Generation Specific > 2nd Generation Specific

Drivetrain noises

(1/3) > >>

FCwidman:
Hey guy, didn't want to clutter the message bored with this question but
Every once and a while when I shift there's a clunk, kinda like something is shifting around under the car. And also a vibration at 2-3k with mild load but only in 2 and 3rd. I noticed it after I had put a solid front diff mount and new sub frame dog mounts, I drove it to Florida and back a day after I had done these and then the noise started.
First obvious thing I noticed was my trans cross member bolts backing out, those are torqued down and lock tighted now. The sub frame is still torqued down, only thing I can see that's potentially wrong is my driveshaft turns about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn with e-brake on, I'm hoping my ring and pinion haven't shifted.
So basically wondering if any one had any insight before I decided to tear my rear end apart .

ITSWILL:
Could the solid mount be broken?  I have seen the break in the past. Did you check your axles too?

Also, regarding a the front diff mount, I have put pinion snubbers in all my rx7s and friends rx7s whenever the diff has been out, with stock mounts and this combo is stiff and has worked flawlessly.

FCwidman:
I checked the solid mount as best I could, I couldnt get the front of the diff to budge by pushing up on it and couldnt see any cracks. my trans has been leaking fluid more and more rapidly lately and im leaning more towards that now, so pulling the engine and trans in the next few days to replace the front seal, rear main, and oil pan gasket. also give the front u-joints a better look. A rear end flush might be in the works here soon too, maybe ill find some killer wear marks on the ring. stay tuned

~Groll69~:
Let us know what you find.  Hopefully, it's just the seals that need to be changed and that you were just low on some fluid to cause the noises, but no additional damage.

FCwidman:
quick update on  this, engine and trans was pulled and new rear main seal, trans front seal, oil pan gasket, and oil filter stand o-rings were all replaced in an attempt to keep my fluids inside and not on my driveway..

Haven't noticed any noticable leaks but it's also been sitting in stains from the engine pull, however now the car will not go into gear while it is running. It shifts perfectly when it is off, the clutch is not disengaging at all. Slave was bled and did nothing, new slave was put on and same problem. the pedal has no pressure at all and does not build any, although sometimes it feels like its getting better during bleeding but quickly goes back to nothing. Will also stick to the floor on occasion. fork does move a good inch or so

Trans just got taken back out tonight to check if the throw out was put on backwards, it appears to be on correctly unless i've been putting them on wrong my whole life. didn't get a chance to look at the pressure plate, but thats next on my list of things I might have rushed through too fast and somehow installed wrong. After that I'm thinking maybe a bent fork(looks perfectly fine), clutch master cylinder is bad, or I just need to bleed the slave for another 3 hours.
Also drive shaft fron u-joints were cracked and popping pretty good, driveshaft seems to be toast for now. Recieved a replacement from Murz, thanks again! maybe that was the source of vibration.

I'm at a loss on this and was putting all my eggs in the throw out being backwards basket, I need the car on the road in the next couple days to get it ready for grid life, I'll try a clutch engagement dance at this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version