Author Topic: The hopefully better build thread than my last build thread, thread  (Read 5489 times)

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/6134846162.html

Guy is asking 1200.

By  the time you get the exhaust manifolds, intake, injectors, throttle body, fuel rails, water pump, oil pan and pick up,harmonic balancer pulled, heads, cam head gaskets, valve springs and descent ignition coils you are going to be well over a grand for less power and less potential.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline FCwidman

I have no real goals for the engine other than for it to run, I got the engine for a case of beer and some pizzas, my original plan was to just throw new lifters and cam in it and get it to fit in an rx7 or put it in my truck eventually. The rx7 route will just be a mess around car depending if I put it in my current Fc or get a beat up one,
And who knows maybe boost will be in the future, just kinda rolling with whatever happens,

I think I'm sticking with the original plan of just new lifters, cam and springs for now, I'm taking an engine machining class in the fall so maybe I'll wait to do something with it in the fall so maybe I'll do something with it in there, definetily cleaning the block in the hot tank before I paint it some obnoxious color

Been trying to get my silver Fc back on the road kinda makes me wish I would just build the rotary and Make the car pretty again

Offline FCwidman

Re: The hopefully better build thread than my last build thread, thread
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 12:39:06 PM »
As some of you already know, the ls didn't go into the fc.
Went to put the car in the garage for the winter, checked the oil and noticed coolant. about an hour later the engine was on a stand ready for teardown.

Did lots of cleaning and sand blasting at my schools engine shop, notice the ls isn't gone just shoved out of the way until I can afford to rebuild it

My end goal was to have the car running and driving the 2nd week of March, my Spring break. I believe I pulled the engine out the weekend of or before Halloween, so roughly 5 months. Decided to go with a half bridge and street port. used pineapple racing ep2 exhaust template and mazdatrix 6port bridge and street port. This was my first time ever porting anything, let alone a rotary. It definitely could of used a few more hours of smoothing and runner work, but I'll save perfection for the next one.
cut the diffusers out

I did end up screwing up the center iron, but luckily murz had an s5 iron laying around and I didn't screw that one up.

Apparently I didn't take any pictures of the bridges when I was doing it, this is the only one I took right before assembly.

I also decided I wanted to try and tuck the body harness since I was also moving the battery to the passenger storage bin, my original plan was to run it between the fender and body but I ended up not thinking it would fit so I just re-wrapped it in nicer looking loom and relocated the fuse box from the strut tower to in front of the radiator. I got rid of a few connectors like the suspensions adjustment and the horns that never worked and just cut the wires and taped them up.

Gave the engine bay a quick respray in arctic silver.

Don't have any pictures of the harness, but heres the new fuse box location.

This is the new engine color scheme, I decided to build the engine in my room which is in the basement.... horrible idea.

my roommate helped me carry the engine up the stairs and into the garage, either I miss judged the weight of the engine or we're both horribly out of shape.

poof the engine went

After I got everything together, fixed a few grounds and re organized the battery wires and it started.... then died. One by one each injector decided to leak after I would fix the one before it. Finally got all the injectors and lines to hold and now it runs and drives. my header is leaking pretty bad so it sounds like a tractor but the brappy idle is nice.
Car is still on the stock ecu and stock injectors so I haven't pushed the car at all, after I graduate in May I'll get a standalone (still undecided which one) and maybe new injectors..... possibly itb's  8)
But I got the car running exactly on my dead line and made it to my first weekly meet at ferris.

What's the best way to upload a video clip?

Offline FCwidman

Re: The hopefully better build thread than my last build thread, thread
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 12:13:02 AM »
Here's a couple short clips of the car.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline FCwidman

So the car has been running pretty good so far but recently after driving for a couple minutes it will start to break up if im driving below 3500. It misses and leans out (15-16) but the second it hits 3500 rpm it runs perfect. Doesnt matter the throttle position either just rpm.
Any ideas? Injectors maybe?

Offline murz

Fuel maybe? 3500 is when the ecu kicks the secondaries on i think. Might not be enough fuel down low?
1986 AS GXL Turbo swapped
1993 VR R1

Offline FCwidman

That was my thought, i was thinking one injector was sticking but it idles perfect, secondarys dont come on at idle do they?

Offline ~Groll69~

• Administrator
  • Rotary God!!
    • Elegant Lady Bridal and Tuxedo
The secondaries only kick in at 3500.  They aren't on at idle.  Maybe a bad/broken wire to the primary injectors or poor grounding from the keg to the chassis?
"Long Live Rotary"

An RX-7 is like having a slut as a gf! She will love you, but she will also screw around with the guy at the parts store, most of the local cops, your insurance agent, your apex seals, your bank account and your credit card!!!

Offline murz

Which injectors do you have in the primaries and secondaries?
1993 VR R1

Offline FCwidman

Still stock injectors in both, I'm gonna go through and clean/tighten all the grounds when I get a chance

Offline ITSWILL

• Rotary God!!
Probably needs a standalone ecu and a tune.
86 Base LS1 w/100 shot
88 TII 20B T70 turbo

Offline murz

What ECU do you plan on going with down the road? I think Kevin is switching from Megasquirt, not sure if he's selling his old setup.
1993 VR R1

Offline FCwidman

Yeah a stand alone is in the future, but I dont think thats what wrong. Just drove the car for about a half hour and it didnt act up, must be a loose connection somewhere. Or I just remembered I still dont have the map plugged in.
I havnt decided on which ecu yet, originally I was gonna do ms but Ive been looking into adaptronic recently

Offline murz

Add another ground from the block to the chassis, see if that helps more long term.
1993 VR R1

Offline FCwidman

Got the car to act up again, pulled it in the driveway and plugged in my broken map sensor and it went away, not sure if its related or just a coincidence. Hopefully it starts up later with the map plugged in