Author Topic: The rest of the fleet...  (Read 13156 times)

Offline toplessFC3Sman

Re: The rest of the fleet...
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2018, 10:40:26 AM »

Update on fixing the various issues that popped up - on the drive to the event, I noticed that the car was misfiring badly between about 2500 & 4000 RPM at WOT. It hadn't been doing that the previous time I drove it, and I didn't have any spare coils with me at the track. No CELs either, not even the generic misfire code. Re-gapping the plugs to 0.8mm didn't seem to make a difference, and when I went to re-flash from BSR stage 1 back to stock to see if that helped, the BSR tuner gave me an EEPROM error. Basically, it meant that I was just shifting much more often than I normally would to keep the engine speed over 4000 RPM.

Since last weekend, I've been doing the coil dance before each drive to or from work - I have 2 unused coils and was moving them around to try to find the bad coil or two with no change whatsoever. The idle was hunting slightly too, so I was also looking for a vacuum leak. Using the Torque app and a bluetooth OBD-II adapter, I could see that the fuel trim was high when idling, and that as boost built and the car went into open-loop, the O2 sensors both went very lean before misfiring... too much airflow under boost maybe? Since it built boost just fine (maybe even slightly quicker than I was used to), even when misfiring, I was thinking it may be a vacuum leak in the loop for the wastegate actuator that was preventing it from opening as intended and dialing back the boost slightly. However, everything there worked just fine when I hooked it up to the tire compressor - the wastegate moved freely, and when I jumpered the solenoid to 12V with the compressor hooked up it worked properly. Same for the BOV, crankcase vent, brake booster etc - all the lines were intact and not leaking.

Then, there it was staring me in the face...

I must have accidentally pulled the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator off when changing the oil filter, so the fuel pressure was not increasing with boost and when in open-loop mode, the engine was going way too lean since the ECU wasn't compensating. At high boost when the difference would be greatest, the engine was so lean that the flame speed was seriously reduced and only a small part of the fuel was burning in the engine, with the rest burning in the exhaust, further spooling the turbo and making the problem worse. This would explain the lack of a CEL too - there was still burned mixture at the plug gap so the ionization module detected combustion, even if it was very slow combustion.

All this combustion in the exhaust did manage to melt a hole in the exhaust right before the rear muffler, where I had to repair the pipe with an autozone-special exhaust coupler and clamps due to rust. Plugging that vacuum line back in fixed everything, even with the old coils back on the engine. I'm very glad I didn't destroy the turbo, burn a valve or melt a piston!

Offline murz

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2018, 12:46:51 PM »
Glad it was nothing serious!
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Looks like I was generally doing about 1:30s, dipping occasionally into the 1:29s. I still need to really nail the corner entry into 1 and then into the long sweeping double-apex left-hander around the swamp onto the front straight

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 07:14:48 AM »
There's been a bit of work to the rest of the fleet - mostly smaller tasks like replacing a torn CV boot on the Mazda5 and a lower control arm on the Saab. I think I need to do the LCA again though, since the suspension feels very odd and makes a bad buzzing/vibrating noise on harder turns with that corner on the outside, and a new wheel bearing didn't make a difference.

Anyhow, the biggest of the projects was rebuilding a big section of the Mazda5's exhaust between the catalyst and the exhaust - there were numerous holes, basically whereever an exhaust hanger, support bracket or something else was welded to the pipe, it had rusted through and broken. There were two big sections - an S-bend after the cat that snakes down the central tunnel, then goes around the gas tank, underbody plastics, and parking brake cable to the driver's side. The section was about a foot and a half later, between the rear subframe and the unibody where access and available space is tight. Since I don't have a welder, this was all assembled with exhaust clamps and pre-formed sections, and a bit of creative cutting and re-shaping to make the roughly 45 degree section. The good thing about the exhaust clamps is that they also give a good attachment point to add an exhaust hanger or a stiffening bracket, which I tried to take full advantage of.

Here is the first S-bend section after a lot of cutting, fitting and massaging the pipes. It needed those angles to keep a decent clearance to the gas tank and everything else, so there was a bit of trial and error in getting things quite right. Then, there is some steel angle-iron used to make the stiffening brackets so that the joints hopefully don't flex and loosen up too much over time. The way the muffler hangs, it puts a bit of a twisting force on the exhaust too, which doesn't help things.

The section running over the rear subframe was mostly just a straight pipe, but it needed a hanger in the middle which was created with an extra u-clamp bracket, some square-section steel sign post, and a bolt. It can sort-of be seen below the original section of exhaust in the foreground in the image below, attached to the u-bolt that is facing the opposite way from the rest.

A better view of a similar hanger used at the end of the S-bend is shown here.

Ugh... rusty, rusty van

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2018, 08:00:30 AM »
Well, the state of the fleet is in a little bit of disarray as I try to figure out what will best work for Paul, the three dogs & I as a second car, now that Helen is gone. I know that Annalie, my Saab sedan, won't be big enough since the dogs can't exactly go in the trunk, and fitting baby things like the car seat, stroller, etc for Paul will make it very tight. However, there was a manual '09 Saab 9-3 wagon on CL a few weeks back that had lower miles than my '06, and looked like it was in good shape for a good price. I ended up buying it and taking a few days to swap over most of the recent brake and suspension upgrades from my sedan, which also gave me a chance to make sure everything on the wagon was ready for the winter too. Hopefully, this car will be big enough for all of us, and allows me to still get use out of the various performance parts, second wheels with snow tires, and have something thats a bit quicker and more suited to the occasional HPDE or ice racing than the Mazda5.

I think I'll call her Nina, after the previous owner who took very good care of her.

Annalie is now for sale - discounted price of $2500 for you guys.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As for Bessie, the rusty-van... I need to decide what to do with her still. If Nina works out, she'll be for sale too, but I need to wait and see whether the road trip back out to NJ over Christmas proves that Nina will be large enough or not. She probably only has a few more salty winters in her before rust is too bad, and needs a new set of winter tires, plus she is a lot louder and less refined on the highway where I do most of my driving. Helen really liked her though, and she is still fun to drive with lots of life left in the powertrain & suspension. Either way, not for sale yet, but we'll see.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »
Those are sharp looking cars.  Funny, my ice racer is named Nina after a friend from college. 
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2018, 08:24:23 AM »
Glad you have been getting things together since everything happened.  If you need a hand on anything, just let us know.  We are willing to come over and help you.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2018, 03:13:34 AM »
Thanks I appreciate the offer :-)

The Saab sedan Annalie sold a couple of weekends ago, $3000, so I'm happy with that. Bessie (Mazda5 van) is going to be hanging out until at least January when I'll be sure that Nina (Saab wagon) is big enough for a trip back to visit family with Paul & the dogs. Otherwise, its just been small things here & there - getting Nina programmed so that the horn doesn't honk when locking/unlocking, disabling the TPMS system & automatic headlights, etc. She drives nicely and has been holding up well so far.

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2021, 11:56:19 AM »
Well... A bit has happened since the last time I put anything in this thread! Vera the RX-8 has been added to the family, we've got Gina's Subaru outback (A boy named Sue), and Nina the Saab Wagon was sold about 2 weeks ago for $4500, so $700 more than I paid back in 2018 although the used market is stronger now than then, plus she got a lot of maintenance in that time. Finally, last weekend I flew out to CT to pick up a 2012 Mazda5 minivan, with manual trans of course!

She has 108k miles, feels like everything is in good shape, minimal rust(!!!), and should be just what my growing family needs. The 2012s have a much-needed 6th gear for the highway in the manual trans, and more sound deadening, so the 700 mile trip back from CT to MI was pretty comfortable. I'm ordering a trailer hitch, roof racks etc for road trip duty, and will need a new set of wheels for summer tires (the 16" OEM ones are in decent shape, but will need new tires soon so they'll be the winter wheels). However, for the most part she'll be staying stock. Still need to decide on a name for her...

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2021, 05:58:23 AM »
great buy.  didnt know a mini van existed in a manual anymore.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2021, 10:54:36 AM »
Well, Kaylee hasn't been quite as trouble-free as I thought... There has been a persistent oil smell in the cabin since I got home, and finding the source of that sent me down the rabbit-hole. On the drive home I didn't notice it at all, but I had spent an hour in the car with my mask on driving it from the airport with the salesman so I may have acclimated without noticing. Then of course, I picked up the old transmission, driveshaft, and rear end from the RX-7 to bring out to MI, so any oil smell was easily dismissed as coming from them.

However, that smell lingered for at least a month, and got me worried about something else burning oil. I couldn't find any signs of external leaks hitting the exhaust or manifold from the engine, trans, driveaxle boots etc, but there did seem to be very strong air pulsations out of the oil cap - more than enough to pop the cap off if it was sitting loosely on the fill hole. The pulsations seemed to line up with the frequency of one cylinder as well. Typically, this is due to high blow-by and possibly a failed PCV. A cold compression test gave about 140 - 145 psi across the board, so there weren't any stand-out cylinders - all were low. Hot compression was about 150-155, so a bit better, but the range for this engine is 134 - 192 psi so I'm still at the low end. Even more telling is that hot compression with a bit of oil poured into the cylinders to help the rings seal was around 180 psi. Well... crap. Not terrible, still within specs, but not great either.

Anyway, to try to get to the bottom of things, I picked up a cheap bore-scope that's basically a tiny camera & lights that plug into your phone for about $25. The quality so far is about as good as other bore-scopes that I've used, and the very stiff cable allows some ability to point it in a certain direction. Anyway, for the most part the bores looked good, with notable cross-hatching on all of them. The most wear that I could see was on the thrust-side of Cyl 3, where you can see a number of vertical lines, but none of them appeared very deep - I couldn't see any shadows but again it's hard to tell. In this picture, the piston top has some MMO on it since I had been soaking the engine for about a week to see if I could free up any stuck rings.

I also used some PB-blaster to soak the rings for a day or so, followed by an oil change to see if that'd help the rings seal any better. Changing the PCV required removing the intake manifold which was a bit of a task, with a few of the bolts requiring blindly feeling around with a combination of extensions through holes in the manifold. It was a four-hour job, with a lot of that from unfamiliarity.

Once I got down to the PCV it appeared to be working fine, and all the hoses and other connections were not blocked. There was a bit of oily residue on the inside of the manifold and ports, but that's expected with EGR and the PCV connected. The intake and cylinders got sea-foamed shortly after reassembly to try to clean things up, and the MAF and throttle were cleaned independently.

All the time she's been driving fine, and I haven't noticed any changes in performance from the driver's seat. I did a bunch of cleaning in the interior (it was already very clean, with the carpets appearing almost new and only a couple minor stains on some of the seats). For a while, you couldn't smell much over the vinegar and lemon smells, but baking soda sprinkled on the seats and left in an open container seems to be absorbing most of the smells. So far, the oil smell seems to have mostly gone away, but I haven't driven Kaylee very far since then or done much highway driving. All the cleaning and soaking of the rings seem to have helped a little - the compression pressure increased another 5 psi or so since the last warm test, so we'll see how things go on that front. Worst-case scenario, new engines for these are $500 - $700, so that'll probably be the way I'd go for minimal down-time instead of rebuilding and reinstalling the current engine.

Otherwise, two of the tires are pretty worn, and one of the ones that still had a bit of tread depth just developed a nice sidewall bubble, so it's time to get a set of 17" summer wheels & tires, with the OEM 16" wheels pulling winter duty. I got a set of 17" x 7" OEM Mazda 6 wheels for $80, and one of them was cracked so a good junkyard replacement was $50, so $130 for the new set. A few cans of paint later, and...

It's a bronze/gunmetal color that should hide dirt and brake dust pretty well. I kind-of wanted to go with a brighter gold, but couldn't find a specific color that I liked. The greens that I've been using for the RX-8 and the Saab before would clash terribly with the red paint, so those were out. The tires that came on the wheels are shot, so new tires are getting installed later this week (and I didn't bother to mask the old ones since they were getting tossed anyway).

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2021, 12:42:44 PM »
the rims turned out well.  glad you got some improvements out of the engine. and it puts you mid way on the compression so that is a bonus.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »
After another week, and the oil smell does not seem to be coming back. Additionally, unscrewing the oil cap and trying to pull it out while the engine is idling shows that there is now a vacuum in the crankcase too, which indicates that the blowby issue has disappeared! The compression pressure seems to be about the same, roughly 155 psi when warm, so I don't know if that's going to improve any further, but the crankcase vacuum is still very encouraging.

Additionally, the "new" used Mazda 6 wheels now have tires and are installed (although Discount Tire really screwed up the fresh paint on them - they handled the painted winter wheels for two other cars fine, but these got really beat up), the brake system is flushed, and I went through the various plastic panels and heat shields to add foam and other sound-deadening material. At this point, Kaylee is feeling like a new car!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2022, 06:28:44 AM »
When swapping the summer wheels back on a few months ago, I noticed that one of the rear shocks was leaking badly and the rest all seemed a bit soft at the very least- it looks like they were all still OEM parts at ~122k miles. Anyway, they all got replaced with Bilstein B4 shocks - slightly stiffer than new OEM but still appropriate for stock spring rates & ride height. They were notably stiffer and more controlled than the worn out shocks that were there before, but still provide a good ride. At the same time, I greased up the bottoms of the front springs and both sides of the rears where there was a little bit of abrasion, slid some fuel injection hose over a coil, and reinstalled into new mounts. This should better protect the ends of the springs and slightly increase the ride height (maybe 1/4" in front, 1/2" in back with two hoses) so that the van is a little more level when loaded up with a cargo carrier hanging off the rear rack.

To avoid messing around with spring compressors when replacing the front struts (those things scare me a bit), I was using a jack under the lower control arm and the knuckle to gradually relieve the spring compression to disassemble it from the worn out strut (with the jack & LCA constraining the bottom end of the strut so it wouldn't fly apart when unscrewing the nut on the shock shaft), and then doing the reverse using the jack to re-compress the spring until the shock shaft pokes through the upper mount and I can get the nut onto it. On some cars (my previous Saab 9-3's for example), this can all be done without removing the driveshafts, but the Mazda5 required the the LCA and knuckle to swing down further, which pulled the inner CV joint apart internally and pulled that joint off of the intermediate shaft (I was working on the passenger side first). My guess is the MZ5 springs are softer but longer than the 9-3's, therefore the uncompressed length is significantly longer. Anyhow, I then had to remove and rebuild the passenger's side axle in addition to the struts. To avoid all this on the driver's side I pre-emptively removed the axle nut to allow it to slide in the hub splines, which worked better.

After doing all of that, the driver's side front wheel bearing got loose (I suspect I may have caused that by allowing the spline to slide in the hub, which could have pushed on the hub and un-seated part of the bearing), but this time the drive axle nut needed to be cut off the drive axle - it had completely seized up (probably contributing, if the threads were messed up then it'd get to torque before being fully tight). Once that was off, I was using one of the on-car wheel bearing pullers that you rent from auto parts stores, but the wheel bearing was so rusted in place that the puller broke one of the caliper mounting ears off of the suspension knuckle!

Cue a couple weeks of waiting for a new knuckle from Mazda since I originally ordered the wrong side (the picture was for the correct side and I was doing it on my phone...oops) and no wreckers had it within 100 miles or so, but when I finally got it everything went back together without a hitch. So, lots of extra work caused by my aversion to spring compressors....