Author Topic: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver  (Read 16314 times)

Offline murz

Re: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
awesome, yeah I figured as much that there would be no avoiding it really. Here's a current video of the car running. It sounds nice, but I can't seem to get that idle any lower now. But it sounds nice! haha. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Currently removing the bed liner crap the PO put on the car, it'scoming off slowly with a bit of Goop be gone, and a lot of elbow grease.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2015, 07:00:51 AM »
Haven't had much time to work on Silver lately, but I thought I'd do this update, I think my issue is a vacuum leak, even though I've eliminated all but two vacuum lines and replaced them with upgraded silicone lines, I've spray tested all possible locations and couldn't find anything. I completely disregarded it being a vacuum leak because of this. But when I start the car, she revs up to 3k, and goes back down to 1.5k then goes to 1.2k, and as soon as she's warm she goes back to 1.5k. If i turn her off warm, and restart her, she goes to 3k, then goes to 1.5k and stays there.

The fact she revs to 3k each time, even on warm start ups, is telling me that it's probably a vac leak, as the 3k start up should only occur when COLD. Now, the ONLY gasket I haven't replaced is the damn one between the plenum and the Upper Intake. I have a gasket for it and will try to get to that soon, I've sprayed around it without finding leaks, but it's a strange spot to fully spray anyways.

Besides that, I've been working on cleaning up the bay a bit, the PO put this bed liner crap all over the engine bay, and it was poorly done on top of that. I'm talking, the crap was over all the wiring and anything attached to the car. It comes off fairly easy with the plastics, but the metal it self takes a ton of elbow grease and goop-off. Here's just a progress shot from how she looked like a few years ago, til now.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login+9

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:11:16 AM by murz »
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2015, 07:27:23 AM »
Next big plans while remaining NA: Upgraded Radiator, and Megasquirt! I just need the time, haha. Perhaps a temp controlled E-fan as well.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2015, 07:37:37 AM »
At the rate your going with it, i think your Silver is a mythical being.  It doesn't exist.  lol  If you need a hand with any of it let me know. 
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2015, 07:49:53 AM »
Haha, I agree it's been quite a while, but I want to get her perfect on the stock ECU, before I get her perfect on MS, and then and only then will I do the turbo swap, it shouldn't be too bad, as I have most parts already. It'll be a drop in deal sort of, a lot of things to swap out but I shouldn't have to wait for parts, etc.

If this gasket doesn't fix the leak I could use a hand in figuring it out. I'll definitely let you know. "The Mythical Silver GXL"
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2015, 08:00:19 AM »
It seems that GXLs here have a common theme of being the Mythical car!!! lol  I am so glad mine is running now.  The Myth is real folks!!!
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2015, 07:16:53 PM »
If the 3k RPM start is controlled by temperature and your engine revs up cold or hot, this tells me your engine thinks it is cold all the time.  Maybe it's a bad coolant temp sensor?  This would make it run rich as well.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »
Have you checked both the primary & secondary throttle plate stops vs. where the plates actually hit their bores & sealed?  I had a very persistent high idle and it turned out that the secondary plates' throttle stop (the plate on the throttle shaft) had bent a little & was keeping them from completely closing. This also made the car run more poorly since the fuel was only being injected into the primaries, but half the air was coming from the secondaries, leading to poor fuel distribution

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2015, 07:42:19 AM »
Have you checked both the primary & secondary throttle plate stops vs. where the plates actually hit their bores & sealed?  I had a very persistent high idle and it turned out that the secondary plates' throttle stop (the plate on the throttle shaft) had bent a little & was keeping them from completely closing. This also made the car run more poorly since the fuel was only being injected into the primaries, but half the air was coming from the secondaries, leading to poor fuel distribution

I think this is going on with my car...

Offline murz

« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2015, 08:04:48 AM »
I think this could be it, definitely something to check. Lowest i can get it to idle is 1200, but i think i'll take it off and check it all out again.

Also, slight change of plans... Going to go stock T2 before i go Megasquirt. So, time to aquire some stock t2 junk. Boost sensor, maf, and stock bov piping. Oh and the ecu...
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2015, 05:52:24 AM »
Okay, looks like all i'll need is the AFM and boost sensor. I think this will go quickly. Maybe do the swap before winter.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2015, 06:19:41 AM »
all for that idea.  lets make this happen.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2015, 07:06:44 AM »
How difficult is it swapping the differential? Besides that, everything seems straight forward, i can even use the NA EM harness, not bad! Just some tweaks are needed. I'll stay top mount until it's running right, theb switch to fmic. I think ITSWILL has an afm and boost sensor that i could buy off him.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2015, 09:05:05 AM »
swapping the differential shouldnt be difficult at all.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »
Swapping the diff isn't easy but it isn't the worst thing either. Takes a couple hours.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo