Author Topic: What do you guys think about these housings? reuse or recycle?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline fidelity101

Afew concerns:
1. I overported this in efforts to run without inserts.
2. if I decide to the use the inserts there is a gap between the port opening and the exhaust insert. Would that be worse than running without insert?
3. The scratches/chrome flaking. The chrome flaking is in spec and that is the worst area out of the pair of housings. I can barely catch my finger nail on it but I'm sure its more than .0002" or whatever the spec is.

I'm tempted to use these, would you?

Notes:
This is a half bridge engine with huge ports, 4 port t2 end plates, s5 NA center iron.

I put a stock NA housing with stock insert next to this next to a stock NA housing with t2 insert to be able to see the difference.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: What do you guys think about these housings? reuse or recycle?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
I say give them a shot.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
If you were to, would you run with or without inserts? with the insert in you can see where it hangs above the floor of the ported portion on the housing...

or I need to hack up the insert to accomodate that new shape.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:56:02 AM »
I would run without the insert personally.  it will take away from some of the low end power.  but the setup is better for turboing without the inserts. 
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »
I sent these photos to other rotards and I got some good feedback.

Looks like I'm gonna assemble a rotary either saturday or sunday, anyone wanna join and have a few brews?

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 06:35:33 AM »
Well saturday was my birthday and as gift from Will, we started the assembly of my engine.  We started media blasting a rotor and front iron and painted it.  How did the build go yesterday?
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 04:58:30 AM »
It went together the following friday, some other issues got in the way. All in all a bit smooth but last time I did this I prepped the rotors 100% the day before so all I had to do was drop them in. It made for quite the long build.

I also got carried away on the hylomar this time, I may want to use a smaller brush and apply it next time lol.

Just started porting my t2 block for my NA streetport build since the rx8 trans came in last week :)