Author Topic: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver  (Read 15307 times)

Offline murz

Re: Murz' 1986 Arctic Silver GXL aka Silver
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2017, 06:56:26 AM »
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:21:42 AM by murz »
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
Put some more time behind the wheel, managed to fix the super annoying beeping/buzzing which turned out to be the power steering module.

The Waste gate arm kept falling off, preventing me from creating any significant boost, I fixed this by putting a small dab on the wastegate lever, enough to take it off if I need to. In the mean time, I enjoy the power it's making, the turbo really compliments the engine!

I still need a boost gauge and Wideband set-up, I will receive these this week sometime. Also, I've noticed belt squeel over 5k when under boost. I will fix this by finally installing my dual belt pulley system.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Forgot to mention, I have the stock cold air intake system on, to help restrict the intake to prevent overboost, etc, until I have a wideband and boost gauge installed.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:14:13 PM by murz »
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2017, 03:42:50 PM »
I like the stock intake, I can almost guarantee you are making more power than if you had a cone filter off the am like many do.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2017, 08:53:21 PM »
I saw a dyno comparision of the stock intake with kn filter vs. Cone intake. The cone made more power and boost, but way higher intake temps. I want to make a cold air wall around it and somehow bring in outside air.
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2017, 05:09:26 AM »
I would like to see that dyno comparison if you still have it.  I didnt think the stock intake was very restrictive.

You could always put your filter like I have mine on the ls1 car.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
I'll find it for you, it was a more recent post on rx7club. What you have is what i would like to do.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »
This weekend was productive, I was able to swap out the broken Wiper link-age for the replacement ITSWILL was able to give me (thanks again). While I was there, I completely cleaned out the area between the firewall, re did the seals between the window and vents and re-painted the wiper arms themselves. I also re-did some vacuum lines under the hood, re-adjusted the intercooler as there was a massive leak. I also messed with the throttle body to the point it now idles on its own instead of using the throttle to hold it open. I was very happy about all this.

I also replaced the rear wing with a better conditioned one I had.

I ended up taking the car for a spin Saturday, considering it was running so well. The boost was instant and full WOT made the car feel fast. which has been the norm lately, but to ensure at the time everything was running fine.

I was at a red light, as soon as the light turned green I opened it up and tried to see how fast I could go until the overpass. As soon as I began approaching the redline in 3rd gear, I was under the overpass, and as I exited it, I let off the throttle. As soon as I did this, there was a massive explosion behind me, sound being so extreme due to the overpass. But the back-fire was a bit different. I shifted into 4th and slowed the hell down. I noticed it didn't have enough power to accelerate anymore. I was worried and expected the worse, I pulled off to the side into a massive parking lot. I was now in 2nd gear, having difficulty accelerating at all. I was able to rev in neutral no problem though. Eventually the engine shutoff. At this point you could imagine I was a bit worried. Car wouldn't restart. I opened the hood, and what do you know, the damn Intake pipe from the turbo to the intercooler busted off. Threw it back on, and we were gold, car started right up. Car had all power restored and all was well, for the time... I took pictures of where it rested at for the minute it was there. (This is also double-clamped now.)

On the drive home, I noticed the coolant gauge slowly rising, I wasn't too worried as I was a minute or two from home, and it wasn't even half way. I decided to take the back way home, as to see if it would continue rising. Well, by the time I got home, the gauge was half-way there. I quickly shut off the car, and sprayed cold water on the radiator, not that it would really do much.

I found this odd, so the next day I checked to make sure the fan wasn't getting stuck or anything, which it wasn't. The belt was fine, maybe a bit tight. I checked the coolant level, and it was a bit low, maybe two cups low, which wasn't too much of a worry. I filled it back up, and noticed the over-flow was a bit low too. I returned to the car about an hour later, (mind you, the car did not run this day) and checked the coolant again. The coolant was at normal levels, however it was colored like chocolate milk and had an oily consistency and smell. This worried me, as I had not started the car since the day before. I then checked the oil as well, and it was the exact same thing, chocolate milk colored, and over-filled.

My car does not smoke, and never has, and I do pre-mix a bit. Doesn't even smoke on start up. The only thing I can think of, is that an outer coolant seal broke inside the oil pan, OR a freeze plug bursted in the front-cover. Both of these scenarios are very rare though. OR I have my coolant and oil lines mixed up, I double checked this and I'm good. I think it might be a good idea to replace the coolant and oil and see if I can re-create it. If this is the case, I'll have to pull the engine again. At least I got to drive it for over a week this year, I'll take it.

Or, is there a chance that something got fked up when the intercooler pipe blew off? I can't really think of anything off the top of my head though...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:06:41 PM by murz »
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #157 on: July 03, 2017, 06:33:59 AM »
Well, I will replace fluids and see if this continues. If it does, it will be pulled. If I'm pulling it, it's getting a port job (It may even already have one.), studded, and I'm throwing in the S5 T2 rotating assembling I have. So there's a positive side to this.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »
I really hope that it is nothing major.  Either way it doesn't sound good and I would recommend pulling the motor instead of replace fluids,  it will happen again and root cause needs to be fixed.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2017, 12:27:41 PM »
Yep, I decided to not even bother with replacing fluids. Going to get straight to pulling it.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2017, 06:52:46 AM »
Engine is out, fluids are out. Sometime this week I'll do damage assessment. Came out with no issues.

1993 VR R1

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2017, 12:57:55 PM »
oh no!!!

should be salvageable though its not water rusting in there for years and years from sitting.

I have the pineapple racing coolant system tester if you wanna findout where the leak is.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2017, 06:40:33 PM »
Whats the diagnosis?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2017, 01:46:38 PM »
Diagnosis is in, I thought it was a coolant seal, but nope.

Sounds like this is extremely rare!

Also, it's nice to have an actual home and garage now.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:49:31 PM by murz »
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2017, 01:53:18 PM »
Wow, that is very rare - it just rusted through right in that one spot? Quite strange.

Glad it wasn't anything more serious. So... you found the hole, then you said "fuck it, I've come this far so I'm taking the whole sucker apart anyway"?