Generation Specific > 2nd Generation Build Thread

The hopefully better build thread than my last build thread, thread

(1/10) > >>

FCwidman:
So I have yet again bought another motor to build, only this time it is unfortunatly not a rotary engine. My buddy had a 4.8l ls sitting in his garage and needed it gone so i gave him a few doll hairs and now its torn apart in my garage at school.
 This time a have a better job and I'll have a job at school and will have much more free time to work on this project, so hopefully it doesn't end up like my s4 motor that I bought and get parted out. The engine has 230k on it and was pulled because it had a gnarly lifter tick, we thought that a cam lobe or lifter would be destroyed but everything in the engine looks pretty darn good for 230k,
This brings us to whats getting built on the motor,
                     -Cam(obviously) thinking ls6 or texas speed has a good deal going right now
                     - Lifters/pushrods
                     - Ls6 valve springs or the dual spring ones in the texas speed kit
                     - Ls1 intake or some aftermarket one that'll fit under the hood
                     - fbody oil pan and pulleys
                     - Leaving the bottom end stock, pistons and rods look perfect, I'll probaly get  new rings
                        though
Now I'm not sure if I'll be getting another fc shell or ruining my silver one yet, but if anyone comes across a cheaper clean roller (coupe or vert) thats not a million miles away let me know. Been looking at the grannys speed swap kit but was informed the ronin? mounts were better and gave more exhaust clearance. oh and also in the market for a used t56 if anyone knows of one.

I dont have too many pictures of the progress, cause we tore it down in about a day. but heres my table set up

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
heres the only pic I have before the tear down
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not too much progress will happen to the motor since it is in Big Rapids and I am back home in metro Detroit but that wont stop me from ordering a butt load of parts, so more pics of parts of as they come but for now if any one has some tips on what to get for the motor or for whatever chassis it goes into, let me know!

murz:
Can't wait to hear more on this, hoping you also find another shell for this too, everyone needs at least 2 RX7s.

FCwidman:
Hopefully I can get that t2 this weekend, also does anyone know anything about harness fitment? Will a truck harness work with ls1 intake and injectors or should I just get an ls1 harness. I'm pretty sure everything is the same except injector clips and tb.

ITSWILL:
The truck harness will work fine. What trans are you going to run?

I have f body exhaust manifolds and ls1 heads. I also have ls6/ls3/ls9 valve springs and a bunch of other stuff too.

FCwidman:
T56 off an f body or whatever I can find, only thing I have right now for the swap is the actual engine. If I don't go with the Texas speed kit, I'll buy those springs off you, also how much better are the ls1 heads? I'm not looking to make a butt load of power just trying to keep the budget to a minimal. Manifold wise I havnt looked too much into it yet but saw a few things about a poor man's header? Definitely want some aftermarket mid or long tubes tho.
Any chance you have an f body oil pan or pulleys?
Also with the harness(which I don't have, nor pcm) I want to switch to cable tb, so any 98-03 harness should work?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version