Author Topic: 84 GSL-SE  (Read 2188 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: 84 GSL-SE
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 05:58:34 AM »
Black tends to hide a lot of stuff fairly easily.  You should be able to strip the wheels with walnut shells and then re-clear them. 

I do have to say i like the rims on Mike's car.  They could use a good cleaning though.  I plan to try to get back out in my garage tonight and work some more.  I have new o-rings for the injectors to put on.  Figured I can get that on and maybe see about a new vbelt for the air pump too.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 06:11:55 AM »
Well its been a busy weekend, so i havent gotten to get to the car at all.  I did do some work last night.  I put squirted some oil into the rotor housings with my oil can.  I then tested the engine to ensure it spun freely and properly which it was doing.  The test resulted in no blown fuses so gives me a pretty good idea that i have the short figured out.

I removed the clutch master cylinder and then installed the new master clutch cylinder.  I then bled the clutch so that it is now operating properly.  i figured not bad for only a couple of hours of work.  Maybe i can get a few things done tonight when i work on it.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 06:23:57 AM »
Last night i spent two hours figuring out and re-assembling the ignitition assembly for the car, since when i took it apart a while ago, everything fell out of it.  They say third time's the charm and this was the third time i sat and tried to re-assemble it.  Now i can use the key agian to turn over the engine of the car.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »
I pulled the intake assembly off.  At first it didn't want to disconnect itself, but it finally decided to come apart.  I noticed the water connections had left remnants of leaking in the past.  Upon pulling off the hoses, I noticed the hose connections were completely blocked.  I managed to get it cleaned out, but the lower hose connection was horribly corroded.  while trying to clean off the corrosion the hose connect broke off.  Looks like I need to try to figure out a way to repair it. 

I also cleaned off a lot of nuts leaves and other dirt that was on top of the engine under the intake.  Hopefully this Friday I can get the two hose connections repaired that I have come across with this car.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »
Well its been a few days since I updated the progress, finally bought the mpt adapter for where we tapped the hose connection.  I have replaced the fuel filter.  I had to grind off the bolt holding the filter in place since it was too rust to get off with a wrench.  Otherwise, i havent done alot of work on it.  I hope to get back to it and get the last little bit buttoned up and then try to start it for the first time in eight years.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 11:20:54 PM »
It has been a long cold winter.  My garage would not retain heat very well with the extra cold weather we have had, so I had been avoiding working in it.  Not to mention over 90% of my floor eventually became covered in a sheet of 1/2 inch thick ice.  I spent the last two weeks on the nicer days breaking the ice up and shoveling what I can from around the car so that I can safely utilize my garage and give me incentive to work on the car.

Today I had Will come over to help me unload my trailer and after that, we started to work on the car.  I replaced the radiator with a much better one.  Will helped me track down the electrical problem.  He has a picture of what we found, but after over two hours we found where it was shorting out at.   Now the fuel pump runs when you try to start the car.  The wires need to be properly replaced yet.  The bad part is we found out there is a hole in the fuel line and it will just dump fuel onto the ground.  So the result is one item replaced and two problems found.  Overall though it was a good evening.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 07:57:22 AM »
Man its been a long time since i updated this effort.  Well I have replaced a lot of things on the car over the summer.  Unfortunatly it has been frustrating and hasnt had much of my attention the past two months since i concentrated on my own 87 rx7.  It does breifly start up.

Last night Fidelity came over and we tinkered with it.  Determined that the issue is in the fuel delivery system.  The current thinking is that maybe the injectors are stuck or resistence is out of spec for them.  I will be pulling off the upper intake to get down to them and see if i can clean them or even replace them if need be.  The extra hand has re-energized me to get this project off of my plate.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2015, 08:52:49 AM »
Many Thanks to ItsWill for coming over this past friday.  Between the two of us, we figured out the issue with the car not firing and running properly.  Resoldered some cold solder points on the computer board, straightened and connected pins off of the ignitor, tested and verified operation of the fuel injectors and a few other things.  We spent most of the day going over it all.  We removed the BAC Valve and verified that it is not working at all.  Now have to await for the new part to come in.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »
Found out the BAC was bad.  After a couple months of searching, got a new/used BAC for the car.  Installed it.  The car can currently hold an erratic idle between 1100 to 1600 RPM after being fully warmed up.  Just need to see about dialing it down to a proper steady idle.  At least i can move the car in and out of my garage on its own power. 
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 11:14:40 AM »
This week it is time to get back into working on this car and trying to get it out of my driveway.  If anyone wants to come over and help me try to get this idle straightened out, i would appreciate the extra hand.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 06:18:23 AM »
Well i can get the car running and it will hold a bouncy idle around 900-1050.  Haro2488 came over and helped me with it.  We then ran another compression test on it and was getting 60s on the rear rotors and 35s on on the front rotors.  I am going to try some atf and seafoam in it to seal if it is just the seals stuck or not.  Otherwise the only hope for this car is a full rebuild. 
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 04:03:14 AM »
I wouldn't seafoam that engine or use ATF on it.  Do some research on ATF and you will find it's no good for the engine.  I ran seafoam on my RX7 one time all it did was make it run like shit.  I recommend putting a little oil in it and rotating it everyday for a week or so to loosen up the seals, then retest the compression.  Last I remember the compression on that engine was borderline but even between rotors and every face.  If anything the seals could be carboned up from running like shit and then sitting.  I guess with that said I still recommend rebuilding that engine like i did over a year ago.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 06:24:29 AM »
Itswill, I agreed with your re-building assesment.  The guy keeps wanting to bandaid.  I will try what i can for band-aiding.  The biggest issue is to try to get the buildup off of the seals, the cleaner is the better way to start.  I am still iffy about the ATF, but I will be researching more tonight before i move forward.
"Long Live Rotary"