Author Topic: 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 1.8 V-6  (Read 3950 times)

Offline murz

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 1.8 V-6
« on: August 31, 2015, 07:11:41 PM »
Figured I'd create a post, to help motivate myself to work on it.

I've had this wonderful car since 2008 when I bought it off of a family friend (or was it 2007? I don't even remember), actually I had my mom buy it for me with my money, because the owner wouldn't sell it to me as it was "too fast" for a young kid like myself at the time ( no air bags either... ). Well, it was the first car I bought with my actual saved up money, which was about all of it at the time.

I knew how to drive stick already, as I had an old 72 Volkswagen Beetle that I learned on. What a difference it was though compared to the Mx3! It was a whole new experience! I had to quickly learn how to drive it, as I was working, and just got a job about 25 miles away. I learned quick!

This car is pretty cool, it has one of the tinest, if not the tinest V6's made in a production car. It redlines at 7k, and fuel cuts at 7.5k? I believe it only makes around 140bhp (Somewhere around there), but it's plenty for how light it is. I've seen people claim it does 0-60 in 8 seconds, but I can do 6 seconds it seems. It's FWD, so it's a great daily driver car, which I've used through plenty of winters. It's got a very unique sound, being such a small V-6. A lot of parts are similar to the RX7 as well, which is nice, haha.

I've replaced a BUNCH on this car, and it's driving me insane. Oh the engine has about 25k miles on it, or so. Anyways, this car has taken me across country several times, also averaging 35+ MPG.

Anyways, here are the pictures, I'm doing this so I can help motivate myself to work on it for winter.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Stock Wheels when I first got her. Still have them.

Auto-seat belts that everyone loves.

171k on the clock.

Dirty.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:05:10 AM by murz »
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

Re: Mazda MX-3 GS 1.8 V-6
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:17:37 PM »
Right now she's under repair, the hard brake lines went out on her, slowly replacing them. She's on jack-stands currently. The rear calipers need replacing, as well as all of the rear hardlines, they rotted out, while driving... so I'm finally getting to fixing them, so I don't have to take Summer (the 'vert) through another winter.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:25:13 AM »
Let me know if you need a hand.  i will help you get the lines in.  I know its a pain how they routed the lines, but we can get her back on the road for the winter.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:24:53 AM »
That would be excellent! Might have to come up with some creative solutions.
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

Re: 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS 1.8 V-6
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 07:59:50 AM »
Last night I finished removing all the old hard lines, wasn't too difficult, as the lines were so brittle they just snapped off... and probably gave me tetanus as well. Oh well. I'll probably try to take some pictures, but the the issue isn't exactly routing the lines, it's getting through up into the engine bay. It's recommended that the engine be removed for this. Because the lines meet at a proportioning valve behind the engine just above the exhaust, and the lines are sewn through the Steering rack, fuel lines, frame, and everything that's in between. It's messy! They were also clipped on twice in unviewable locations on the firewall. It's the tightest engine bay I've seen.

The proportioning valve also converts the lines into a different kind of brake line, which means I can't by-pass that and go directly to the master, that would make it easier if I could.

I probably should have just pulled the engine, oh well. I've said that a few times now.

Just waiting on new calipers to arrive, hopefully today. Will begin TRYING to connect the lines ( I have multiple lines with unions, so installing and future replacment will be sooo much easier.)
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 08:16:59 AM »

1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »
Shouldnt be hard to get back together.  a definate pain yes.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 08:14:11 PM »
Wow, this thread sure helped motivate me get this thing done! Anyways, got the brake lines 95% complete, just need to connect the rear right brake. New calipers are on, and the E-brake actually works... (it's never worked before) All I have left is to connect one line, and bleed the brakes, and she's good.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 08:27:58 PM »
awesome, congrats Murz.  it will be just intime too to begin using again as a daily driver.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline pjr

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »

At the time, it was the smallest V-6 ever put into production.  Cool car! 

Offline murz

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 07:34:50 AM »
Thank you! All i have left is bleeding the brakes, which is nothing.

It's got a unique engine sound too, i have a really restrictive muffler on it now, so it's extremely quiet, but when my exhaust snapped in half a while back, it had the coolest sound! I wonder what straight pipes and headers would sound like. It makes a good daily driver, so no thanks haha.

It's always tempting to drop in a 2.5l klze v6, that's 200bhp in a sub 2500lb car. But no need yet, with two rx7s haha.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »
one project at a time.  way to easy to add lots of projects that go no where
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 07:50:13 AM »
So, I finally finished everything on this car, she's running like she did before and stops as well. I'm still not sure if I want to sell her, or hold on to her, I guess i'll wait and see if I come across the right person.

1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 08:29:18 AM »
After 10 years of ownership, I've passed the mantle of ownership to Rich last night. I'll miss this car, it's served me well and has been extremely reliable and a blast to drive. 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:33:42 AM by murz »
1993 VR R1