotors.com.  I'll know by Friday and let you all know how it goes. 

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 05:56:21 AM »
Awesome, look forward to hearing if the banjo bolt  setup works well or not. 
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline dyckvk

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 03:22:26 PM »
Good news - banjo bolts from Speedwaymotors.com worked!  For anyone wondering, the part number is 91611077, single 3/8" banjo fitting.  $19 for each set (bolt and fitting plus washers), needed two of them.  Car seems to be coming together better than expected.

Offline dyckvk

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
Hey - anyone have a good source for troubleshooting rotary engine problems?  I'm told mine can't find a proper idle which they believe to be a vacuum leak somewhere, but there are many places that could be. Alternatively, there are any number of variances that could effect idle on a rotary, even if no leak.  The engine is running much better, just not great.  Thanks!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 07:24:09 AM »
Itswill is pretty good at troubleshooting the problems.  I hit him up with anything that is a little more difficult that i am unable to solve on my own.  I know the S4 NA setups fairly well since that is what i have been running for so long.  Definitly go through checking all vaccum connections and ensureing there is no leak.  Then you can work with adjusting the idle to ensure smooth operation. 

I had a low compression in my engine which was a major cuase for my erratic idle in conjunction with a vaccumn leak i found.  If i adjusted idle closure to 1k instead of the 750 recommended, the engine smoothed out nicely.  The only way to really know is to see under your hood what is going on, but that is just my two cents.
"Long Live Rotary"