Author Topic: Simplified Sequential and Hose Upgrades  (Read 1775 times)

Offline show_off

Simplified Sequential and Hose Upgrades
« on: October 25, 2015, 12:36:47 PM »
I was going to throw the Apexi Power FC sitting in my garage on the car, then the engine bay threw up!  It got out of control quick.

I started with removing the ACV and EGR, then it escalated to simplifying the rats nest.  The simplified sequential reduces several of the solenoids, rats nests, and other junk that will not be needed. 

All this is being done now.  I plan on pulling the engine this winter to fix the oil leak, put some low mile twins on (my primary is leaking), upgrade the fuel system (AFPR, Supra Pump, 1680s), relocate the battery to passenger side bin, and add a FMIC.  I will do some simple tuning before heading to Chicago in May to have Steve Kan tune it.

I'll try to keep this thread updated.
I have pulled everything apart, cleaned the turbo area, and added the block off plates to the LIM.  I have all new silicone hoses for the car to put on this week.  Fun times.

Offline murz

Re: Simplified Sequential and Hose Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 12:54:43 PM »
That engine bay is packed tight with all of the emissions components, hard to imagine a tiny 2 rotor is hiding underneath all that. Will you be running it sequential still or parallel? Good to hear you'll be doing some reliability mods, are you running a downpipe, or do you still have the pre-cat? I know that's a good reliability mod, unless you've already done it. Looking forward to seeing updates!
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline show_off

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »
The car has 3" exhaust with no cats all the way back. I've done a bunch of the reliability stuff already. I'm just going to the next logical step.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 04:40:34 PM »
Funny, I have the same docking station radio.  What are the 1680s for?  Maybe I'm just not in the know with FDs, but 1680s seem pretty excessive for twins.  I see that Steve Kan tunes Megasquirts as well, I might have to get him to tune my 20B as well.  Is he in Chicago now or is this another one of his nomadic tuning sessions?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline show_off

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 04:46:18 PM »
Steve travels quite a bit. He has tuned 2 of my cars, great dude.

850s are on the edge of where I plan on running with twins. 1680s are just insurance for now as I will turn up the boost on the twins. I will eventually have to switch over to ID injectors to run E85.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 05:23:33 PM »
Sounds like you have much bigger plans in the future!  Will be cool to see your car in person, maybe next year.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline show_off

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »
Double throttle delete was a pain in the butt!  I had to cut it all out because only 1 screw came out.  The AWS stuff was Easy.  Starting to get it done.

Offline murz

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 06:31:07 PM »
I'm guessing the throttle plate screws? I had some problems with those on the FC throttle bodies, those screws are so dang soft!
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline show_off

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
The secondary (double throttle plates) TB are restrictive and not needed.  I blocked off the AWS and DT junk. The main TB screws are fine, bit the DT screws were a PITA!

Offline show_off

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »
Well, I completed most of it last night except I broke a nipple on the primary intake inlet and this morning I broke the old air pump bolt off. That has been a PITA! I can't even put the new idler pulley on until I get the stupid thing out.

There is a lot less crap under the UIM now. Just have to finish the pulley, install the power FC, and start tuning.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
Did you find a new intake inlet part?  My 20B parts looks like its a different angle.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline show_off

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did you find a new intake inlet part?  My 20B parts looks like its a different angle.
Yes, I got one. Thanks.  Might need a new front cover since I butchered this one!