Author Topic: Lemons/ Chump FC Interest Thread  (Read 31987 times)

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Lemons/ Chump FC Interest Thread
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:39:50 PM »
As some of you have seen I have been trying to gauge interest in a lemons or chumpcar team for 2016. The point or both organizations is to provide a relatively low budget way to get a lot of racing experience.  Both are endurance type races designed to test the limits of cheap cars.  Winning a race in either lemons or chump isn't going to get your rich. Winning a chumpcar race gets you a trophy and 1000 chump dollars which can only be used to cover chumpcar entry fees which is a $1000 for most races.  Winning a Lemons race gets you a trophy and $500 in nickles. Both seem to be pretty laid back but Lemons adds a silly factor, I believe the highest honor in Lemons is the "legends of lemons" award for the most impressive car.

Obviously time and money are the big commitments.  My estimate for the first year cost of building a car, buying spare parts and running 2 events is $10,000 split between 4 to 6 drivers ($2,500 to $1,667 depending on number of drivers). Half of this money would be needed up front to get started building the race car. It's hard to estimate the time commitment but I would guess high and say it would take 100 hours per driver to develop and build the race car. 

For the second year I estimate the cost of maintenance/repairs and racing 2 events to be about $5,000 and the time commitment to be somewhere around 20 to 30 hours.

I think the FC would make a great racer and having a team from the MRC would help us build a car with our combined experience and parts! 

A few people have posted their interest in the chat box, but if you didn't catch the discussion there and are interested feel free to post here.  I would like to get everyone who is interested to meet up sometime during the weekend of October 3rd or the weekend of October 10th so we can work through the details and determine if this will be viable.  Also, if you know anyone else who might be interested and able to make the commitment let them know too, racing experience would be good but isn't necessary.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: Lemons/ Chump FC Interest Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 05:59:07 AM »
I am in for this.  Meeting during the week would be better.  We could meet in the evening of oct 3rd.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:38:29 AM »
I'm all for this, but like I stated previously time is going to be my issue. Count me in though, not sure when I'll be able to come out and meet up though any time soon. Either way, I'll be able to help out with the budget if we get a few people in on this.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:34:12 AM »
THIS is what makes it look so fun, even with all sorts of issues, fixing crap, and just beating on the car You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 08:31:48 AM »
Yeah I probably wouldn't want to beat the car too hard. I think we would all be disappointed with only 24 laps like the roadkill guys.

I had a long talk with a friend tonight who has raced Lemons for a few years with another team.  He had a lot of insight and is considering joining our cause.  His suggestion was 5 drivers because with 4 drivers if someone can't make a race you have to scramble to find a fill in who doesn't car about the car and will likely beat the piss out of it.  And with 6 drivers the time is spread to thin.

There will likely be a race in April at Gingerman next year but i think that will be too early.  I'm thinking we could make something by June or later. 

I definitely don't want this to be something that consumes all my time.  I think this will require a 3 to 5 hour a week commitment. 
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 09:06:53 AM »
I talked to a few of you already, but I have found a great FC for the lemons car since it already has a professionally installed cage.   This should save a lot of time.  So far Rich, Marcus and myself are on board for sure.  It would be good if we could get a commitment from 2 more people because I would like to buy the car soon.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »
i liked the car.  save us a bunch of work.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
Count me in!
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »
UPDATE:

The team is now complete with 5 committed members.  We pick up the FC on Saturday and the work begins! The race is scheduled at Gingerman for October 8th.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:21:31 AM by ITSWILL »
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 10:27:18 AM »
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 10:30:44 AM »
I've been looking into this all day at work so far today. Can't wait!
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 10:36:51 AM »
Just an idea... Maybe some sort of 787b mockery as a theme?
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 10:39:51 AM »
I went to register just a minute ago when I got to this page. We need a team name and a concept before we can register. So please think of some ideas this week and lets decide on a team name and concept this weekend when we get the car.

86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 10:43:53 AM »
Yeah I thought of that but when I googled it, it looks like it has been done a few times. 

Lately I have been thinking we could do something that makes fun of drifters somehow since it was supposed to be a drifting car.  We could be called "the drifters" and try to act extra cool lol.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »
as the drifters, we could go two ways with it or a combination of the two ways.  One is making fun of the drifting cars and two making fun of cowboy drifters who go from town to town.  just a couple of thoughts.
"Long Live Rotary"