Author Topic: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver  (Read 16309 times)

Offline murz

Re: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2016, 07:51:20 AM »
haven't checked them yet, but with the aftermarket fuel pump and stock regulator, I can only imagine. It starts up fine though, which is nice.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »
A pressure regulator may help, but I highly doubt it is your issue.  I ran 2 cars both with walbro 255s and stock fuel pressure regulators and they started up and idled like a dream. When I had a leaking blow off valve I ran into hard starting and idle issues.

Also you may consider leaving it rich, the reason I suggest that is because I'm not sure the stock ECU will add fuel to compensate for boost much above stock levels.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2016, 08:03:24 AM »
Now that I am thinking about boost levels, I remembered that you have a fuel cut defender.  That could be doing something funny to the MAP sensor, or there could be an issue with the MAP sensor itself.  Also where did you connect the vacuum hose at the engine?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »
I remember you saying you had the stock reg w/ walbro, so it's possible then! I'll check my BOV though, who knows. I have the Boost sensor Teed into the BOV vacuum and they go into the upper intake manifold.
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2016, 01:09:01 PM »
I doubt its your BOV, that would make it hard to start. Which port on the UIM? They don't all have vacuum all the time.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2016, 01:41:22 PM »
The port next to the BAC, its the only port on the passenger side. I made sure it was a port that sees vacuum
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2016, 10:03:57 AM »
After playing around with the car a bit, I was able to reinforce some of the shoddy wiring on the chassis side. Also, I was doing some thinking and thought maybe my car would run on 1 rotor and just not start if I ran out of gas. Maybe?? My gauge wasn't showing me as empty, but I checked, and I was empty... Great gauge isn't working.

I put about 3 gallons of gas in, and she starts right up! The gauge is showing as about a quarter full now, so I'm hoping it's working. Anyways, I then decide to take her out for a quick drive, just to ensure no problems. She drives very well, especially considering she has a lightweight flywheel, clutches super nice and easy, and the transmission shifts like butter.

Can hear the turbo spool up around 2k RPMs, very pleasant sound. I decide to get into boost to see how she acts after she was warmed up nicely. Didn't quite feel very powerful, but the low end torque is quite surprising for being a 13b. My fuel pump started whinning about this time, extremely loud, loud enough to overpower my idle noise. I was a bit concerned as my car didn't feel like it was making boost, and my fuel pump became extremely loud all of a sudden.

Pulled over, shut the car off, realized my waste gate was disconnected, that explains the boost issues. Started the car back up (she started right back up too) and the fuel pump whine is back.

My best possible explanation is that I'm low enough on gas still that the pump isn't submerged and isn't muffling the whine.

I'm still using the throttle cable as a means for idle, my car seems to idle much better without my NA BAC rigged for a T2, so that's off right now, and blocked off. I'm thinking a T-2 BAC would help me out, as I'd be able to bump up the idle (No emissions) which seems to be a common thing with T2 minus emissions. Though, I'm very happy with how it's running, 900RPM idle, smooth as butter once she's warmed up. No flooding, instant starts.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »
Was able to get a 30 minute drive in today, just putzing around seeing how she behaves. After about 5 minutes of running, the fuel pump begins to start whinning to the point of drowning out the exhaust and the radio on full blast. She won't go into boost right now, as at 3800 RPMs I begin to get hesitations. Which scare me, I can drive with a light foot over 4k rpms, but any WOT and it will hesitate. I know it's not the typical grounding issues, as it works when the fuel pump isn't making noises, and I've re-done them all. Since re-installing the fuel pump I was a bit low on gas, actually I was basically on E after cleaning out the fuel tank. When the fuel pump is whining I get a bit of hesitations all throughout the rev range when more than a quarter throttle. This also doesn't happen when it isn't whining. Here's what I found on this, basically when using a walbro for the first time, you need to have a half tank or more preferably, without doing this, there's a good chance they'll overheat and have several issues. So... new fuel pump I'll have to get.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2016, 06:39:35 PM »
I think I figured out why the pump was getting so damn loud, the in take filter is getting clogged up with what looks like mud. I'm thinking I'll have to drop the tank, and clean the damn thing entirely. I changed out the filter, and took her for a drive again, no whinning noises, at least for about 20 minutes anyways. Also, i realized my secondary injectors weren't actually 750cc, they were around 850cc. I since fixed this and replaced them with proper 750cc. Decided to do a 3/4 throttle pull, or maybe just under, and it pulls very nice throughout the band, and generates quite a bit more torque under 3k. The exhaust also doesn't smell rich at all, which has me worried a bit, I'll have to test the fuel pressure and see what I'm getting.

1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2016, 05:59:12 AM »
Here I thought that you had gotten the tank cleaned when you pulled all of the stuff out before.  Hopefully you can get it completely clean.  Use an acid to take out any rust too to prevent additional buildup in the future.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
So, figured I'd finally post this, found some free time and I really want to finish up this project (need to drop and clean gas tank.)

Enjoy!
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »
After cleaning the chump tank with acid I would suggest using electrolysis
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
Went a different route... after pulling the tank I realized the tank was quite rusty, rustier than I could tell with gasoline in it. The outside of it was quite rusty, and in one area it was quite weak and felt like I could easily puncture it. I ended up buying a replacement fuel tank from 'That guy Bruce' in Milford, I was surprised at how clean it was, especially considering it was used. It looks factory clean on the inside. I also picked up a rust-free sun-roof as well.

Hopefully soon I can have the car on the road!

My next plans are:
1. Paint the black hood and new sun-roof to match the body.
2. Install a wideband sensor and boost sensor.
3. Quest for more power (this may come much further down the road.) It may come in the form of a V8, a Bridgeport or a hybrid turbo. Only time will tell.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
Well, I've installed the new fuel tank, it wasn't that bad to be honest, another hand would have been nice though. I went to start her and the fuel pump wasn't turning on. I swapped the pump with another walbro I had, and it starts and IDLES on its own. However, it sounds like a weak Bridgeport for some reason.

My guess is that it's firing on just one rotor, it sound and feels like it. Why though? My guess is that either it's popped for some reason (it ran just fine last time, but the bad fuel maybe?) Or perhaps it has a bad coil or spark plugs for some reason? It has been a while since they've been changed...
Or maybe the ECU is causing issues, I did replace it with a 1.7 Rtek since last running it.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »
Culprit turned out to be the RTEK, it's running better now with the stock ECU.

I've put a total of 40 minutes of driving behind the wheel the last two days. I'll post a picture of it not in a driveway soon.
1993 VR R1