Author Topic: just another s4 artic silver build  (Read 2301 times)

Offline FCwidman

just another s4 artic silver build
« on: July 16, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
 Ive had my 7 for over a year now and have wanted to rebuild a rotary engine for a long time. I almost started my build last winter but my parents sold my winter beater/camaro parts car so I needed so spend all my money on not rotary parts. (now i have a neon  :'( ).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I finally decided to take the first step in doing my first build.Spur of the moment I drove out to Flint and bought an Na s4 engine in the sketchiest neighborhood ive ever been in.
Strapped the engine down in the bed of my truck and its been there for a while now. I dont have an engine hoist or stand so I decided to just tear down the motor in the truck bed haha.
Started tearing it apart and found bird nests, bugs, and even small animal bones. eventually my first noob mistake happened. I couldn't get the E-shaft bolt out and decided to break it down from the rear only later to find out that makes it impossible to get the e-shaft bolt out later, so i put it back togther and still can't get the thing out. I have an army of impact guns coming to see which ones strong enough to break it loose. So for now I've bean cleaning things as much as I can.
my workbench

While I had the rear housing off I noticed it had two big scratches in it, so probably gonna find another housing, hopefully the front is in better condition.

As far as the build goes, I stil havent decided 100% what I'm going to do. Some form of porting will take place, all new seals, gaskets, ect. so im open to ideas. Things probably wont move very fast either, summers almost over and schools fast approaching.  But for now the rear rotor makes for a good center peice in my room

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Re: just another s4 artic silver build
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 07:53:02 PM »
Did you buy that engine from a guy named Jay? 

I say you go all out on the engine, bridgeport that puppy and build like a 250hp NA, that would be cool!

And don't say summer is almost over, we aren't even a month in yet.  You have 2 more months of summer left! ( I know you are saying this with respect to school starting again soon though)
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 05:13:10 AM »
Looks like Jay haha. I did a street port on mine, but after realizing I should have gone all out with it NA I wish I went Bridge port, or found a cosmo 13b. But even a fresh NA 13b will feel less dog than a worn out tired 13b.

Gotta say Arctic Silver is the best color for FCs!

If I did another rebuild, I'd probably bridge port it, use S5 rotors, make sure everything was port matched, i.e. the intake, etc. Perhaps go Individual Throttle bodies and Megasquirt right off the get-go. Things I did right, street port, keeping the aux sleeves functional (Atkins sleeves), using turbo II housings rather than the NA ones (exhaust sleeves) header back exhaust, Lightweight flywheel (love it!), FD internal seals, and there's probably more I forgot. What I did wrong? I rushed through the rebuild, I didn't take the necessary time making sure 100% was in spec, maybe 75%? I should have gone straight to something like Megasquirt right away. But in all honesty, I should have build a turbo set up even if it was a 6 port. That's just my two cents. I had fun with it though! Which is all that matters.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 08:16:04 AM »
Ughhh, Jay. I'm done dealing with him. Not worth the hassle not worth the price. Everything is a struggle and he doesn't even understand if it parts are good or not (for some items)

That is most certainly Jay's place. I hate having to buy parts and having to pull them, I would expect them cheaper if I had to pull them.

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:05:18 AM »
Yeah I got it from Jay, said he knew some of you guys but thought the forum was dead, maybe he'll get back on now. But now that I'm taking it apart and had to pull it I feel like I way over paid, but oh well.

I'm thinking a bridge is gonna happen, just not sure if I should do full or half, and do people bridge the 5th and 6th? I've got pineapple inserts laying around, and I planned on grinding out the exhaust diffuser things in the na housing. and I wanna do ms3 but I'd need some help setting it uive never done wiring harness or computer tuning and itb were something I was considering but they're pretty pricy.

But I guess we'll see what else is out of spec or scrap when I get it apart this weekend

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:54:14 PM »
Kinda funny I sold jay a perfectly good NA keg for I think $200 a few years ago...  Kind of a strange dude, didn't want to compression test it even. Didn't really care, he probably just sold it. Then anytime he has something I need he wants to dollar even if it is a POS. I don't think I'll ever buy anything from him.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 11:03:01 PM »
So far i feel completely scammed, since the housing that was suppsed to be good wasnt, so im scared for the front rotor and housing. Idk if i'd buy from him again unless he had something i really needed. seemed like a really cool guy but he wanted to teach me how to work on cars, like how to properly take a hood off haha had to tell him a few times that I've built motors before.

But didn't get to work on it tonight, and no woodward since I thought it was suppose to rain, but i spent my time working on a buddies evo so not a bad trade up. hopefully ill get the rest torn apart to see how many more things I have to buy.

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 06:43:08 AM »
Well let me check my spares I could have some 6 port parts that are in great shape that will help you out.

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 02:36:52 PM »
More bad news. Motor is completly disassembled and the water jacket is broken on the cente iron and every seal is stuck except one apex seal on the front rotor, only good news is it just looks like carbon and rusty crap build up locking it up.
So now I need a new rear housing and center iron. still havent checked clearences on the rotors so fingers crossed. I got an evo stuck in my garage and I don't like working on my stuff with other people around so probably won't get back to it till next weekend.

And that'd be great if anyone of you guys have some spares laying around I could buy, any thing local is better than paying for shipping.

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 07:14:46 PM »
I got a bunch of misc NA spares that we could probably turn into 1 engine with what you got.

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »
Almost zero progress on the motor since tearing it down  :'(
All usable parts are cleaned and degreased, seals ripped out of iron and finally got the front rotor seal out, thankfully it was just carbon that was holding the seals in.

I did buy a few things for the car, a cheesy ebay front strut bar is on it's way, cost me a whopping $38 but should make the engine bay look "cooler" for the dream cruise.
More importantly I got a deal on the exact set of coilovers I have been wanting, got them used from a pretty cool guy who has an fb fc and fd. Invited him down to the mrc meet on saturday too.
Heres my new Max coils, should be on by thursday just in time for the dream cruise.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login nice and shiney gold

And if anyone has an s4 intermediate iron in good shape and a s4 na rear rotor housing I could buy bring it to the dream cruise, i'm trying to get the rest of the keg together before I leave for school in 3 weeks

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »
I got either an S4 or S5 NA middle iron laying around; let me check. one may have a streetport done to it.

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 09:40:23 PM »
The coilovers got installed before the dream cruise, I love how stiff they are and I loved how low it was until I took the wheels off and saw that I was rubbing frame pretty bad on bumps. so now my tires are pretty worn, but I guess thats the price you pay for being low.
Here's a little before and after
before
After

Here's the aftermath of being too "stancenation"
Car has since then been raised about 3/4" and doesn't rub anymore. I'm looking into buying a dremel to do porting with, anyone have any recommendations for a good one and what bits are good?

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 06:58:57 AM »
I would not port with a dremmel it will take FOREVER. I would be persuaded to do a street port for you though :) I have all of the tools and equipment.

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »
How about a bridge and street port Fidelity  ;D