Author Topic: Tire Rack  (Read 2837 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Tire Rack
« on: August 30, 2015, 07:11:40 PM »
Today I completed my two day project which was to build a tire rack for my garage above my garage door opening.  I started out buying the 2x4's, set of three hinges, chain on Friday.  On Saturday I started my actual build.  I made the rack 22 inches deep by 6 feet long.  I offset the middle support with a 10 inch spacing. 

The reason to the hinges is so I can rotate the shelf out of the way if I need the extra room to get things in and out of my low ceiling garage.

I thought I had enough eye hooks and other material to complete the project Saturday night, but turned out I only had two eye hooks that were useful.  Here is a picture of how the project ended Saturday night.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: Tire Rack
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »
On sunday, I went to the store and purchased the rest of the things I needed which was additional eye hooks.  an adjuster with and open hook and a couple of other fasteners.  Once home I got the chain installed and adjusted in short order. The shelf is now level and ready for rims and tires. 

Here is a pic of the end result.  I threw a gxl rim up there that I had used for measurement purposes.  The next step will be to pull my tires out of the shed and place on my shelf.  Especially my winter race tires.

The chain hanging down in the middle is so that I can hook the shelf out of the way when I need the upper space to move things. 

Having a small garage certainly provides its own challenges and requires careful organization in order to be fully functional for the variety of projects that it gets used for.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:20:14 PM by ~Groll69~ »
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!