Author Topic: Update on the new FD...  (Read 2536 times)

Offline pjr

Update on the new FD...
« on: July 09, 2016, 06:24:35 PM »
Hi all:

Ran into Team Groll this am at M1 Concourse "Cars & Coffee" and Rich encouraged me to post an update on my FD. Here goes:

You may recall that I acquired the car late fall 2015 after selling my 2nd NSX. It's a southern car, red with tan seats and carpet. Came from Pettit Racing in Florida, with a fresh rebuild by Cam Worth. About 60k miles. AST, air pump delete, downpipe, RB exhaust, K&N intake, Pettit coilers, new pillow balls.

I've done a lot of little stuff. Wheels and tires was a long painful search, but I found a little company out of Miami names Traklite wheels.   I wanted something with dish, and in silver, and their Holeshot model worked out great. Got a staggered set of 18x8.5 (235/40) and 18x9.5 (275/35).

Other work i did over the winter included some simple installs: JDM taillights (thx Matt Gold), JDM Effini logos (RX7.com), clear-lens front running light modules (thx eBay) which i think really look great, and pseudo CF door sills (thx TurboJeff).  I also found some new OEM exterior door handles on RX7Club (GoodfellaFD3S) and installed them as well.... look and feel great.

I detailed and restored the interior, and painted the wiper arms.  I pulled out much of the aftermarket stereo (which sounded great) but i really wanted the weight reduction and reclaim the space in the trunk eaten up the Sony subwoofer and two amps.   (P.S. If anyone is looking for a subwoofer, enclosure, and 1000w sub amp for cheap, let me know).

I sent my shift knob to "Hulan FD3s" on RX-7 Club  and he recovered it in leather (black with tan stitching) and included a boot to match.  He's up in Newfoundland, Canada, a million miles away, had to deal with customs forms and the rest, but was really worth it! Very reasonable and it feels and looks great.

The biggest interior project was the seats:  tan, gross, cracking, uncleanable. Other than that, they were fine.  ::)

I pulled out the seats  and recovered them with Italian leather skins that "Salva" on RX7Club has produced by his brother-in-law right in Italy. Throwing out the old skins was a treat, and the new ones look and feel great.  I "colorized" the stitching in tan to match the carpet (long story). I want to find some black seat plastic parts (base and recline handle) but the search goes on.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:28:59 PM by pjr »

Offline pjr

Re: Update on the new FD...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »

I've had a pretty good summer with the car so far. Lots of fun to drive.  I had it out at the big "Eyes on Design" show in June, and we got an award, which was pretty cool.   Had it at Rolling Sculpture in Ann Arbor last night, and I was hounded the entire evening with people asking me about the car. I had to walk away for dinner just to get a break!

Some pics: first, my buddy trying to shake me with his 2004 NSX (no luck bro) on a large group ride sponsored by the Points and Condenser Preservation Society:

At Pasteiners Cars and Coffee last week:

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:36:24 AM »
The car looks great too.  It was great seeing you again.  BTW Thank you for the floor mats.  They fit the FC perfectly.  They are currently in the vert.  I look forward to seeing the rest of the progress on your car.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:36:24 AM »
Looking good! Glad to see you're enjoying it, sounds like it's been a lot of interior work, have any pictures of the interior?
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline pjr

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:21:35 PM »

Took some new pics... Interior:

And a few others:

Offline Mark.c0000

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 04:31:29 AM »
That is a damn nice looking fd.

Offline pjr

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »

Thanks! There's still more I want to change.....  I am going to replace the Pettit coil overs with a set of Ohlins.  I got a used set this week, and I'll probably bring the car to a shop to install so they can set the levels precisely. Car needs an alignment too, so I'll get it all done at once.

Next year I may install a Power FC.  Not quite sure yet....

Offline murz

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 06:30:51 AM »
That interior looks like a modern day sports car, so simple too. How's the exhaust set-up right now? I think as long as you have the main cat still you shouldn't worry about over-boosting, being on the stock ecu.
1993 VR R1

Offline pjr

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 05:45:16 PM »
Thx for the kind words on the interior. It's pretty comfy too....

It's got the Racing Beat exhaust.  Pettit told me that they did something to protect from overboost, but damn, i cant recall what Cam did...

Offline Chibana

• My Website
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 12:09:35 PM »
It's too bad that I don't fit well in the driver's seat of the FD RX-7.  That is quite possibly my favorite car, ever.  At any price.  And yours looks amazing.  Not that I don't love my RX-8, but....
2014 Mazda3s GT Hatchback
2009 Sparkling Black Mica RX-8 GT
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline pjr

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 02:03:50 PM »

Off to Bansai!   Transported by car down to IN for some of Chris's magic. The primary goal with intercooler, PFC, and tune.   He's found other issues... nothing major, but just some shoddy work by prior shops and/or owners that just missed my radar. The list is surprisingly long....

Initial dyno was 282 rwhp.... looking forward to the end game! Of course, not in a rush. We have 3 months before I even dream of taking the car back out.

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 07:03:18 AM »
what's the list of things found?  what are you planning for an end game with it?
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline pjr

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 07:05:53 AM »
They found dumb stuff.... Koyo Radiator improperly installed; fan wired incorrectly; a/f was "pig rich" followed by a boost spike;  wheels were installed without the hub-centric rings; the Ohlins that I recently had installed were on the wrong sides...and metal shavings from idler pulley alignment issue! Did vacuum simplification, AST elimination Pettet intercooler, GReddy elbow, PFC, Denso Supra fuel pump; also installed their diff and trans braces along with an R1 strut brace that I recently acquired locally but hadn't installed yet. 

Goes back on the dyno next week.  The "after" result should be interesting! Not that the car was slow at over 280 rwhp, but I'm anticipating an extra 40 and a smoother curve....

Offline murz

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 07:35:02 AM »
How did the car do after all that?
1993 VR R1