Author Topic: Rotary fans rejoice: New Mazda RX-7 could use the next Miata’s platform  (Read 2770 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Rotary fans rejoice: New Mazda RX-7 could use the next Miata’s platform

By Stephen Edelstein  — June 15, 2014
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Since the Mazda RX-8 was discontinued in 2011, fans have clamored for a new rotary-powered sports car. A new report suggests Mazda has finally heard their pleas.

There have been rumors of a new RX-8 or two-door RX-7 before but the latest, from Auto Express, puts forth some interesting possibilities.

The magazine claims Mazda will launch a new sports car in 2017 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Cosmo – it’s first production car powered by a Wankel rotary engine.

This car is expected to use a lengthened version of the chassis from the new MX-5 Miata (which will debut next year), and could ditch the RX-8′s rear-hinged suicide doors for a two-door body style that recalls the good ‘ole RX-7, which was more of a pure sports car.

Thanks to their ability to produce impressive power from relatively little displacement, and rev like there’s no tomorrow, rotary engines made the RX-7 and and RX-8 legendary. They also won Mazda a victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1994.

However, these engines have always been hampered by high oil consumption and poor fuel economy.

Since the last RX-8 left showrooms, Mazda developed its “Skyactiv” line of efficient piston engines. It’s suggested that lessons learned from this effort could be applied to a new rotary engine.

Mazda is reportedly targeting an output of 300 horsepower for the new engine, which could be pretty entertaining if engineers manage to keep the new RX-7′s weight down.

Hints of a new RX-7 are further proof that, like fashion, automotive trends run in cycles.

If it really does arrive in 2017, the new RX-7 could find itself competing against a raft of other reincarnated Japanese sports cars, including successors to the Mitsubishi 3000GT, Subaru SVX, and Toyota Supra. It’s the Nineties all over again.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

Awesome, lately I've been hearing a lot of news in regards to this! I'm interested in if they're going to use the "16X" engine? Either way, my money is saved up, haha! I'm excited, whether or not I actually get one. Wondering if they're considering a turbo version?
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
i think that is their plan to use the 16x engine.  Remeber you could easily make the car run on hydrogen too.  becuase they are doing the direct injection in the 16x engine.  I would love to get a 3rotor version of it.  I wonder if they will make one.  That would be phonominal if they did.  Plus they would satify alot of the horsepower crazies that are around.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

Not sure how reliable this source is, but I just read this... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
450 hp, sounds pretty wild!
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

This!!!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Murz, I corrected your link so that it works properly. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:33:09 AM by ~Groll69~ »
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

Two new rotary powered cars? That would be awesome! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1993 VR R1