Author Topic: Michigan Rotary Club LeMONS car #2  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Haro2488

Michigan Rotary Club LeMONS car #2
« on: January 25, 2016, 08:30:52 AM »
Hello everyone,
I read your replies regarding my post about my LeMONS FC project. This is a car that needs some finishing touches and some TLC to be turned back into a proper LeMONS car. It's currently resting in Cincinnati, Ohio, so I will only be able to work on it here and there. Heading down this weekend to re-wire the mess that's supposed to be a engine wiring harness, but resembles headphones after you've placed them in your pocket. I will take some pictures so you guys can see the mess I get to work with. I am still interested in helping (in any way possible) with the other car. Here is some information on my current LeMONS FC:
Engine/transmission: Ford 2.3L Turbo 4 cyl (SVO/Turbo Coupe/Merkur) with 5 spd manual.
Differential: Rebuilt T2 LSD.
Wheels: Shit tons.
Suspension: Ebay coilovers.
Cage: Full Lemons-Legal cage (painted "Hangover Bile Green")
Future Plans: Needs new seat, Harness, Wiring rebuild, new kill-switch, possible engine rebuild, new fire extinguisher and mount, and whatever else I run into.

This car has already entered a LeMONS race and failed to finish 10 laps. I'm hoping to finish at least 11 next time it hits the track!
Thanks for reading!

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: Michigan Rotary Club LeMONS car #2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 07:37:22 AM »
I can't wait to see the pics of it as you progress.  If you can get it up this way we may be able to help you with it.  We are working every Saturday on the Lemons car 1.  Though I head up to ItsWill's place during the week to try to get things done too. 
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:14:38 AM »
Sounds like your car actually needs A LOT work less than our car.  I like the 2.3L turbo ford engine, definitely good potential there.  What went wrong that it only completed 10 laps?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline Haro2488

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 02:38:23 PM »
I have no idea EXACTLY what went wrong with the car that led to it only completing 10 laps. Previous owner mumbled something about circuit breaker (which it has none of). It was popping the ignition fuse every time you switched it on, but we found the short that was causing that issue. So now it cranks, but we have no spark. We think we have traced that issue to the for EEC module located on the distributor.
I have attached a few pictures of the birds nest. We removed the harness and realized that there were just a bunch of wires that were cut and not removed. We also realized they changed from speed density to MAF. So this car is teaching us something every time we turn around. Hopefully we can get this bad boy running next time I go down there.

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 07:36:23 AM »
Looks like it needs a total rewire.  How did you manage coil overs budget wise?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 06:52:39 AM »
A proper re-wire should help it complete more then 10 laps.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline Haro2488

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:51:56 AM »
The Ebay coilovers were already on the car when I purchased it. According to LeMons judge I emailed, once you buy a car that was already in a LeMons race you're basically grandfathered in. Here is an exact quote from him regarding the car.

"As for the car's value, if it runs as it sits and it hasn't been changed since the last time I saw it, I will say it is worth $400, giving you $100 to spend on stuff that is non-budget-exempt (check the rules for an exact list of what is budget-exempt). But don't worry about that stuff until you have made 100% certain that the car is going to pass the tech inspection."

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:27:58 AM »
That's cool.  We're rocking cut springs to start.

Amy updates?  Did you get it running?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline Haro2488

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 12:55:42 PM »
We did indeed! We had the TFI module tested, and that tested good. We were getting voltage to the TFI, and voltage out of the TFI to the coil, but no sparkage. So I tested the coil and it tested below spec on primary resistance. So I put a $19 dollar coil on it, but we still had no spark. Once again, we tested the voltage going to the TFI and found that this time, there was no voltage. then, my friend Sean was messing around inside the car with the wiring and had to run inside his house for a second. While he was inside, I tested the voltage again for shits and giggles....This time, I had voltage haha. So I hooked everything up while we had voltage (although an obvious short/wiring issue) and tried to start the car. Viola! It lives! We had to time the ignition a bit before it would run smoothly, but it eventually did. We then promptly removed the wiring harness from the car and I brought it up here with me so I could rebuild it haha.