Author Topic: New from Big Rapids  (Read 5420 times)

Offline FCSTARK

New from Big Rapids
« on: February 11, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »
Hello,

My name is Ian and I have an 87 Rx-7. I currently attend Ferris State for Automotive Management.

I got my FC3S a little over a year ago and a friend of mine mentioned that I should join the club. When I originally purchased the car it was bone stock. Since then I have started a little bit of a building process on it with the help of my friend Jake that has been a really big help in any of the questions that I have had. I am not completely sure what I plan on doing with the car as a final project but so far I have installed lowering springs, from my friend that no longer needed them since he has coilovers now, I am in the process of removing the emissions rats nest, blocking off the air pump and egr, blocking off the oil injection, removing the power steering pump and lines, a/c delete and hopefully acquiring an electric fan to take over for the viscous fan. Im not sure where I want to end with the build but so far I am happy where it is going.

I am excited to learn what I can from everyone in the club and I hope to hangout with some of the people in the club when it may be possible.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: New from Big Rapids
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:32:14 AM »
Nice looking car and welcome to the club
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline FCSTARK

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:44:08 AM »
Thanks!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:58:53 AM »
Welcome to the club.  I think we have some Ferris state alumni on here.

I would recommend you leave your rats nest, air pump and EGR alone if everything is otherwise stock.  Deleting the oil injectors is up to you but it makes things inconvenient when filling up.  On the plus side the lubrication is better with premix if done right. I don't think these cars need power steering either, others would disagree.  When you delete the power steering make sure you do it the right way by welding the quill and packing it with grease or swap it out for a manual rack or else it will feel sloppy and wear out prematurely. I never had a problem with the stock mechanical fan on an RX-7, I have however had 2 electric fans fail and leave me on the side of the road in RX-7s.  Good luck going forward with your build.

86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 10:00:10 AM »
Welcome to the club Ian! These cares are excellent platforms whether staying stock or going full out modified, or in between. I know it's hard to go all out with a build while in school, but if you have any questions let us know. Got any more pictures of your car? Looks great!

1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline FCSTARK

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 04:58:10 AM »
I have already blocked off the parts that were needed for the emissions because I didnt want to have more things that could go wrong with it as I drive it, such as vacuum leaks because I have already had a few issues when I first bought it. My friend who has helped me out with learning and working on it recommended that I pre-mixed and so I was for the month I drove it before I put it away for the winter and started working on it. I didnt know about welding the quill on the rack, which I will hopefully complete within the next week or so, if I can get some help on it. And it has definitely been hard working on and building it while attending school but I have had plenty of help from my friend jake.

The picture where the wheels are different colors are from the Bulldog Rally that the Bulldog Motorsports Club here at Ferris put together and I wanted to stand out while driving across the state :)

Offline murz

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 05:17:54 AM »
I need to get my quill welded too for manual steering as well. I'm not really for four lug wheels, but those look good on yours.
1993 VR R1

Offline FCSTARK

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 07:31:22 AM »
I need to weld mine as well. The 4 lug and the wheels are stock. I have been looking for a newer, nicer set of none stock 4 lug wheels to put it on, which is seeming to be a more difficult task then I originally thought lol

Offline FCSTARK

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 05:58:36 AM »
Well I got it all back together monday night with some help from friends and it started up first try! unfortunately one of the fuel lines split open, but I got that changed last night and now it starts up without issue. She idles a little high but I think I still need to mess with my throttle cable a little bit to bring the idle down. I do have a small leak where my OMP block off is, I guess I didnt use enough rtv when putting it on. Still have to weld up my power steering quill but im just happy that I didnt have any vacuum leaks after removing everything I did.

Offline murz

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 09:55:15 AM »
Good to hear! The fuel line is pretty scary, original factory lines? Glad she's running good now.
1993 VR R1

Offline FCSTARK

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »
Fuel lines are very scary haha, but it was the fuel line that's from the primary rail to the secondary rail. I already replaced it once but I guess after having it off and back on a few times it must have worn out. Finally put a new one on without having to tear apart the intake again after about an hour of frustration.