Generation Specific > Other Car Projects (Non-Rotary)

Ice Racing Toy

(1/2) > >>

~Groll69~:
As many of you know, I picked up a 1995 Honda Civic DX to use specifically for Ice Racing.  I will be using this car for the MIRA Ice Racing that will take place at Chipewa Lake.  I will post pictures of it as it gets prepped for the race season.

~Groll69~:
Tuesday night I began prepping the Honda Civic for ice racing this weekend.  As i had the spoiler off and mounted the light to it, I had the rear indow hatch propped open.  I walked to the front of the car and as i looked for a tool on my work bench, i heard the window Pop (Shatter) followed by the sound of millions of peices of glass hitting the car and the floor of my garage.  Needless to say it forced me to stay home the next day and search out a new rear window, including visiting a junkyard.  With the help of my friend Neal, we were able to find one in detroit.  We went and picked that up and installed it the same day.  We also managed to install everything else required for Ice Racing to.  Now I am ready to hit the Ice and Race.  I am glad the long day of work we put in on the car was very successful.  On a side note, that night I finally removed my useless garage door, so my garage now feels mildly larger.

~Groll69~:
Update on the Ice Racer (Elsa)  I had the four studs break off of the front passenger side wheel while i was in livonia.  I had it towed home by Rush Towing.  They did a great job and even helped me push it into my garage.  While i await for the new/used rim, i chose to give it a complete brake job.  This includes new master cylinder, cross slotted,drilled front rotors and pads.  New drums with complete hardware and pads. 

While removing the rear drum hardware, the short hard line connecting to it broke off.  So instead of buying the short metal line, i chose to exted the rubber line all the way to the drum.  I spent a week finding the right adapter and metric line to do so and have them on order now.  Hopefully i will see them arrive soon.  I have already completed the replacement of the studs and front rotors and pads.  I still have to rebuild the rear brakes and i am not looking forward to that effort.   Once done, i should have some really great braking power.

~Groll69~:
I have the drum brakes assembled minus the drum while i still await parts for the rear brake line.

I received the rubber line i ordered and now i need to order a couple more adapters to get it to connect properly to the existing hard line.  The good thing is I was able to re-order 2 matching adapters that i already had purchase, which was difficult enough to find, becuase the conected with the hose properly.  I am hoping to have them in by the end of this week so i can get the project wrapped up.  I finally broke down and bought a non matching steel rim of the same size, since i could not find a match anywhere i looked.

Right now i am trying to get the rear guard bent back out all around so that the drum can rotate freely when tightend into place.  For some reason the rear guard/mount on both sides decided to curve out interfering with the Drum.  (Did I say i hate drum brakes)

toplessFC3Sman:
Oh, drum brakes are such a pain in the ass.  Helen's Celica has them, and my mom's Vibe has them for parking brakes, which I replaced a week & a half ago. It took 3 tries to get them all assembled & adjusted correctly, and that's after the hour and a half pounding on the brake drum/disk (regular brakes are disks, parking brakes are drums inside the hat of the disk) to get it off the car.  Not my favorite job, but far better than body work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version