Author Topic: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver  (Read 15306 times)

Offline murz

Re: 1986 GXL engine rebuild
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2014, 08:49:10 PM »
Oh, and if you noticed I deleted the Fuel pulsation dampener on the primary fuel rail, I used a banjo bolt and 2 new washers. 
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 05:09:33 AM »
bad weekend for me I am moving to my new place in waterford. or at least starting to move.

Offline murz

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:28 PM »
Aw man, that's a bummer, hopefully it all goes well for you! That's the area I want to live eventually. The rotary workshop idea sounds awesome! Never thought I'd have so much fun with this project. Anyways if you get down time and have nothing else to do, let me know.

Finally, the last shipment of parts came in! Racing beat lightweight steel flywheel, rear counter weight, Atkins aux intake sleeves and a few other things.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The sleeves look really good, well polished throughout, much better than the stock 90 degree bend!

This Friday I begin re-assembly, hopefully...
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »
So, I realized, last moment I should have ordered new corner seal springs, the ones I had were the original wire ones, oops. So next week re-assembly will begin! Anyways, in the mean time I decided to paint some things, including the block here's how it looks, as well as my injectors. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I was going to paint the housings as well, but I really dig this look now. What do you guys think?
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »
So, i managed to get the major engine assembly finished. It wasn't too bad, I followed Atkin's rebuild dvd and followed along the haynes manual. The most difficult part was getting the second rotor into the housing, matching up with the Eccentric shaft without dropping any of the rotor seals, a rubber band did help. I used petroleum jelly to support the water seals, not too much of it was needed really. I realized after the fact that I should have used hylomar, as PJ would cause the seals to swell. How ever, I called Atkins and they reassured me i'd be fine, as long as I don't take her apart anytime soon. Phew! Oh, front and main seal were replaced as well.

Anyways, it wasn't bad really, coming from someone that has pretty much no experience with this sort of thing. Took 2 hours total. No help, no power tools, just a torque wrench and basic tools. Definitely a confidence booster when it comes to the automotive repair world.

I haven't yet assembled the front cover yet, because I don't have a dial indicator to measure end play, tomorrow I'll swing by and grab one from harbor freight hopefully.  (I'm sure endplay won't really change, but I'd rather be safe.)

Anyways, hope everyone has had a great 4th of July weekend! Murica! It would be AWESOME if I was able to get this car up and going this week!
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
Here's one last picture, I've read that re-aligning the engine to the transmission isn't fun. Any tips or tricks? Also, replacing the Throw out bearing and seal, thermal pellet, front main bolt and more.
1993 VR R1

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 05:58:06 AM »
it just takes a whole lot of shaking and pry bar from the steering rack to the front cover.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 07:58:33 AM »
looking great.  Wanna rebuild mine now?  lol
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 08:35:45 AM »
Thanks haha, it wasn't that bad, especially coming from me! But I'd be glad to help for sure!  :) 

Well looks like today I'll finish the assembly of the short block, have a lightweight steel flywheel, stage 1 clutch kit and new bearings to get thrown on! This car is going to be a blast to drive hehe. Hopefully I can manage getting the engine in today as well, that would be fantastic! I have the entire day off to dick around with this, weather dependent of course. Thanks for the confidence with this guys!
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 12:06:14 PM »
Wow, it's looking good!  I can't wait to see it on the road!

Offline murz

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 03:03:03 PM »
Thanks! Same here, hope to have it running soon. Since I'll be pre-mixing... I'll have to start gathering some 2 stroke oil. So far, I've read that a good option is Red Line 2 stroke oil and mix it 5.5oz to 5 gallons of fuel. Also, what Octane fuel should I use then? 
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »
If you're still NA and haven't changed the compression ratio or advanced the spark much, 87 should be fine.  The extra knock protection won't do you any good if you don't knock on 87

Offline murz

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 09:12:43 PM »
  So, I've slowed down progress a bit. Full time college takes a bit out of my free time. Also, rebuilding a rotary engine is a lot to take in, especially for someone with my basically zero previous automotive maintenance experience. Though, I can't tell you how many hours have been spent reading build threads, looking up how-to's, double checking what it is that I'm even doing, the forums have been my home as of lately, as well as the Haynes manual.

So, as of now, I have 32 days left until I reach my deadline of having this build complete (as in running, reliable etc.). I'm pretty confident I'll reach my goal, how ever, it would be nice to have it running by this upcoming weekend as the 26 and 27th I'll be up in Icecoda Michigan (Oscoda, oops), and it will make the perfect opportunity to break in my engine. So... I'm going to try for that! Even if I don't make my goal, then I'll still continue to work on it. After I meet my goal, I think the next thing to do is upgrade suspension, then body work stuff, I need a new front fender badly, I absolutely hate the one I have on right now, it's also cracked... I found this image on facebook, I think I'm going to try and aim for getting my car to look similar to this one, while staying NA, minus painting the spoiler silver and T2 hood, I think my tint is darker also. I wonder what the wheel and tire specs are though?

Anyways, after the major assembly was done I took a bit of a break. Finally got off my ass and got to work. This is how I was able to torque the flywheel and front hub assembly. Using an engine stand arm as a stopper, saved me from buying an actual flywheel stopper. Notice the new flywheel? Lightweight Steel Racing beat, with the appropriate counterweight as well.

Next step was to assembly the front stack and measure end play, I was getting 0.0025 in' until I properly torqued the flywheel then I got 0.002. According to the manual, it was in specifications, so I went with it.

New clutch!
New Pressure plate!

Notice the pulley? Yeah... as an early birthday present I got myself a glimer pulley set. I've read that fabrication had to be done about 50% of the time. Yeah... I had to fabricate the water pump pulley, just used a stone drill grinder bit thing, and walah, it fit! Assembled the front cover, using a gasket and RTV. Then threw the oil pan on, just using RTV great stuff without the gasket, which is something I read on the forums as well. Transferred timing marks over, and set the CAS properly. Turned the engine, and heard the whooosh noises! I'd be lying if I said that didn't excite me. Threw the power steering pulley on and called it a day, the water pump housing is just on it for looks right now... been to lazy to actually seal it down for some reason. Anyways, it looks good, at least to me it does. Also have my new motor mounts as well, my old ones were bad, one snapped in half, and the other is about to.

Forgot to mention, replaced the pilot bearing and seal, throw out bearing, front pulley bolt, and a new thermal pellet from Atkins rotary. There's probably more that I can't remember right now.

Here's a picture of block off plates, OMP and ACV, as well as my painted 5th and 6th port actuators. The LIM is bolted and sealed down, I actually almost forgot to add the sleeves! That could have been bad...

It's ready to get installed into the bay really, I want to install the rest (rat's nest, fuel rails, hoses, etc.) once it's in. One thing that's hanging me up a bit is the old previous exhaust pipe from manifold to pre-silencer has 2 nuts that are rusted pretty damn good, I don't have enough anger built up in me to get it, and I've tried everything but heat. I'll have to borrow a neighbor's propane torch I think.

So, from researching pre-mixing, I think it's safe to say I'll be mixing 100:1 TC-W3 2 stroke oil, or one 16oz per tank using 87 octane. Now to find out what type of engine oil to use, so many options. 20w50 perhaps?
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2014, 10:32:34 AM »
So, I got the engine installed on the 17th, and on the 18th at midnight the car was 98% complete. I had some assistance from my neighbor who helped me raise and lower the engine hoist as I was wrestling the engine into place on the input shaft, this took a few hours, eventually it slid right into place.

I got the engine in at 4:50, and I had to be on the road by 5:30 for class. So the next day I resumed my work and completed everything except the alternator, which I had to replace the pulley, and charge the battery.

So, woke up the next morning quite early, bought all necessary fluids, got a neighbor to use an impact hammer to replace my pulley, took like 2 seconds. Threw the alternator in, plugged it in and installed the belt. Topped off the oil, the coolant, power-steering and mixed a 5 gallon contain with 87 octane and 2 stroke oil, I added 7 ounces of 2 stroke to 5 gallons of gas, I went with a little extra oil to be safe. I noticed it only took about 3 quarts of coolant before it topped off. Installed the battery and primed it up by removing the fuse and cranking it. Threw the fuse back in, and crossed my fingers and decided to try and start it.

It started up on the first try! I shut her down because she revved to 3k, and then climbed to 4k, freaked me out a bit. Also, after watching the video I realized I forgot to tighten the power-steering bi-pulley. The coolant cap was off due to me still trying to fill it up.

Tried to start her again, and she didn't want to start, figured I flooded her... So I de-flooded it and she started up again, same thing... revved to 3k then climbed to 4k. At the point I realized I should just let her run! First, I decided to take off the TB and re-tighten it and make sure there were no leaks. also took off the cruise control. Started her up again, and now a different issue. Bouncing Idle... I assume it's the TPS (which forum members helped fortify my belief), which isn't a tough fix, how ever It's going to be tough to get it warmed up without actually driving her.

Total run time so far, probably about 40 minutes.

Finally got my RX7 Decal on her!

Anyways, I was able to at least build an engine and get her started. That's a pretty awesome feeling.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
Went to adjust the TPS today, was hoping to ride up to class haha, nope... my multimeter is dead.
1993 VR R1