Author Topic: Any suggestions?  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Hussker

Any suggestions?
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:18:30 PM »
Hey guys, I am having some very rough idling problems. I can keep my car running if i use the clutch and keep the RPM's up but if I start it and let it run for a second she will just sputter out and die. I just filled up so I may have gotten bad gas or somehow managed to hit 87 octane instead. Is there something I should check first?

Thanks guys!
Zoom Zoom

Offline toplessFC3Sman

Re: Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 06:22:38 AM »
It'd have to be very, very bad gas to keep the engine from idling properly.  87 octane alone wouldn't do it.

First guess would be that the idle control valve or idle hole in the throttle body (not sure which the RX8 uses) has gotten plugged, so there isn't enough airflow, or the drive-by-wire throttle is sticking a bit when closed/almost closed (where any tiny adjustments make the biggest difference).  A similar thing could be caused by vacuum leaks causing the idle control to over-compensate or the car to run too lean after starting.  Those would be the two places I'd start checking anyway

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
Let us know if those suggestions do not work. 
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline Hussker

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:13:09 PM »
Hey thanks guys! I first checked all my vacuum lines and MAF sensor.. that didn't help but I unplugged and plugged back in my spark plug wires and its running perfect now. Not sure if it was corrosion or if one of the wires was coming loose but glad it wasn't anything serious.  Although I will say it is time for a new Ignition system.  Packs, wires, and plugs are being bought this week.

Thanks again guys!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:14:45 PM by Hussker »
Zoom Zoom

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
no problem, glad it turned out to be a simple fix. 
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 06:42:02 AM »
How has your car been running?
"Long Live Rotary"