Author Topic: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver  (Read 16532 times)

Offline murz

Re: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2015, 07:00:27 PM »
Cleaned up the engine and transmission a bit, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not sure if I should paint anything or not, either way it all looks nice. The Turbo is an S5 with an S5 exhaust manifold. Just getting everything set up and ready for when I do the swap.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2015, 07:16:17 AM »
I would say add some paint.  It will make it look even nicer for a longer period of time.  Since it is sitting out, then that is a perferct time to do so. 

OR

You can just give it to me to go into the TII i have now lol.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2015, 12:59:43 AM »
Looks clean. Put it in the way it is. That's my vote.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2015, 08:01:52 AM »
A little bit more cleaning, if I paint anything, it will be the housings. Everything is actually quite clean. Just waiting to get a few more parts, then I'll be ready for the swap.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2015, 12:37:31 PM »
Definitely taking my sweet time with this project.

I have nearly everything I need for the swap, I just need primary 550cc high impedence injectors, a downpipe, and turbo II axles. I now have everything else I'll need. With school full time, work full time, and a LeMons project, my time is limited right now. I'd like to have this done by August though...

1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2015, 01:10:40 PM »
Figured I'd post this here as well. This was my friend's car back in high school ten years ago that got me into RX-7s.

He was finally able to find pictures of it for me. You wouldn't believe it, but this was bought in a junkyard and looked more like a heap of bent metal and rust originally. My friend's dad owns a body shop, which at the time, did all of the work on the car. They did a pretty good job, though it took quite some time. As soon as my friend turned 16, the car was his.

A rebuilt streetported S5 engine was thrown in, with a full racing beat exhaust as well. BMW Sterling Grey was the paint used.

The car was eventually sold for a large profit to someone out west who flew here to drive it home.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:00:52 PM by murz »
1993 VR R1

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2015, 08:01:28 PM »
That engine/trans is stupid clean.

Offline murz

« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2015, 07:54:25 AM »
Thanks! Yeah which is why i don't think it needs painted.

So, i found a Turbo II hood for cheap, i now have everything (except real minor things) to make a stock Turbo II.

I'm going to tackle this in stages.

Stage I: convert to stock turbo II, with S5 turbo, and modded NA harness.

Stage II: megasquirt and better turbo, probably BNR something, front mount intercooler, larger injectors, de powered steering rack, and more.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2016, 01:27:36 PM »
So, i was thinking the Stock S4 GXL weighs something around 2625lbs, which is pretty darn light compared to the S5s. But, going Turbo is going to add a little bit of weight, so I wanted to make up for that, by removing what I can.

Things that will affect the weight:

Adding a Turbo= +22lbs (this is the S4 variant, the S5 which I'll be using seems a bit lighter and smaller)
Changing from a NA trans to a T2 trans = +19lbs
Changing from 15 inch GXL wheels to 16 inch GTUs rims= +4lbs
Total= +25lbs
------
I'm assuming the Turbo II intake weights the same, if not less than the NA set up. Since the NA has, lower intake, upper intake, and plenum+TB+more of that plastic snorkel tubing.

Going from a 27.8lb T2 Flywheel to a 10lb flywheel w/ 4lb counter weight = -13lbs

A/C Delete = -15lbs, (not sure if this accounts for the cooler and tubes)
P/S Delete = -20lbs (The mounting bracket as well as all P/S associated things)
Airpump Delete= -9lbs
Emissions, ACV, emissions rack, air silencer etc= -15lbs?
Steel hood to T2 Alum hood= -20lbs
Spare tire delete = -28lbs
Jack and winch delete= -2lbs
Total = 122lbs

Which equates to about 2547Lbs
-----------

Now, I want to keep it as daily-driveable as possible, so the sound deadening won't be removed, I like having a passenger seat, etc. I want to pretty much maximize the car's horsepower when it's all set and done. I want her to look like a stock Turbo II as much as I can as well. But I'd like to maximize my power to weight without drilling holes in the car and removing body panels.

There's a few things I didn't take into account, such as the Racing beat/Borla exhaust mix I have going on, as well as the turbo II spoiler, Turbo II axles, and a few other minor things that I have not weighed yet. I'll eventually weigh all the intake stuff as well.

I think 2547lbs is pretty light either way for a car that will have 250bhp (hopefully) initially, and then 300+ down the road.

Anything I'm missing, or suggestions?

1993 VR R1

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2016, 03:03:19 PM »
I dont think the emissions delete is 15 lbs, maybe 5. not much to it but other than that I think you're on the right track.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2016, 06:56:37 PM »
You could delete the rear antenna and use the windshield one.

I will through in my 2 cents about the lightweight flywheel because I have run them on turbo 13Bs and I have one on my 20B.  I personally am not a fan of light weight flywheels on a 13b.  Beside total vehicle mass reduction the performance gains I didn't feel were favorable for a street car.  Yes it seemed to free rev faster but there was no distinguishable feel of increased acceleration. Actually whether it was or not, it actually made the car feel slower especially when changing gears since the light flywheel has less momentum.  Also the car was not as smooth to take off from a stop. 

86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2016, 07:30:36 PM »
I totally forgot about the rear antenna, it's not very good anyways. I'll have to do this as well.

As a daily driver I can see the Lighter flywheel being a pain in the ass, I'm running one right now on this car, and I actually really like it, it took a bit of getting used to, I can tell it accelerates faster through 1st and 2nd gear. It does take a bit of finese when starting in 1st, I got used to it quickly though. The revs drop and rise much faster, so shifting can be much faster too. I honestly think it really helps out the NA quite a bit.

The Turbo set up I have, actually came with a lightweight Turbo flywheel, so I'm going to go with that anyways. I'm not sure if it will drop too fast to keep me out of boost, I'll have to make quick shifts to stay in boost if I'm short shifting it I guess.

Totally understand your feelings on the lighter flywheel though, it has its pros and cons.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2016, 07:44:50 AM »
Since the vert is out of storage and I freed up garage space, I stored Silver for a bit. While she's stored, the plan is to have the turbo swap done. I now have mostly everything I need, 1 more order of primary injectors, a downpipe and half shafts should do it.
I'll be replacing the hideous front fascia that's been on the car since the PO, with a OEM S4 front. That means the one I have will need to get painted, as well as the T2 hood. It's almost that time! Pretty excited to get this done, I'll have two weeks off of school the end of this month which is when I'll begin the transformation.

1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2016, 05:37:12 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing this thing on the road, not to mention Turbo Powered!
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2016, 06:26:55 AM »
Update, the T2 engine and trans are in. Still a lot left to do, but most of the big stuff is done.
1993 VR R1