Author Topic: Senketsu's 88 GXL  (Read 3313 times)

Offline murz

Re: Senketsu's 88 GXL
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 05:48:55 AM »
I could be wrong, but I thought it only functions at light load and under 3k RPMs? If it's working I'd keep it, my 86 when it was stock was stuck open.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline murz

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 06:14:15 AM »
Also, another thing I thought of, is to block off the fuel pulsation dampener. A lot of people will swear by it and say it shouldn't be blocked off, but there have been many burned down RX7s because of it leaking, and no negative effects are known from blocking it off. You should be able to get to it easily with the engine out, as it sits on the primary fuel rail.
1993 VR R1

Offline Senketsu

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 06:23:47 AM »
I didn't know you could block that off, but it's good that you can. According to the previous owner the dampener on the engine that came with my car ignited the engine at one point.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 06:34:27 AM »
Its fine if you block it off, the issue is dampening out the fuel pulses which can be done elsewhere in the line I believe.  If you can keep a proper steady pressure then its all good.  If your using an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, I think that in itself dampens out the fuel pulses so the damper become irrelevant.  I am not 100% positive so it is worth some deeper investigating before blocking it off.  If the damper caused the fire, I hope that what is on there is a new damper.  if it is new, I would leave it.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline Senketsu

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 07:04:41 AM »
Based on what I've read deleting the dampener doesn't noticeably affect lightly modified or stock rotaries. Given that it lowers my chance and of catching on fire and only requires parts I already have and some time, I'm just going to do it. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline murz

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 08:43:59 AM »
Good, probably the best thing to do, especially since the car already caught fire! Looks like the dampener is situated on the front side of the engine, may be a bit more of a pain to get off that way.
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2016, 11:21:14 AM »
Pulsation dampers are generally there to reduce fuel pulsation noise. Never had a problem with one in my experience.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline Senketsu

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 12:15:32 PM »
well all it takes to bypass them is the banjo bolt off my slightly crispy 88 fuel rail, and I've heard of enough cars that have had this problem for me to take it seriously.

Offline murz

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 05:49:35 PM »
How goes the build??
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »
Where'd you go?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline Senketsu

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 03:50:36 PM »
I'm still here, but between working, going to school, and a few other unexpected family/personal things I haven't had much time to work on the car. Things are finally freeing up some and over the past weekend so I cleaned the garage and I got into the trans a little bit. Thought I would just change the shift return spring, attach to the motor and drop the assembly in place, but found the shift rod was loose and no gears were engaging so I pulled it apart. Everything looks good, just came off the shift forks I guess. I need to replace the tailshaft bushing and rear main seal (hopefully tomorrow) and then this weekend I want the engine and trans in place.

Stupid question: where can I get replacement studs for a racing beat presilencer? Am I better off pulling whats left of the existing studs and threading the holes?

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 05:52:52 PM »
Just get the old crap out of there and put some bolts in.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline Senketsu

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »
okay, so here's a major project update for those curious

what's new:
I installed the manual steering rack, replaced the worn out components in the trans and reassembled it, attached it to the replacement engine, stripped the components that I no longer need off the engine, got the engine/trans in place and bolted them in the car, and I've begun hooking everything back up to the engine.

still to do before the end of November:
I have to hang the exhaust (which is ready to go in), replace some melted connectors and finish repairing some chewed up sections in the wiring harness (which I suspect are causing my parasitic drain and headlight issues), once the wiring harness is done I can reinstall the intake manifold and throttle body, and I'll replace/refill/bleed all the fluids in her. She'll still need more work, but she should be able to move under her own power. Unfortunately I'm losing my garage space soon, so that's probably all that will get done before the cold ends my fun. Just enough to move her under her own power to a spot where she can hibernate...

things to do next year:
-fix parasitic drain and get the pop-ups working (if repairing the rodent damage in the wiring harness doesn't solve this)
-replace shocks and springs
-replace fuel pump and lines
-install DTSS eliminators
-replace missing bits of carpet
-restore paint
-reassemble dash

things to do some time way in the future:
-replacing all carpet/headliner
-reupholstering seats
-window tint
-nitrous (maybe)
-new paint (blue)

and that should pretty much cover things

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2016, 07:18:36 PM »
How is everything going? Did you get this thing running?
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo