Author Topic: '84 GS "Silver 7"  (Read 2689 times)

Offline elwood

'84 GS "Silver 7"
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:52:46 PM »
I promised to chronicle this, so I'll start at the beginning . . .

My parents live in CT, and they moved to a new home about 15 years ago.  Across the street in the neighbor's yard was a silver '84 GS.  It was sitting on an asphalt pad beneath oak trees. 

I would visit them a couple of times each year, and the car was always there.  I asked my father if the owner ever drove it -- "I don't think so" was the reply.

Time passed, and last fall (2013), I rang the doorbell, confirmed to the homeowner that I wasn't selling anything, and asked him about the car.  Turns out he parked the car when he had kids, drove it less and less, then just stopped driving it.  It hadn't moved from that pad in 20 years.   I explained that I was into RX-7s, and he was immediately interested in having me give the car a better life.

I eventually paid him $400 and went to pick it up with a friend two months ago.  The picture shows the Silver 7 on the trailer with my friend in the truck just after dragging it out of the yard.  All the tires were flat and cracked to the point of cord showing (including the spare).  Despite all that, Fix-A-Flat managed to inflate them -- hadn't used it before; that stuff's awesome!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: '84 GS "Silver 7"
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 08:15:10 PM »
looks like a great find.  so so pretty!!!!
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »
She looks pretty, in my opinion, that color looks the best on 1st gens. I can't believe that fix-a-flat actually worked for that, I'll remember that!
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline elwood

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »
20 years of closed windows leads to a very "special" interior odor.  Overall, the interior was in very good condition, but a few small animals had made it their home.  There were pieces of acorns everywhere, and little oblong brown things, that I'm guessing were chipmunk droppings.  Fortunately, all the electrical functions seem to work, so it doesn't look like they chewed any wiring.

After we vacuumed it out, it didn't look so bad.  At first, I didn't like the color.  But you don't see it every day, and now it reminds me of the '80s.  I'm old enough to have good memories of that decade.  I'll need to do something for a stereo head unit.  The owner's son damaged the original stack while trying to upgrade to an aftermarket piece.  I like the OEM look of the silver stack, but I'd also like to have the ability to play MP3s.

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
I am a sucker for 80s red interior's sooo good.

Offline elwood

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
Those chipmunks were extremely busy.  They made a nest out of the cowl plenum.  It was so packed with cotton batting and acorns that the wipers would barely move.  I opened it up, pulled the wiper rack out, and removed a bucket full of debris.  Now the wipers work.

The engine bay was in bad shape.  The chipmunks made a nest inside the air cleaner too, but the previous owner had installed a K & N filter, and the wire mesh must have stopped them.  Everything else was covered in a hazy coat of tar (the car was heavily undercoated) and mud. 

I barred the engine over, and it turned freely, so I replaced the fluids (including the gas) and it started!  It idled so smoothly, I had to check the tach to make sure it was running.  Incredible.  There was something wrong with the throttle linkage that prevented me from revving the engine, but I declared victory and called it a day.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 07:48:09 AM »
Sounds like some great progress and luck with the car.  Keep it up.  I hope you had enough eviction notices to give out to all of those squirrels.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline elwood

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 06:51:32 PM »
Among my planned changes to the car were:
- Aftermarket carb / intake
- FC water pump housing
- FC oil cooler and filter pedestal (instead of beehive)
- Aluminum radiator w/electric fan

I managed to score an old Rotary Engineering Weber 36DCD setup.  I had one of these on a 4-port 13B many years ago, and I liked it back then, so I decided to do it again.

I got the FC parts from friends here on the forum, and managed to mount them.

The rad is on the way, so we're moving ahead . . .

Offline elwood

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 06:05:29 AM »
I got an eBay rad and a Spal fan.  Just finished making brackets and mounting the fan to the rad.  I installed a fan switch in the back of the water pump.  I have a standard 180 deg thermostat, and the switch is calibrated for 195 deg "on" and 185 deg "off".  I run this same basic setup on my other car, and it works well.

Offline elwood

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 09:38:40 AM »
I started working on a carb hat.  The original setup had individual K & N air cleaners, but when I received the carb setup, they were badly damaged.  The filter elements aren't very tall, so there isn't much space between the air horns (2") and the top plate (2-3/4"), which I figure can't be good for air flow.  So I decided to make a carb hat and plumb it to a conical air filter mounted in front of the radiator.  These are pics of my cardboard mockup.  There will be an inlet on the side so I can run duct hose down to the filter.  This one is 4" tall so there shouldn't be any flow restriction.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
I like the carb hat.  Definitly cant wait to see some pics of the finished project. 
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 08:42:11 AM »
Haven't heard any updates on this, how's the car?
1993 VR R1

Offline elwood

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »
It's good to know somebody cares  :)  I finished the engine / bay, exhaust, and rear axle. 

Engine / Bay:  Installed a lightweight steel flywheel and new clutch assy.  Upgraded to an FD alternator and relocated it to the driver's side.  Went with a 5-rib pulley system from a Cosmo engine.  Wired up the electric fan, including a thermostatic switch in the water pump housing.

Exhaust:  I went with a Racing Beat single pipe system, because I want it to be quiet.  I welded in a crankcase extractor . . . mostly because I want to experiment with it.

Rear Axle:  It's a GSL-SE rear housing, so I get the 4 on 114.3mm bolt pattern, and vented rear discs.  The original brake lines were rusty and damaged, so I made new SS lines and braided SS hoses.  I kept the original ring and pinion, but I installed a Miata Torsen diff.  I have a Toyota Supra Torsen on my other RX-7, and I like it a lot.

Big things remaining:
- Fuel pump (I'm using a Bosch FP, which requires new mounting)
- Battery (mount behind the passenger seat in the storage bin)
- Springs (ordered lowering springs a month ago; still waiting . . . )

Hoping to get this thing on the road before snow falls.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 07:50:05 PM »
Great to see your updattes to it.  Cant wait to see it in person
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 07:29:55 AM »
Glad to see it almost done! There were a few first gens this year at the dream cruise, was hoping to see you out there. Let us know when you get her running!
1993 VR R1