Author Topic: MaruRX7 1990 GTU Build  (Read 3286 times)

Offline MaruRX7

Re: MaruRX7 1990 GTU Build
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 05:40:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also noticed the alternator upgrade, always a welcomed upgrade.

Yeah, i was wondering about that. I knew it wasnt a stock FC alternator and im not familiar with what the FD alternators look like, so i just assumed that is what it was, just havent had the time to look it up. Im not a fan of how they rigged up the tensioner though, that i something that i am going to address. It works, yes, but it looks like garbage.

Offline murz

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 06:29:16 AM »
Looks like a Taurus alternator. That's a common swap from the weak FC alternator.

1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline MaruRX7

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 07:57:51 PM »
Looks like a Taurus alternator. That's a common swap from the weak FC alternator.

Yup, sure does look like it! I would have to compare part numbers to be sure though, at least for the 'log book'

Offline MaruRX7

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
Did a bit more work on the car today... unfortunately the evening started with replacing the wick on my kerosene heater, which was insanely frustrating for me, but i'll spare you the details of that here.

Today's limited accomplishments include installing the new brake booster and adjusting the input rod from the pedal onto the brake booster. I mention this specifically because it was a pain in the ass by myself. Set booster in place, tighten one nut down to hold it snug to the firewall... test to see if the pin will go in... nope... unfasten the booster from inside, get out of the car and into the engine bay, pull the booster out part way... go back in the car, adjust the rod at the pedal... get out of the car and go to the engine bay and put it back in place... back in the car, tighten it down again, check adjustment again... wash rinse and repeat like 4 times, until i was somewhat satisfied. I'll probably redo it when i have a second pair of hands to avoid the back and forth.

Second accomplishment was rerouting the main positive cable that formerly went to the battery in the engine bay. There was a Positive cable that essentially just jumpered from the alternator to the 'chassis' cable which runs to the battery in the hatch. I eliminated the jumper cable then ran the chassis cable to the alternator. BUT WAIT, that's not all... i didnt like the way that it looked draped about the engine bay between the back corner of the firewall and the alternator, also didnt like the way the other alternator cables were routed through by the oil fill and spark plugs... SO i threaded them through the gap in the intake manifold. I guess the kids these days call it a 'wire tuck' ;D

I also removed the coolant hose that was connected from the 'drivers left' side of the engine to the firewall/heater core. Reason being is that it was about a foot too long, and it also was looking janky in the engine bay. I will replace it with something more appealing. Mishimoto sells silicone hose by the spool/roll. Maybe i'll get some of that and start making my own hoses, who knows at this point.

I already cant wait for tomorrow, i have some more stuff that i want to get done! Need more hours in the day, preferably daylight hours!

Offline MaruRX7

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 02:13:47 PM »
NEW PARTS!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline murz

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 09:39:02 AM »
Very nice! I already miss my old header, I see they've changed the design a bit too.
1993 VR R1

Offline MaruRX7

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »
Thank you!
Yeah, definitely different from my old one. Although this one is stainless where my old one was mild steel.

Offline MaruRX7

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »
Did a whole lot of stuff last night, got a bit carried away with the momentum of things... but here are some photo updates!

Major progress made!
New brake booster is installed
New brake master cylinder is installed.
New Racing Beat Stainless braided clutch hose installed.
New Exedy Clutch slave cylinder is installed.

Upper and lower intake manifold removed.
Rats nest of vacuum hard lines removed (permanently?)
Fuel rails and injectors removed.
Radiator and all hoses removed.
All Air Conditioning(except the line on the firewall and components inside the cabin) permanently removed.
Exhaust gaskets installed in the Cat-back.
LOTS of general cleaning in the engine bay and transmission also.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MaruRX7

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 06:41:46 PM »
Not much progress to report because Auburn hills forced me to relocate the Millennia back into the garage...

I took off the front bumper/fascia... 1 bolt broke on the drivers side, despite constant PB Penetrating oil soaking and turning the nut back in, spraying the crud off the threads and turning it back out several times.

Put the header on, as more of a mock up and to store it out of the way... Discovered a problem.

Instead of working on the RX7, I have been tearing down the Millennia. I took the dash out of the Millennia so that I could remove the engine harness and ECU. Once I get that car torn down to scrap the shell, then there will be more steady RX7 progress.

Oh yeah, got my Title from the state quicker than my plates, which i still don't have, i must say. But anyway this is what it came to me as:

REALLY!? No model, no mileage.

Maybe it is a MX-6, or a 626 coupe, who knows. Hopefully the VIN is correct, i just realized that i havent checked that to confirm it is the same on the title as it is the car.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:55:24 PM by MaruRX7 »

Offline MaruRX7

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »
Beautiful February day, so i decided to go out and do a couple little things, then motivation took over and then, things happened...

Offline MaruRX7

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 04:56:22 PM »

Offline fidelity101

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 07:38:45 AM »
the expression on your dog's face is priceless!

Offline toplessFC3Sman

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 03:17:15 PM »
Its like he (she?) is asking "Now why did you go and do this?..."

Offline MaruRX7

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 04:09:09 PM »
Haha, yeah, he is a character. I put him on the engine just to give some of my not-so-rotary-inclined friends a size comparison. Here is the side view:

Offline murz

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 01:53:39 PM »
Make any more progress recently? It's RX7 season haha.
1993 VR R1