Author Topic: body work  (Read 3461 times)

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
body work
« on: September 12, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
anyone do decent body work?  I want to get going one the body work for my car in order to repaint it.  I need help with all of the prep work for it.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

Re: body work
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 11:04:37 AM »
Not me, but I don't mind helping with the prep work. My good buddy's father owns a body shop in Pontiac, and they have plenty of RX7 experience, not that it matters.
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 11:09:20 AM »
I want to get serious on the body work, definitely need help with prep work.  Need someone who knows what's going on and how to prep it properly so that I can get it completely ready for paint.
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 09:12:21 AM »
You need to completely remove any rust and weld patches in place. You need to get a 110v welding machine to start. Once you get that done you have to pull and smooth all the dents and straighten and other damage. The body filler to buy is called rage gold. Don't waste your time or money on bondo.  I know what needs to be done and I can give yiu some guidance and lend you some tools, but I hate doing body work.

I know I have told you this before and I understand why it's not an option for you but it would be a lot cheaper and easier to buy a clean shell and swap stuff.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:16:12 AM by ITSWILL »
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:57 AM »
I would love to have a turn table rack for the car.  that way I can rotate the car to work on it without a lift.  harbor freight welder seemed to have a lot of good reviews.  I will have to pick that up since it is in my price range.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 08:34:37 AM »
How much is a harbor freight welder going for? I may need one eventually.
1993 VR R1

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 11:37:39 AM »
I think it was around 100 right now for a 115 volt wire feed welder.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 04:55:48 AM »
I have used those welders. They work sometimes, all in all they are shit.  I would suggest a good used Lincoln or miller.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 05:57:53 AM »
Challenge is to find a Lincoln or Miller in an affordable price range.  I definitely prefer to have a better brand then what is found at Harbor Freight. For the price, it seemed to have a bunch of recent good reviews.  I wasn't seeing many people having as much problems other then dialing in the right speed for it.  The Harbor Freight one had less adjustability.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 06:06:04 AM »
I did download plans so that I can build an auto rotisserie to put the car on which will make it easier to do body work on it.  especially the underside.
"Long Live Rotary"

Offline murz

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »
auto-rotesserie... I want to see this!
1993 VR R1

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »
Craigslist

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login