Author Topic: Electric radiator fans  (Read 1220 times)

Offline FCwidman

Electric radiator fans
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:54:09 PM »
Who's running electric fans and where did you get them from? I've heard of fiero fans and the mercury villager/Quest fans. And with the extra electrical load did you have to upgrade the alternator? cause mine already hates my sub so I can't imagine what it'd be like when the fan kicks on high.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
Re: Electric radiator fans
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 10:03:54 AM »
I think the Ford tarus is another popular e-fan to use.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 04:14:57 AM »
I have used the Taurus fans, but only because I had to because of packaging.  I never had a single issue with my stock fan. I have had more issues than I care to think about with electric fans. And remember there is no real power gain over a properly working mechanical fan.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline FCwidman

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 07:25:06 AM »
The e fan is more for looks than function. I'm not expecting more cooling and on the pulley im running the holes for mounting the stock fan are off and I havnt got around to redrilling them
I should probably just redrll them now that i think about it, Id save some money lol

Offline murz

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 11:28:04 AM »
I'll agree the E-fan looks way better, but I'd upgrade the alternator, mine was dieing once a year on me. Not fun! I'm going back to old mechanical fan.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline elwood

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »
I'm running a SPAL on both my FBs.  They're 16" medium profiles that pull 13A.  SPAL is an OEM supplier, so I assume their reliability is good.  I'm running an FD alternator on both cars, and haven't had any issues.  One of them has 500W worth of audio, so that's around 40A (but those are Class D amps, so I doubt they're pulling anywhere near that amount at normal listening levels).

But really, the fan rarely runs on either car -- only if it sits parked and running or if I'm stuck at a light for a looong time.