Author Topic: dandoes FC3S  (Read 7047 times)

Offline dandoe

Re: dandoes FC3S
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2016, 06:01:47 PM »
Thank you everyone, its coming along slowly!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nice work.

A 1/4 inch between the pan and rack should be perfect.  I'm no power steering expert, but my understanding is that it can run in a non-variable effort condition.  But maybe variable effort is needed for drifting?

Let me know when you want to do the cross member and we will make it happen.

yea depending on how it is controlled on the 2JZ pump i could just have it set at a certain pressure level or amount of assist. I will let you know about the trans mount, hopefully within the next 2 weeks.

Ever end up weighing all that sound deadening?

No i have not but it has to be more than 50 lbs including the sound deading mats

I have also found the slip yoke for the 350Z trans which has a 1350 u joint on it. I am going to see what it would take to adapt this to a TII driveshaft as this is probably my best option. Anyone have a spare TII driveshaft laying around?

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 03:58:23 AM »
I wouldn't bother with a TII driveshaft for what you are doing. They are non servicable, so if the rear u joint on your driveshaft goes out you are hosed. You need to go ahead and build a custom driveshaft. We just did it for the lemons car. You need a 1350 weld yoke for the front or something like a 1310 and a conversion joint. For the rear you need a 7260 weld yoke, a 7260 joint and the 7260 yoke flange that bolts to the mazda diff.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline dandoe

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
I wouldn't bother with a TII driveshaft for what you are doing. They are non servicable, so if the rear u joint on your driveshaft goes out you are hosed. You need to go ahead and build a custom driveshaft. We just did it for the lemons car. You need a 1350 weld yoke for the front or something like a 1310 and a conversion joint. For the rear you need a 7260 weld yoke, a 7260 joint and the 7260 yoke flange that bolts to the mazda diff.

yea i realized that both the 350z and mazda u joints are non serviceable so i will be going the cusotm route. Driveshaft shop will build an aluminum one to spec for around 450. Both the TII rear diff flange and the 350Z slip yoke can be bought from powertrain industries. 

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »
Yeah, as far as I can tell Powertrain industries is the only company that makes the yoke flange.  A 1350 joint is huge by the way, is that from a 350Z or a truck?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline dandoe

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 05:03:27 PM »
its for the 350Z trans, as per powertrain industries website and also from the company who makes the adapter plates You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

also spoke with the guys who made my manifold and it supposedly shipped out today. Here are some pics that he sent me earlier.

turbo is also getting a 3" Vband mod for the turbine housing and coated at full-race then it should be shipped out this week or next!! I ordered a FPR and fuel rail kit so i can start planning and mocking up the engine bay side of the fuel system. I am planning to run a -6 line from the tank to the rail and then use the either the stock feed or return line as the return back to the tank. I need to decide what injectors i will be running and then order a pump/ fuel line with fittings and that should wrap up the fuel system.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 07:25:49 PM »
I would recommend a -8AN fuel feed and use the current feed as the return.  -6 would probably be fine but a -8 will be good for sure and handle more in the future  too. I went a little bonkers on my 20b car.  It has a -10 feed that splits to two -8 lines going to the rails.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline dandoe

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »
finally got my manifold and mounted it up for a test fit.

Ordered the majority of my fuel system too so i pulled the intake and cleaned it all up. Ended up running -8 as the feed as wills right, might as well do the lines once.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2016, 06:35:04 PM »
Looking great man! That manifold is a work of art.  Lots of room on the side of the engine work a 2J!
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 08:49:23 AM »
That is coming along nicely.  keep up the work.  I cant wait to see it in person.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline dandoe

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2016, 06:05:26 PM »
so havnt accomplished much lately as my daily got t boned by my neighbor across the street. Ended up picking up a 2011 wrx last week. Loving this car!!  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

back to the RX7, turbo and wastegates finally came in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Had to test fit right away You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

then i wanted to wash the car because it was nice out so decided to see what hood fitment was like as i know everyone was curious. With all of the hood webbing trimmed in the problem areas, it will not clear by about 1 inch hitting the turbo. With the turbo removed, it barely hits the upper corner of the intake manifold. With the upper intake removed it closed perfectly You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

All of my fuel system stuff came in also. quick mockup of the rail and return line routing. Still need to order my pump.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

still have to make my trans mount and then can begin with alternator and intercooler placement, engine wiring, brake line relocation, and driveshaft measurements. Other than that i need to order a driveshaft, standalone ECU, shifter housing, and injectors.

Also was wondering what everyones thoughts were on chopping the upper radiator support. This would allow the best mounting of the radiator and provide more room for the fan. I have seen on norotors where people chop it out stating it is not structural but just wanted to see what your opinions were.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 06:30:54 AM »
Everything is looking good.  The upper radiator support absolutely has some structural impact. I removed it for my 20b and I wish I hadn't. I did add a new support to keep things stiff but it doesn't look as nice as it could, looks like I took the easy way out if you know what I mean. Also it forces you to use hood pins which look neat but I absolutely hate dealing with them and they are very dangerous if you forget to put them back in which can happen very easilly. Also the hood prop will no longer fit which is a huge annoyance because nothing you fab will ever be as clean and simple as the original.  I highly suggest nicely tucking a radiator in there if possible.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:43:53 AM by ITSWILL »
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline dandoe

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 06:33:05 PM »
stole my update from the club to post here! Got my street faction engineering bash bar installed and tinted out the headlights

picked up a supra 2jz intake manifold and throttle body so i dont have to deal with the pesky DBW throttle body. feeling all the wrinkle black here, valve cover will get the gloss black treatment soon

as seen before got my dump tubes and down (up?) pipe tacked together where i wanted them. the dump tubes will get extended and then all three will be cut flush to the hood.

mocked up the location of the FPR also You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dandoe

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2016, 06:37:16 PM »
majority of my fuel system- ID1000s and the rest of the my fuel system. still need to order a bosch 044

got the engine harness stripped down and routed. gotta order up a milspec connector next and some looming to finish it up. connector will run to the old speedo cable hole into the cabin then there will be a jumper running to the ECU.You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

this is fully wired up minus the wideband, a few temp sensors and the starter/alternator cable. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

dropped my subframe to do a refresh on all my suspension and then rebuilt the TII axles. Diff is a Kaaz 1.5 way

While my subframe was down i got my fuel system plumbed up.

trimmed the stock fuel line brackets for the -8

feed line routed

all tucked up

waiting on some -6 to finish the return from the rail to the FPR and then throw the bulkhead fitting on the fuel pump cover and that should do it for the fuel system. Engine is gonna come back out to run a new passenger brake line and swap the master cylinder. Also will clean up the rust on the frame rail and reroute the body harness.

Offline murz

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2016, 06:04:25 AM »
Wow, making a lot of progress! That throttle body is much smaller, glad you were able to find something better suited for that.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline dandoe

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2016, 06:57:41 PM »
thanks, hoping to find someone with a lathe so i can delete the traction control throttle plate and stepper motors to clean it up even more. would achieve this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

ordered this mishimoto SR20 240SX radiator and got it mocked up tonight. might rotate the oil cooler down alittle more so i can squeeze in the fans.

should get the return line and FPR plumbed up this weekend and hopefully get the radiator mounted permanently so i can plumb that up too along with the heater core. next is intercooler placement.