Generation Specific > 2nd Generation Build Thread

Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver

<< < (2/41) > >>

fidelity101:
All beat up with the stickers and S5 tails. Yup thats me

murz:
Oh nice, yeah I've seen ya then. Didn't look beat up to me though. How often do you ride in it?

murz:
Engine is nearly ready to be pulled, pulling out the engine harness wire sucked the most so far. Rear oil line and the transmission is next. Thinking about raising the HP to 200, while keeping it NA. Any recommendations throw em' at me. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

toplessFC3Sman:
If I were to build an NA without any additional porting, I would:

- Get some long divided headers that combine pretty far down the length of the car - I'd aim for at least 3 ft of primary runner length, if not more, to keep the exhaust pulses from interfering with each other.  This depends on what you want to do for emissions & muffling, but I'd recommend keeping at least 1 high-flow cat at a minimum to take care of most of the gas fumes, and if you're NA, you'll absolutely need some mufflers
- Keep the 6-port actuators working, maybe get those little inserts for the bottoms of them (although I don't remember if anyone has shown a dyno benefit to them, so maybe not)
- An actual cold-air intake, not just that K&N filter.  This would mean either building a sealed airbox around it in the engine bay with cool air fed to it from in front of the radiator, or placing the air filter in the pocket in front of the car before the radiator & routing the intake tubing to it.
- Port-matching the intake manifold at each of the splits for gaskets - anything to help the air get into the engine
- Piggyback engine management system to take out some of the excess fuel that is in the stock tune.  Mazda tuned them pretty rich, and you can safely make them a bit leaner (still 13 - 13.5:1 AFR at WOT) & gain a bit of power & efficiency.  As long as you still have the stock AFM & injectors (which you shouldn't need to change), the stock ECU should be able to handle all the above mods with just some fine-tuning needed from the piggyback.

fidelity101:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginOh nice, yeah I've seen ya then. Didn't look beat up to me though. How often do you ride in it?

--- End quote ---

Not as often as I should. Got to do some repairs to make it roadworthy again, runs fine just down on power.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version