Author Topic: 1991 Dark Blue Convertible  (Read 2644 times)

Offline murz

1991 Dark Blue Convertible
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:18:24 AM »
So, I figure it's about time I make a thread for my 1991 Mazda Rx-7 Dark Blue Convertible that's called "Summer". The intro will be a bit lengthy...

This past summer, I had received a call during class, going on break I checked the voicemail, unexpectantly it was about selling me a 1991 Rx-7 Convertible. I had no idea what this was about, i never called anyone about buying their car, another Rx-7 even! Of course I was more than interested in having another rotary powered sports car, a convertible too! I've never driven in a convertible before besides a miata a long time ago. I found out that my mom, who is an insurance agent, had spoken with one of her clients the day before who was trying to sell his Rx-7 that his wife wanted him to get rid of. Well, she recommended my name, and of course snuck in there that I was an Active Duty Marine as well.

Over the next few days I went to go take a look at her, she had just a few miles over 100k, and hasn't been ran in 5 years. I wasn't quite sure what I was about to get myself into, but I had all the spare time in the world, as I was in school full time without a job then. Here she is when I first saw her.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

She was completely stock! Had some rust on the fenders pretty bad as well as underbody rust as well. But overall, she wasn't too bad, the convertible top had a tear in the drivers side as well. I decided I'd go ahead and buy her, the gentleman I bought her from offered me $1,000 if I was able to get her to start. Of course, I accepted. She was near out of gas, and needed a battery. I put some gas in her, checked all the fluids, topped them off accordingly, tightened some things down, added some oil, pulled the spark plugs, replaced and threw on new spark plug wires as well. Threw on a new battery, primed the fuel system, and went to start her. She started right up, I was surprised she started. She didn't want to idle at all!! After holding down the gas for a while, she idled at a lumpy 700 RPMs.

I bought her, and THEN realized the rear brakes were seized and the brake lines were rotted out. I had to get her towed home (about 5 miles). The rear wheels would not move! So we had to slide it onto the tow truck, and then slide her off, into my drive way.

And there she sat until I fixed the brakes and did some more replacing/refreshing up over the course of a week.

1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

Re: 1991 Dark Blue Convertible
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »
After fixing the brakes and getting her to idle better, she became my daily driver for the summer/Fall...

Took her to the Woodward Dream cruise Michigan Rotary Club event...

Took her out to Holland Michigan for the Michigan Rotary Club annual camping trip/cruise...

Here she sits next to her big Sis, Silver!

So, as I was about to switch her to storage and pull out the Daily driver Mazda Mx-3 for winter usage... The brakes failed on the Mx-3, and being the kind of guy to do everything myself (just about at least) I figured it was too cold to do the lines on the cold cement outside and would rather wait til Spring time (I also have back issues). So, it was time to buy a winter beater so I could put Summer away. Well... that didn't happen. I was stuck driving her throughout the entire winter... I did not want this, but I had to, I also landed a decent job in my field at the time too, continuing to go to school full time. I was busy!

I also never had so much fun in the snow before! You also can't really see the rust on the fender, but it's there, just covered up with near matching colored duct tape.

1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »
So, for getting me through the Winter, and keeping my happy. I decided I'd treat her nicely, and buy her a nice and new full Racing Beat Exhaust, with the convertible downpipe of course. The original exhaust was getting quite rusty, and was leaking quite a lot anyways. One of the mufflers even fell off!

And this is where the story of the Exhaust swap from Hell begins...

Anyways, brought her over to Groll69's place to work on her there and help him with the ball joints on his Rx-7.

Well... things went wrong...

1. The studs on the original Exhaust manifold snapped. I had to call it a day and go home and bring my spare S5 exhaust manifold with non-rusted studs.

2. Had to take off the 5th and 6th port actuators to even get to the manifold, by the way, these were frozen shut, they have never moved since I had the car.

3. Finally got the exhaust on (was quite easy besides the manifold part), and went to start her up. She started fine, but wouldn't idle... Had to come back another day.

4. Couldn't find any vacuum leaks visually. So we took off the upper intake and TB, to get a better visual. Found the vacuum leak! one of the vacuum lines was completly severed! Decided while I was at it, to replace just about all the lines with some high temp silicon lines I had laying around. Had to come back another day.

5. Since the lower intake's actuators were frozen shut, I decided I'd replace this as well with an entire Lower-upper-TB that I had laying around that was cleaned up nicely and had functioning actuators.

6. Replacing the lower intake... OMP line had snapped right off by looking at it the wrong way. I was quite worried with this, and decided I'd think on it over night. Had to come back yet another day.

7. Brought over my spare S-5 OMP that was in fine working condition and had no snapped lines. Of course one of the lines snapped... Had to take nearly everything off of the car except just about the radiator and alternator to get to this. Had the old OMP off, and replaced the line on the good OMP and threw her back on there with the new Lower intake as well. Finished replacing most vacuum lines, and threw back on the Upper intake. Oh! Also replaced the lower injectors with freshly serviced ones I had laying around.

8. Came back yet another day to finish the installation of just about everything else. Replaced the upper injectors with fresh new ones as well ( I didn't have any extra O-rings for them at the time though... so I reused the old ones). Finally got everything back on, hooked up, wired, and plugged in. Added some pre-mix into the fuel JUST INCASE, then primed the fuel system.

9. Finally went to start her up and check for leaks. She took a bit to get started, as if the fuel pump wasn't working, de-flooded her just incase, finally got her started. She idled at 4k... never returned down below that speed. Also we noticed a lot of "smoke" coming from the "exhaust". Probably just an exhaust leak. Anyways, we realized the cruise control cable was on too tight. Took that off, and she idled perfectly!

10. Drove her home that night, figured the EXTREMELY STRONG smell of fuel was just the exhaust leak, that I was planning on fixing "one of these days". She did drive quite nice though (I took the long way home even)!

11. Drove her to class the next day and realized I smelt like a wet leaky gas tank at all times. I was getting worried now...

12. Next morning I had the day off, figured I'd look at her. At idle, very thick clouds of white "smoke" was venting throughout every way possible, I was confused now, as this was quite unusual for an exhaust leak. Well, the engine bay was covered in a clear liquid, what i thought was condensation actually turned out to be raw fuel... Yes, the upper fuel rail was somehow by-passing the injectors and spraying high pressure raw fuel everywhere! When I saw this, I immediately ran and turned the car off and hid in my room for about an hour thinking WTF! How did I not notice this? Is it safe to come outside? How am i alive? How stupid am I for not noticing this!!?

THEN THIS HAPPENED!
Just kidding, but this image was posted on my facebook by a friend a week prior and had scared a lot of my friends and had a lot of people worried. Thank you Rotary God that this didn't happen.

13. Anyways, I had spare O-rings laying around, I quickly brought all the fans I had out of storage and had them drying the car off, as I quickly replaced the O-rings. The original O rings were torn to shreds already! Note: They look fined even being used when I put them back in. Let the car dry off for a few hours, used some water and a ton of rags and fans.

14. Tested the car a few hours later for any more leaks. None! Looks like the issue was fixed, took her for a quick spin up to Five guys and back, no fuel smell! No smoke!

15. Been driving her for a few days now, everything is great! She runs better, idles smoother (no lumps), upper RPMS actually HAVE POWER now, feels much faster, sounds wayyyy better, She's actually quieter at idle, but much louder at WOT. Also MPG seems to be significantly improved, duh!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:18:04 AM by murz »
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
And here is my outlook/plans for Summer.

So, I wanted to keep this car 100% stock, but the racing beat in my opinion is not only an upgrade but reliability upkeep as well. I want to completely clean all engine bay components, and make them look brand new eventually. The rust is definitely a concern, I plan to get new fenders and have them re-painted. The convertible top looks great and works well too, no leaks, but that tear in the driver's side is a concern and looks terrible! I either need to patch it up, or just get the replacement top. A/C needs to be fixed, I'm not sure if it just needs an R12 re-charge or what, but I want to fix it.

So, that's really about it for now. The moral of the story though? Have spare parts, lots of them!
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 06:08:39 AM »
I am glad you found the issue.  Those o-rings must have detriorated really fast after you left my place with it.  That exhuast looks great.  I need to get that setup on my car eventually. 
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 07:57:16 PM »
I felt sick for a minute reading this.  I'm not sure I ever mentioned this to you but my TII swapped 86 caught fire for that exact reason.  I hastily installed the fuel rail and messed up an O-ring.  Luckily I decided to start carrying a fire extinguisher that night.  I drove it about 10 miles on the highway, when I got off I noticed some smoke. When I stopped and opened the hood I saw flames squirting out of the injector every time it pulsed.  Luckily I had the fire extinguisher or else it would have been a different story.  In the end I got it towed home and it had just melted some vacuum lines and OMP lines.

Nice choice on the exhaust too.  It is my favorite sounding exhaust for a rotary, it really livens up in the high RPMs.

Are you using the correct rubber hangers in the rear?  It appears to be hanging kind of low...
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »
Yeah I was very lucky I didn't meet the same fate, or worse. Re-using O-rings or gaskets is something I don't like to do, but in the situation I was in forced me to use what I had, mind you, this was my daily driver at the time. I guess I've learned from this though, glad I had some O-rings back home.

Thank you, I love the sound! It's got such a nice deep tone, which makes it seem quieter, but a nice roar at WOT. Mind you, she's no race car, but a very pleasant car to drive in!

You're right, I do need to get some new exhaust hangers, mainly the back left muffler.

Body work is up next on the agenda! When I get to it...
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 01:00:50 PM »
So, I landed a new job where I actually enjoy working, that's a good thing as it's a first. Having a much longer drive, and with winter around the corner, I decided it would be best if I stored the 'Vert and bought something more practical.

Here's my new office view!

I ended up buying a 2015 Sonic RS, brand new, the thought was to buy something that I would enjoy driving, with decent gas mileage, reliability, passenger room, storage room, and easily modifiable in the future.

This was back in October when I purchased her, I've put nearly 3000 miles on her already, and I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Also, I finally fixed up my MX-3 as well, I'm planning on selling her soon. I now have Four running cars... which includes two running RX-7s, this is a first. As you can see space is getting a bit limited, which is why I decided to store the Vert in the garage.

I know I'm going to really miss driving her, as I already do, as fun as the Sonic is, you just can't beat the RX-7!
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 06:02:18 PM »
Congrats on the job! It's really satisfying working somewhere that you enjoy - definitely makes life a lot easier.

Offline murz

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 06:40:32 AM »
Thanks!  Unfortunately there are no "car guys" here though. If i wasn't in school still, i'd have so much car time!
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 07:38:02 AM »
Stored the 'vert for the winter, and... last week I finally awoke her from her slumber. She started right up with a charged battery.
I fear the pilot bearing is starting to go, on start-up in the mornings you can hear it whine for about 5 seconds pretty badly. The shifter bushings will need to be replaced soon as well.

Besides she's still a blast to drive!

1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »
Fixed my passenger tail light with some gorilla glue, C-clamp, and a plank of wood. Now, I have to worry about my pilot bearing, which is making some wonderful noises time to time.

1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 10:46:05 AM »
It's finally time to address this car's annoying pilot bearing noises. Hopefully within the next few weeks I can address this, and address the non-power steering issue and maybe get around to fixing some of the body.
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 11:27:28 AM »
Yea, take care of the pilot bearing - I was just talking to Will about the time mine failed in Savannah. It was dead-center in the middle of a trip from NJ back here to MI, and essentially locked the eccentric shaft and trans input shaft so that you couldn't stop the car without stalling the engine. That made for an amusing drive the rest of the way home, and a very frustrating repair experience afterwards (more due to the weather and apartment complex, not the difficulty of the job)

Offline murz

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 12:36:25 PM »
Wow, that's one hell of a trip! So every time you started the car you'd have to launch it? Perfect rev matching to change gears? That's quite the drive to have that occur. Was there any damage at all with the input shaft or E-shaft?
1993 VR R1