Author Topic: Hey guys - new member with 1980 SA RX-7  (Read 2632 times)

Offline erickrause

Hey guys - new member with 1980 SA RX-7
« on: August 17, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
Hey, everyone.  My name is Eric and I'm from Ferndale, MI.  I met up with the MRC group for the first time at the Dream Cruise and joined the forum.  It was really nice to meet everyone who attended.  For those that I wasn't able to meet, I just wanted to say, "Hi!". 

I've got a 1980 SA RX7 that has virtually no modifications done to it; it's basically stock.  I bought it back in February and have been working on making it reliable, as it came with a fairly substantial coolant leak from the intake gasket.  I replaced the intake gasket/o-rings and the leak is fixed.  I've also deleted the catalytic converter and I've got a 2.5" "catback" going into a magnaflow muffler.

For my future plans, I'd like to restore the car to its original glory and make it into a fun, reliable cruiser.  My next modification is to redo the suspension with Racing Beat springs and new shocks/struts all around.  Also, I want to get a Racing Beat header so that the exhaust is entirely opened up.  Finally, I need to try to get rid of a nasty backfire that I've got when redlining or engine braking.

I consider myself a car enthusiast (not really brand-specific) and lived in the VW world for a while.  My DD is a 2000 MT V6 Passat and my wife's car is a 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen.  Also, I'm into photography and the craft beer scene.  Looking forward to meeting everyone and hanging out.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:03:17 AM by erickrause »

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: Hey guys - new member with 1980 SA RX-7
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:03:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  We will have to sample some of your craft brew sometime.  I know a couple of other guys in the forum have gotten into craft brewing also.  We look forward to seeing you at many more meets.  Thank you very much for helping me with the take down of the fence from dream cruise.  your help saved me a lot of time.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline erickrause

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:34:57 AM »
No problem.  Looking forward to hanging out more!

Offline erickrause

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 10:41:36 AM »
Also, here's some shots of the car after the dream cruise.  Also shared in the 1st gen build thread forum:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, on Flickr

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login by You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, on Flickr

Offline murz

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »
Hey Eric! Was a pleasure meeting you and your wife, love your car! Definitely one of my favorites! I've never made my own beer, but I love beer!! Definitely would love to try some new stuff! The backfire could be caused by a bad shutter valve, I know they had them on the fbs, probably had them on the SAs as well. Thanks for coming out and joining the club Eric! Look forward to seeing you again soon!
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline erickrause

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »
Nice to meet you too, Marcus.  Thanks for the advice about the shutter valve.  I'll check it out.  Also read it may be the ACV on rx7club.  Either way, I'm probably going to wait until the weather gets crummy.  Just want to enjoy the car for the rest of the summer until I tear into it.   :)

Offline murz

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 07:14:41 AM »
Didn't even think about the ACV, yeah that could definitely do it! My Vert backfires at 6k + when shifting it's not too loud... I think it sounds pretty mean actually.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline Chibana

• My Website
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 11:14:52 AM »
Nice RX-7!
2014 Mazda3s GT Hatchback
2009 Sparkling Black Mica RX-8 GT
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login