Generation Specific > 1st Generation Build thread

'84 GS "Silver 7"

<< < (2/5) > >>

elwood:
Those chipmunks were extremely busy.  They made a nest out of the cowl plenum.  It was so packed with cotton batting and acorns that the wipers would barely move.  I opened it up, pulled the wiper rack out, and removed a bucket full of debris.  Now the wipers work.

The engine bay was in bad shape.  The chipmunks made a nest inside the air cleaner too, but the previous owner had installed a K & N filter, and the wire mesh must have stopped them.  Everything else was covered in a hazy coat of tar (the car was heavily undercoated) and mud. 

I barred the engine over, and it turned freely, so I replaced the fluids (including the gas) and it started!  It idled so smoothly, I had to check the tach to make sure it was running.  Incredible.  There was something wrong with the throttle linkage that prevented me from revving the engine, but I declared victory and called it a day.

~Groll69~:
Sounds like some great progress and luck with the car.  Keep it up.  I hope you had enough eviction notices to give out to all of those squirrels.

elwood:
Among my planned changes to the car were:
- Aftermarket carb / intake
- FC water pump housing
- FC oil cooler and filter pedestal (instead of beehive)
- Aluminum radiator w/electric fan

I managed to score an old Rotary Engineering Weber 36DCD setup.  I had one of these on a 4-port 13B many years ago, and I liked it back then, so I decided to do it again.

I got the FC parts from friends here on the forum, and managed to mount them.

The rad is on the way, so we're moving ahead . . .

elwood:
I got an eBay rad and a Spal fan.  Just finished making brackets and mounting the fan to the rad.  I installed a fan switch in the back of the water pump.  I have a standard 180 deg thermostat, and the switch is calibrated for 195 deg "on" and 185 deg "off".  I run this same basic setup on my other car, and it works well.

elwood:
I started working on a carb hat.  The original setup had individual K & N air cleaners, but when I received the carb setup, they were badly damaged.  The filter elements aren't very tall, so there isn't much space between the air horns (2") and the top plate (2-3/4"), which I figure can't be good for air flow.  So I decided to make a carb hat and plumb it to a conical air filter mounted in front of the radiator.  These are pics of my cardboard mockup.  There will be an inlet on the side so I can run duct hose down to the filter.  This one is 4" tall so there shouldn't be any flow restriction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version